USDA Scanner at San Juan?

jbc1947

What is the USDA scanner at the San Juan airport? Someone said we need to go through that scanner, before we get into some line. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone explain the procedure at the airport in San Juan? THANK YOU!

What is the USDA scanner at the San Juan airport?

Someone said we need to go through that scanner, before we get into some line.

I have no idea what it is. Can anyone explain the procedure at the airport in San Juan?

We flew up from Barbados, via St.Vincent and St.Lucia to get to San Juan PR - Oct.30th.

for our Victory cruise departing Sunday Nov. 2nd.

I don't recall going thru any special scanner

other than maybe a regular Security scanner looking for dense materials like guns,etc..

One would imagine that any Dept. of Agriculture scanner

would be looking for bugs, insects, farm germs..

that sort of biological hazard material?

Neither Wife nor I have any recollection of such a scanner, sorry.

When we cruised out of San Juan, we stayed an extra day after the cruise. We had to put our belongings through the USDA scanner. It pretty much looked like any other scanner, from what I recall. They're checking for live plants, etc. Don't want any strange bugs coming to the mainland.

I've heard, but don't know for sure, that if you come directly from the cruise ship, you don't have to go through the scanner.

If you go directly from the cruise ship to the airport then you do not have to go thru the scanner. Provided you do not remove the departure tags you placed on the suitcases. This is what I was told by the airport porter when I got off RCL AOS in Sept. He said if the departure tags were removed then I had to go thru the USDA scanner.

Several people in line BEHIND me said I must go thru the USDA scanner. I just ignored them and nothing was said when I checked my luggage for the flight.

We stayed an extra night in San Juan too after the cruise but we left all of our cruise tags on our luggage. When we arrived at the airport, they told us because we had our tags on there we didn't have to wait in line for the USDA check.

By the way, we've been to San Juan 3 times on cruises, only 1 time with an overnight stay, and we've never had to put our things through the USDA scanner when coming from the ship....

Here's the scoop:

Flights in and out of San Juan are considered US domestic flights since Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the USA.

The only thing that's different is that ALL luggage is required to be scanned for plants and fruits that could bring certain diseases back to the US mainland when flying back.

Before you proceed to your airline's check-in counter, go to any of the USDA checkpoints (clearly marked throughout the airport and usually right in front of the airline counters). Your bags will be scanned and an "inspected" sticker will be placed on them. After that, just proceed to your airline and check in as you would normally do for any domestic flight back home.

Carry ons don't need to be scanned at the USDA checkpoint because they will be x-rayed as you go through the security checkpoint.

Unless there are HUGE lines, the process should add no more than 5 minutes to your check in. However, keep in mind that during peak hours, you can expect a lengthy wait. I've had to stand in line for up to 30 minutes departing San Juan on that first bank of flights in the morning!

Here's the scoop:

Flights in and out of San Juan are considered US domestic flights since Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the USA.

The only thing that's different is that ALL luggage is required to be scanned for plants and fruits that could bring certain diseases back to the US mainland when flying back.

Before you proceed to your airline's check-in counter, go to any of the USDA checkpoints (clearly marked throughout the airport and usually right in front of the airline counters). Your bags will be scanned and an "inspected" sticker will be placed on them. After that, just proceed to your airline and check in as you would normally do for any domestic flight back home.

Carry ons don't need to be scanned at the USDA checkpoint because they will be x-rayed as you go through the security checkpoint.

Unless there are HUGE lines, the process should add no more than 5 minutes to your check in. However, keep in mind that during peak hours, you can expect a lengthy wait. I've had to stand in line for up to 30 minutes departing San Juan on that first bank of flights in the morning!

No big deal. They do the same thing when you fly to the mainland from Hawaii. Just checking for agricultural pests that could infect plants at home.

If you go directly from the cruise ship to the airport then you do not have to go thru the scanner. Provided you do not remove the departure tags you placed on the suitcases. This is what I was told by the airport porter when I got off RCL AOS in Sept. He said if the departure tags were removed then I had to go thru the USDA scanner.

Several people in line BEHIND me said I must go thru the USDA scanner. I just ignored them and nothing was said when I checked my luggage for the flight.

Just got off the Caribbean Princess in San Juan, PR. As soon as we left the airport shuttle and entered the airport proper, we were directed to the scanning machine. As others have said, it looks like one of the luggage scanners. By the time I walked from one end of the machine to the other my luggage was there. It didn't take longer than a minute. The operator was sending all incoming passengers through that check point. It was pretty much a non-event. Nothing to be concerned about...unless you're bringing back banned items. :) BTW, I did have the airline check-in clerk check for the OK sticker on my bag.

Jim

Archived