Reassurance about sea sickness

Mu sister got sea sick on her 1st cruise. It wasn't a bad case and didn't bother her all the time but she was concerned enough for the 2nd cruise that she had the patch prescribed. The doctor told her that since she hadn't gotten real sick that she might not need full dose because it does say it can make you drowsy. Dr. recommended she cut and use in half doses. That worked great for her. She changed the patch every 3 days and the only side effect was being very thirsty the first day. She stayed on it for a couple days after getting off the ship and never experienced any of the swaying that so many of us do after a cruise!!:)

I swear by the scopalomine patches. Anesthesiologists sometimes use them after general anesthesia to prevent nausea when you wake up. They worked for me so I tried them when I cruised. They were wonderful! Last March on on our transatlantic on the Jewel, we had 20+ ft. seas and I did not feel sick at all. However, my daughter is rather thin and wore them on a transatlantic in 2007 and was quite ill and the ship's doctor blamed the patch! They are not for everyone, but I will not cruise or have general anesthesia without them.

I have a houseboat and experience more motion sickness than I have on the 3 cruises I have been on. I take a dramamine around noon before we board the ship and take the pills they provide at the pursers desk once a day. I don't experience drowsiness and do fine the entire week. I experienced more motion last year on the Voyager than the two previous sailings on the Rhapsody, but have a Feb. 1st trip planned on the Voyager and looking forward to it as much as I did on the 1st cruise!

When we went on our 1st cruise I wasn't expecting to get sick at all. I don't get car sick, air sick, can ride roller coasters fine and have been on smaller boats with no problem.

We had an inside state room and on our first day which was a day at sea I started feeling nauceous at breakfast (I think we ate at the crown & anchor dining room) and I ended up throwing up multiple times that day and pretty much stayed in bed. I got some pills and was fine by the next day but after that experience I wasn't taking any chances on our second cruise. I got the patch for behind the ear and was 100% fine.

We go on our 3rd cruise soon and I will be getting the patch again. Who would have ever thought I'd be getting sick?? My husband actually suffers from vertigo and he was fine both times - it was the weirdest thing!

I would really think about the location of your cabin if you already know members of your family are prone to sea sickness.

Even though some folks say-you are only in your cabin to shower and sleep-many like to relax in the cabin too. Also-try sleeping feeling yucky. :( Depending on how long you sleep-imagine 8 hours in your jammies looking into a small bowl with water in it!!!:eek:

I, myself, have been lucky not to get sick but once or twice woke up in the middle of the night going-whoa!! My husband and oldest sons wear the wristbands and they swear by them.

Archived