Pearl 12/7 crusie review - Kinda liked it!

wkelly5688

Sailed on Pearl December 7th.

We flew to Miami on Saturday the 6th and took a taxi to our hotel room at the Intercontinental. Very nice upscale hotel. Got a great deal at Double Click dot com. Super nice room, and the friendliest most helpful people I have ever encountered. Guess you get what you pay for! We bought some wine to take on board at a store just around the corner. Walked to Bayside Market place for dinner and some shopping. It is a really nice place to spend the evening and was a great start to the trip. A lot of places to eat and shop with bands playing, people dancing, playgrounds for the kids, etc.

We got up Sunday morning, grabbed a bite at Starbucks and caught a taxi for the short ride to the cruise ship terminals at 11:00 am. What a mad house! Taxis, cars, buses, everywhere picking people up and dropping people off. But our driver put us in front of the Norwegian terminal, we handed our luggage to a porter, and were inside at 11:30. After a short processing time we were on the ship at 12:15 and having lunch in Indigo at 12:45.

We toured the ship to get our bearings, went to our room at 2pm but no luggage yet. Ordered the Anniversary package and was expecting Sparkling wine and chocolate strawberries in the room but it wasn’t there. Had dinner at Cagney’s to take advantage of a 2 for 1 coupon. I had surf and turf (additional $10), DW had prime rib. Food was excellent but service was less than expected but I think it was just our waiter. The table beside us ordered surf and turf and they cut the lobster meat from the tail for her – I struggled with mine. Ordered Bananas Foster for desert and got no fire at the table. Found out later in Le Bistro that they don’t do fire at tableside anymore for safety reasons but the water at Cagney’s never told me that.

Monday was a sea day so we just chilled. Missed the CC Roll Call Meet and Greet. Thought it was at 1 but it was at 11 so when we got to Le Bistro it was empty. Imagine that. Had dinner at Mambo’s and the food and service was the second best on the entire trip. The Chili crusted tuna appetizer was killer and the desert was some kind of parfait thing with mango, papaya, and ice cream – WOW!

Tuesday at Roatan we did Fins ‘n Flippers. What an awesome relaxing place. Met Mike and Shelly from the CC Roll call. Was a little windy so I didn’t try the snorkeling but relaxed by the pool, had a 30 minute massage for $35. Lunch was Fundidos, Conch Cerviche and cold local beer. DW had a couple fruity something drinks. Again – WOW. And it was all less than $30 and you could nto ask for better. Sandy beach with chairs, beautiful grounds, a small animal area, and maybe 20 people on the entire island. What a day. Dinner that night was the Lotus Garden. Just OK. Nothing special. And when we got back to our room – surprise! Sparkling Wine and Strawberries! I had forgotten about it and not having it for sail away kinda spoiled it and having just had dinner, certainly wasn't in the mood for strawberries and wine. I am going to send a letter to NCL and bitch a little, but not sure what good it will do.

Wednesday at Belize we did the Mayan ruins. I already posted about that so I won’t go into it here but to say the ruins are awesome and it is long trip for a short stay. Belize is a very poor, sad, ugly little country. I was kinda glad to leave there and don’t care to ever return.

Wednesday we did the buffet for breakfast. What a mad house again! But found out later you can get the same things outside near the pool and a lot less people. Dined at Indigo again for dinner. No reservations and no problems at all. Good food and service.

Thursday at Cozumel was very windy and the ocean was rough (12’ seas). The beach at Chakannab Park was red flagged but they did not cancel the dolphin swim. Wife got in trouble in the rough seas and the dolphin had to rescue her! Paramedics were called and she is OK and said she would do it again, but not in those rough waters. I didn’t get to do anything but the Boogie board with the Dolphin and had to take care of DW so NCL and the tour operator refunded half our money. We didn’t ask because we knew the risk when we got in the water. They just did it and it says something about them being quality people. Went back to the port and did some shopping. Had lunch at Senor Frogs. What Hoot! A little pricey but you won’t forget it! Had dinner that night at La Cucina. That place is a waste of floor space on the ship. Maybe we hit them at a bad time but the service and the food was terrible. Everything was very bland. Save your money. Oh yeh. Same goes for Blue Lagoon. Ate there 3 times because it is the only thing open 24-7. If they were land based, they would go out of business in a month. The food was terrible and none of the three times did they get our order right.

Friday at sea, the ocean was still rough. Ship was rocking and rolling. Some folks getting sick but my triple attack of Ginger, Bonine, and Sea Bands kept me feeling fine. DW was a little under the weather so we just chilled again. Bought some Sea Bands for her on the ship and they seemed to help. Got an invite to a CC meet and greet and tour of a Garden Villa (thanks Mike, Shelly, Paula, and Bill). Got to meet soem of the people I missed on Monday. Cruising in a villa would definitely spoil you.

I had the buffet for dinner and it was OK. Typical buffet food. A lot to choose from. Overheard a conversation about the chocolate buffet that night. They did not advertise it that I ever heard or saw. It was not in the Cruise Daily. I went just to check it out. Very pretty and some tasty items but the line to enter the Garden Cafe started outside at the elevators. Grabbed a couple of things and took them back to the room. Too much like Grand Central Station.

Saturday we diverted to Key West because seas were too rough to tender at Great Stirrup Cay. This was fine with me since I had never been. Loved Key West. I would like go back there for a land vacation. We did the trolley tour, saw some sights, had a Cheese Burger in Paradise at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville (really good burger!), and did some shopping. A very kool place.

