Is CDG that bad?

voyager70

We were able to use our One Pass miles for free airfare for our Med cruise next June. The only available route has us flying into CDG (on Continental) and taking an Air France connecting flight to BCN. I've read some horror stories about CDG and would be interested to hear anyone's experiences - good or bad - connecting through CDG. I realize we'll have to go through customs/passport control, but do we have to claim our checked bags and go through security again like you do when flying direct from Europe to the US? Our layover is 2 hours 10 mins. We are flying in a day early so at least that gives us some breathing room. Any advice? Thanks.

Did this exact route last August: Atlanta-CDG, CDG-BCN, with about a 100 minute layover, using Air France.

I think we were at the exact opposite end of the airport; it was a hike.

Our bags were checked through to BCN, but there was passport control/customs to navigate. It went fairly quickly. We made our flight easily.

Have a great trip!

Cheers

Mark

I realize we'll have to go through customs/passport control, but do we have to claim our checked bags and go through security again like you do when flying direct from Europe to the US?
At CDG you will clear immigration but not customs.

Your bag should be through-checked, so that you will collect it only at Barcelona - and you will clear customs (but not immigration) there.

Yes CDG is a big airport but not really that bad. Go to their website and study the terminal layouts. The in flight Air France magazine has a good terminal map as well. They should tell you before landing what terminal and gate your BCN flight is leaving at and which one you are arriving at. Find it on the terminal map. Really helps. If they don't announce the gates ask the attendant before descent.

Thanks for the info - I feel a lot better now! Not having to claim bags & go through security is great - that was a big concern. Aussieflyer I actually found FCO to be quite easy to navigate (although we didn't have to catch a connecting flight there) so hopefully CDG won't be nearly as difficult as I feared. Cheers -

Jason

We did something similar last December. Phoenix to Houston on Continental and then Air France to CDG and then Air France to BCN. We are in our early fifties and it was ROUGH. It was like an obstacle course. Up the stairs, down the stairs, through immigration, back through security twice. The BCN connection was a different terminal and you had to take a bus to get to it and go through security there. We had a bunch of people on various cruise lines following us as they did not know where to go. I would advise to not lug carryons and coats because it was difficult. I will never go through CDG again, unless it is my final destination or if I had 3+ hours to connect. Very exhausting and we have no mobility problems.

Hi Voyager 70

The problem we found at FCO was the sheer disorganisation especially to get through security - it was a melee! And the VIP lounge for our business class:eek: A shocker! (It was a code share flight with Alitalia so that might explain the total lack of any semblance of VIP!) At CDG I have found the people at least do queue up.

Archived