Silver Spirit maiden

CASHIPman

Meow, Jaffa, Debbie, Henry; really enjoying your commentary about the Spirit...good

to see the SS thread have some healthy new build discussion...pls keep it coming.

Also, don't like the reservation fee for Seisin and hope SS decides to drop it...one can

hope for the best.

Thank you ColonelWes for the encouragement. And in reply to everyone, I fully appreciate and would like the all inclusive fare to be truly inclusive. However, just for a moment, please imagine Le Champagne on the existing ships to be free of charge, how are they going to ration its admittance? Would there be consquential complaints too?

My choice would always be to stay totally all inclusive.

I would not have a problem paying a few extra $$$ for Silversea to stay this way.

But they can't have it both ways.

All inclusive is just that.

Silversea's repeat patrons are mostly sophisticated, intelligent, successful people & it's kind of insulting to try to pass this off as all inclusive.

I have no plans to cruise with the Spirit at this time.

One, because l think she is to big for me, I'm not a pack rat, and I'm not convinced they can deliver the same product and keep the service and intimacy levels up. Mind you l feel the same way with Seabourn's, Odyssey.

A woman business friend and myself had quoted 2 solo veranda suites for The Spirits first world cruise (2010) for the full cruise with the London and the Lisbon add on's, for the 120 odd day's and they refused to budge from the 200% solo supp's. They also refused any Venetian discounts. We would have considered at 165% supp's but no more in this economy. Even a 5% Venetian saving might have swayed us, but oh well!.

So they, Silversea lost out on both of us. We just weren't prepared to pay over $100,000,00 ea AUD for a basic veranda. That's just under $1000pn Ea.

We are waiting to see what is going to happen with the other 4 ships to see if they will add some grand voyages of 80 days plus after the Spirit kicks off.

It would theoretically be cheaper if two singles can share a silver suite (at 1.5 x the regular twin occupancy verandah fare, mathematically the same as +50% single supplement, and the silver suite occupies exactly double the space as a verandah suite on the ship). The two of them will eat the same amount of food as if they are on separate verandah suites. So draw whatever conclusion you wish from this.

I still like to hear suggestions on how should Silversea ration admittance to the Asian restaurant if it is free, and way too many passengers wish to try it, just as if Le Champagne is free! This is a practical question, though I support the principle of total inclusivity.

Meow,

They don't charge extra for La Terrazza and limit nightly attendance to about 50 passengers or so. It's by reservation and when it's full it's full. Why not do the same for the Asian restaurant? Silversea passengers are sophisticated enough to understand. Give each suite at least one reservation per voyage and if there's extra room then you can go again. That's how Regent does it with their alternative restaurants. Even Oceania does it that way without charging. If Oceania can "not" charge certainly Silversea should be able to do the same.

As I have said before I understand the charge for Le Champagne because of the quality of the wines offered. Personally, I have rarely seen Le Champagne full. More often it's two or three tables and the rest sit empty. Now they may have two venues being underutilized. Between the restaurant, La Terrazza and the supper club why should anyone want to pay for dinner on an all inclusive ship? Oops there I go again! It's not all inclusive!!!!

Good points. However, from the deck plan drawings, I have the feeling that the Asian restaurant will be smaller than La Terrazza, more like Le Champagne in size. At present, on average, you can eat once a week in La Terrazza (50 seats for 350 passengers). With the Spirit being larger and fewer seats in the Asian restaurant, the average passenger may have one chance only in several weeks, and if the cruise is less than that length, some may not have a chance at all.

Oceania does "grade" passengers by category of accomodation, the "white cards" have one access per voyage (say average two weeks in length), the "silver cards" twice, and the "gold cards" more (booked by their butlers). If Silversea does that, there may be complaints on "classifying customers even on a luxury ship". So each method of admittance control has its own problems.

Perhaps if they start by charging, and looking at the attendance, lower the fees, or even stop charging altogether if things seem to be in order and no attendance control is necessary. So this may just be a "learning curve" on what to do with speicalty restaurants with very limited capacity. We all agree that in principle, an all inclusive line should be all inclusive, but for practical needs, perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt and give them time to work things out.