That night, we had our Anniversary package dinner at LeBistro. This was the best food and service of the entire trip. They went out of their way to make it pleasurable. Sang to us at the table, (Let Me Call You Sweetheart), and packaged our cake to take with us since we had desert from the menu. This one is definitely worth the surcharge.

As far as shows go, Sharkbait is great. Second city comedy is also good. David Naster is very funny. Didn’t care much for the musical productions.

Disembark was equally easy on Sunday. We were off the ship about 9. No lines, no waiting to speak of.

DW is not sure she cares for the Freestyle cruising but Pearl is a great ship. Very pretty, never felt crowded except at the buffet. Lots to keep you busy or lots to just to do nothing. It was my first cruise and I already miss it.

Bill

Thanks for posting a review.

Question: Is there a drug store or grocery store near the Intercontinental hotel or Bayside Market? I want to buy some Pepsi to take with us.

Thanks!

You can google " Drugstore/shops near ________ hotel, Miami and get a whole list of what is nearby. About 4 months ago someone also put up a map of all stores close to the port. You can also call the hotle directly and ask them.

I did tthe google thing for our hotel and found where the grocery, etc are. InOur case the cost of the cab fare will negate the savings, buti maay have our limo driver stop n the way in from FLL

Ketzela

You can google " Drugstore/shops near ________ hotel, Miami and get a whole list of what is nearby. About 4 months ago someone also put up a map of all stores close to the port. You can also call the hotle directly and ask them.

I did tthe google thing for our hotel and found where the grocery, etc are. InOur case the cost of the cab fare will negate the savings, buti maay have our limo driver stop n the way in from FLL

Ketzela

Thanks! I'll try the Google search and look for the thread with the map.

Hi

How did you get 2 for 1 dinner?

Thanks

Coupon book, unfortunately for whatever reason the Pearl stopped offering the 2 for 1 deals between 5:30 and 6:30 on our sailing even though the previous ones had them.

Ah well.

Thanks for posting a review.

Question: Is there a drug store or grocery store near the Intercontinental hotel or Bayside Market? I want to buy some Pepsi to take with us.

Thanks!

There is all kinds of shopping at Bayside Marketplace. I'm sure you can find what you want there.

Bill

wkelly5688 and Captain Choppers, thank you both for the information about area shopping. :cool:

I'd found the map of the mall directory the earlier poster mentioned, but wasn't sure if any of the stores would sell a carton of pop. So it's good to know that there is a Walgreens close by. We didn't take any pop with us last time and I really missed having it.

Thanks again!

First let me say that I am so glad your DW if ok and wasn't harmed in the rough waters. She is brave in my book for doing it to begin with, and extra brave for saying she would do it again. LOL. I am kind of chicken with those kinds of things.

Also, thank you for posting a great review. There seems to be so many great reviews lately where people are posting the positives and the negatives. I do have to say our taste in food must be totally opposite of yours because we thought Blue Lagoon was ok, but Lotus Garden we thought was excellent (and my DDP does not even like that kind of food). BUT.. I always say, food is the most subjective part of a cruise, IMHO.

I was surprised to read about the Chocolate Buffet not being advertised, but have actually read that here on the boards a couple of times lately. I don't know what's up with that but I hope NCL corrects that soon.

Thanks again for posting your review. Tell your wife I bow to her bravery.. 8-)

It was a very good review Bill, reminds me of how much I'm missing my vacation. :o

Side note, the chocoholic buffet was in the Freestyle Daily, it was just buried on the back page in small font. I remember hearing Linda talking about it on the PA and I went digging for it in the Daily to check on the time.

It was a very good review Bill, reminds me of how much I'm missing my vacation. :o

Side note, the chocoholic buffet was in the Freestyle Daily, it was just buried on the back page in small font. I remember hearing Linda talking about it on the PA and I went digging for it in the Daily to check on the time.

You are right. I missed it in the Cruise Daily. It is like they don't want you to know. And with the entire ship trying to get into the Garden Cafe all at one time, that might be a good thing! :D Thanks for the correction.

Bill

We loved the Pearl too. Such a beautiful ship! Food could have been better, but at least the Garden Cafe had decent food. Everything was fresh, hot, and often prepared to order. Our other dining experiences were disappointing, with luke warm food and mediocre quality.

It is reassuring to know we weren't the only ones with a late delivery of the honeymoon package chapagne. They actually roused us out of bed and insisted we accept the delivery that Sunday evening rather than the following day when we were awake. FWIW: champagne doesn't taste so good after brushing your teeth.:rolleyes:

I'm always surprised how many people talk about "third world" conditions in some of the ports of call. The countries are very different from ours, but beautiful to visit. We always find a lot to do, and can't wait to go back to Roatan, Belize, or Cozumel.We did the cave tubing in Belize and were really amused how few people were willing to sample what termites taste like (carrots!!), or sample the amazing Marie Sharps hot sauces at the lunch stop. We will probably go back to Belize for another land-based tour because cruises just don't give you enough time to enjoy the destination (and get some more hot sauces).

I'll admit both Roatan and Belize have sort of an ugly area around the ports, which reminds me of how ports used to be in the 50's back in the states. The only reason to spend time in these areas is to barter for trinkets. We are used to the street vendors, and for the most part are not offended. The vast majority of people in these ports depend on tourism, so don't want you to have a bad time (but they sure want to sell you something!). I have never met an unfriendly person in Belize yet, and their jungles and scuba diving are some of the best in the world. It doesn't bother me if a port doesn't have Mountain Dew, KFC, or McDonalds. In fact, we avoid U.S. chains as best as we can when traveling.

Archived