Unlike the argument on "children on board", specific restaurant charging should not open any irreversible "flood gate", and it can so easily be fine tuned or cancelled altogether if the results allow. Any other thoughts from any one?

I agree Wripro,

I doubt anyone will miss out on any of the choices available.

And if the Asian dining was all inclusive as is the rest of the venues, then you could always add it's menu to the room service options as well. They do already serve some of the La Terrazza menu's in suite if you ask them nicely.

I was once told on any given night around 20% of all onboard guests dine in-suite. So if that is true then everybody would get a chance to dine Asian.

Then of course if they open it for lunch 2 or 3 times a 7 night cruise then everybody will have ample time to try it.

theoretically concur with Jaffa and Henry; follow the La Terraza model..however, if the capacity of Seisin does not allow one dining reservation per cruise, then Meow makes some good points...would be nice if Steve Tucker would weigh in on SS's thinking here.

I also would prefer a complete all-inclusive policy. It is really an important feature of what makes Silversea truly special. But I understand the logic behind Le Champagne. We have eaten there several times, and the difference is the wines. They just cannot do that gratis. And I think most regular customers understand that. But nothing that I have read puts the new Asian restaurant on the Spirit in that category. Caviar is not the reason. The quality of caviar served on the ships in recent years is mediocre at best. (Thank goodness for a very special caviar merchant at the Istanbul Spice Market!) Perhaps Meow is right, and this is a way of controlling demand. Anyway, we'll try everything on the maiden crossing and subsequent Caribbean cruise and let you know what we think.

DebbieH103: Interesting, the question becomes why would they need three hot tubs (not one dedicated for children which is now cancelled?!) Also, from the e-brochure's picture, the jogging track on the deck above the pool has been moved to the stern (around the chimney). The glass wall around the midship portion (right above the pool) of this deck has been extended to full height (instead of the usual half height of safety railings for the usual cruise ship jogging track), thereby "enclosing" it from the wind. Also, there are those sunbathing chairs all around on both sides (which makes it much wider than a jogging track). This shows a new design of a "two-storeyed pool area". Presumably, they will make use of both storeys when they hold those poolside barbeques for all passengers in one sitting, with a main floor and a mezzanine. Would Mr Tucker kindly tell us if this is the idea?
As we concentrated our discussion on the Japanese restaurant, my previous posting (at the bottom of the last page) has been overlooked. Any comments on this also interesting topic? Thanks.

Meow, u have eagle vision...methinks a two story pool deck is a wonderful Spirit characteristic; personally, if true, I will especially enjoy the jogging area fully enclosed

as I jog twice daily (early a.m, pre dinner) sometimes the deck is closed due to

wind/sea conditions...maybe this will preclude deck 10 closings. As you have mentioned,

a 2 two tiered pool deck will be a warm gathering public space for deck BBq's, viewing pool deck entertainment, sail away's..but for movies under the stars may be difficult looking down on the screen.

I mentioned wanting a totally all-inclusive. I never suggested wanting this ship to have a Le Champagne. On my last cruise over Christmas, one of the culinary events was a Le Champagne open house. Instead of featuring something they actually served there, no manager's wines were opened. They served the champagne from the room welcomes, and they served panorama lounge appetizers. Nobody gave an orientation on the restaurant, they just were available for questions. While I enjoyed the event because I chatted with other guests and did ask questions, I thought it was a waste of what the event could have been. Same with the room. They should have made one more restaurant double the size that was included vs. two that you pay for. Certainly not everyone is getting that big OBC, and those that are won't get it forever.

The Asian was removed from Regent even though free. I loved it there, but most requested something else. We will see. I would like to try it and give it a chance.

If it can't be part of the all inclusive nature of the ship it shouldn't be onboard. Lose the restaurant of it can't accommodate all the passengers without an upcharge. It doesn't belong on the ship. My prediction? Within a year it'll be bye bye Seishin!!!

Well, I say thanks to Steve Tucker for the update on the Spirit (note of about a week ago). For those of us on the REAL maiden voyage (from Barcelona), we are thrilled to hear that things are a little ahead of schedule. Keep that up! And keep up the sharing of tidbits about the progress along the way!

Best, NJBelle

NJBelle, I'm on the real maiden voyage, too, and am delighted they are ahead of schedule, but I bet the others are, too. I can't wait to see the ship and get on board. We had no plans to be on this itinerary, but now we are excited. We did Christmas on Regent Voyager last year, and that was great, but we haven't been on a ship over New Year's. Have you? If so, what was it like? Anyone else?

If you're reading, Steve, please have someone fix the website. When you click on the itinerary's shore excursion and go into the link for shore excursions on past voyages, you can only get to page 1, the Barcelona page, as soon as you click "Next", it crashes. It is the case on many of the Spirit itineraries.

Debbie, well said on maiden voyages (wheter first sailing or crossing) Spirit sailors delight w/regard Spirit build progress, and asking Steve to fix the excursion crash on Spirit itineraries.

Anyone else besides Wes/Ida and us arriving early in Lisbon? We arrive New Years Eve and will be at Lapa Palace. We're going to try Casa da Comida for dinner probably the evening of 2 Jan. Anyone interested in joining?

Hi Doug,

If you haven't stayed at the Lapa Palace before, you're going to love it. The service was amazing. They upgraded us and the bathroom was HUGE. They have a lovely "happy hour" in the lobby bar with a pianist. It's a "1st class" hotel and member of Orient Express Hotels (same as the famous Hotel Cipriani in Venice.

Not too far from the hotel, try "Eleven" for dinner. It's a trendy restaurant with a great view of a park (sorry forgot the name of the park).

Anyway, we stayed at the Lapa Palace last May before we boarded the Wind for our voyage from Lisbon to London Tower Bridge.

If you are looking for a limo service, please let me know. I used a company last year and they were amazing. Outstanding customer service.

Any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Your voyage on the Spirit sounds amazing. Wish I could join you.

Regards,

ScottToronto ;)

countdown.pl?name=ScottToronto&date=7-18-2009&image=venice&text=Can

If you are looking for a limo service, please let me know. I used a company last year and they were amazing. Outstanding customer service.

Hi ScottToronto

I'm a single woman who doesn't like taking taxis in foreign cities. Can you pls give me more info about your limo service in Lisbon?

Thankx for your help.

Cheers

Ging466

Thank you ColonelWes for the encouragement. And in reply to everyone, I fully appreciate and would like the all inclusive fare to be truly inclusive. However, just for a moment, please imagine Le Champagne on the existing ships to be free of charge, how are they going to ration its admittance? Would there be consquential complaints too?

It was free. All they asked was for you to buy wine from the premier list. They had no problem about reservations as far as I know. I didn't have any problem getting a table anyway. I'd like to see them going back to this system. I don't object to paying for wine pairing as long as it's an option and not a requirement to dine at Le Champagne.

I too remember Le Champagne when the dinner was free and all you had to do was buy a bottle from the premium list. It was still half empty every night. (I also remember when all they used that room for was wine tastings and private dinners.) It was a more equitable system than the current one. At least you could dine in there and not drop $400 extra.

Hi Ging466, Good evening!

I email you the information you requested. Just checking to see if you received it okay. Regards, ScottToronto

Hi Scott

Thank you very much for the limo info. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Ging466:)

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else is booked into Lapa Palace pre-cruise for the Spirit maiden TA cruise you might want to follow new reviews of the hotel. Orient Express has sold this luxury hotel to a private Portugese firm.

Got a quick response from the new owners of Lapa Palace. The hotel is now part of the Olissippo Hotels group. All prior reservations are being honored. Based on the e-mail I received, I don't think the service will slip. Sounds as if they know they got a good property and they want to keep it that way. Also got another couple who are friends of our from Regent to book the cruise. They are Warren and Judy Waite from Houston.

Archived