Silver Spirit maiden

CASHIPman

Meow, all pictures in the brochure are artist renderings vs photos..the only new rendering vs the one on the ship images page on SS home page is on p19, the pool deck which shoes a fabulous deck with large pool and 3 jacuzzi's..in the rendering their

appear to be chaise lounges on one side of the pool, backed up against the plexi glass along with the standard pool loungers. There is no additional information on cabin floor plans, info on the restaurants, theatere, the library or internet room. The deck plan changes from the SS homepage are the name of the humidor is changed to Connoiseur's Corner on Deck 8, and they list the jogging track on deck 10, as mentioned above.

Meow...concur 100% in SS stingy release of information on the Spirit new build progress...the absolute inverse of Seabourn's release of information about the

Odyssey's status (e.g., Odyssey blog, with photos, even a crew FB (Facebook) page with nuggets of information shared by the Odyssey crew). I google Silversea Spirit news for an update weekly..did get one hit this week with the news release below announcing a fancy interactive TV for each cabin:

(Key factoid: is the new interactive TV system to be placed in each cabin will

offer the largest on demand library of entertainment, educational and informational

videos offered on a lux vessel)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30576518/

ColonelWes, thanks for the info and the link on the interactive TV's. I know you posted something about that the other day, but that post seems to have disappeared. I hope that the new brochure appears in my mail soon. I look forward to meeting you and the others on this forum on the crossing!. Now to find a hotel in Lisbon...

I've been to Lisboa many times and this trip the focus is on the ship -- not the trip. I like to have Lisboa experience at cruise end - but I'll arrive day before embarkation - tired from long trip from West Coast - and an easy hotel with good bed, in-house restaurant - is primary focus.

Got a good rate on-line at Marriott, where I've stayed before. Easy cab ride from the airport, all big hotel amenities.

If city atmosphere not important to you and all you're looking for is a place to sleep before embarkation I think you'd be satisfied.

See you on board.....

Dusababy

from California

Dusababy, thank you for the hotel recommendation! The Marriott sounds right for our purposes. We will also be arriving the day prior to embarkation and will need a good rest. Do you know if the hotel is good about early check in? We'll be using early embarkation on the Spirit the following day.

Wellseasoned - my confirmation says 3 PM check in - noon check out -- I too will be early embarkation next day. Don't know how flexible they might be since I don't arrive until almost 6 PM local time.

One of the most important things to me is the "famous" Marriott bed. In my experience lots of hotels in Lisboa (except perhaps top of the line luxury) have hard beds -- not for me after traveling almost 24 hours.

Dusababy

Silversea appreciates your interest in our new Silver Spirit.

Since many of the posts on this board have asked me to provide information – and photos – on how the Silver Spirit is progressing. As mentioned above, the ship was floated out on February 27, 2009 and the Silver Spirit is in fact not only scheduled to be out on time, but she is actually slightly ahead of schedule.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have attached two photos for our loyal Cruise Critic readers. The two photos are an exterior photo and the Pool Deck. We look forward to welcoming you on board Silver Spirit when she is completed.

Steve Tucker

Vice President National Accounts and Eastern Region Sales

Silversea Cruises

Spirit-April-2009-Exterior_2.jpg.6e5b5d2a60b5b62eee106590090d022d.jpg

Spirit-April-2009-Pool-Deck_2.jpg.f5c3e3e581f0d78a8061da20ac7af2f0.jpg

Dear Mr Tucker

Thank you kindly for the two photographs. They do show that the newbuild Spirit is taking shape, but they do not show the details many of us are interested in. Hopefully, those will be forthcoming soon, as we remember details on the Shadow/Whisper were posted on the Silversea website much earlier in their phases of construction. Wish you the best.

meow!

Now that we are on the maiden voyage itself as of today (5901), I have started research. I love the pics, Steve, and I am excited to hear the ship is ahead of schedule so we can get more pictures sometime. Meanwhile, I like page 19 of the Grand Inaugural Voyage 2010 booklet. It shows what the 3 hot tubs and pool will look like in full detail.

Meow, the reason I brought up page 19 was because I did not see them in Steve's pics, either. I was looking at the printed page 19 of the brochure. I am glad to know the online version has this pic, too. I am amazed what they can do with photography these days.

OK, I tend to overanalyze everything. I had been referencing the printed Grand Inauguaral brochure and page 19. There are 3 hot tubs there and on the deck plan on page 25. When I just go to Spirit on the website, the deck plan shows two hot tubs. However, the online brochure with the same pages as the printed one (link above) shows 3 as well.

Is any one else wondering why SS only went with one pool.

The only reason l ask is because they certainly had the space for 2 if they had planned differently.

The Seabourn Odyssey has 3 l think if l remember correctly and it is a similar sized ship.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but 2 pool area's would have been nice even if the 2nd was smaller. Especially considering the Spirit is a much bigger ship than the Shadow and Whisper. A nice, quiet, small private pool space away from the main area's would have been a great addition.

I am also surprised that they chose to go with only one vanity in the suite bathrooms (excluding senior suites) considering they know how popular the 2 vanity bathrooms are on the Whisper and Shadow.

I really do like the built in pool bar/BBQ/bistro/pizza pit on the pool deck. But my real favorite in the new design would have to be the new Supper Club, as a night owl this whole idea intrigues me.

The bow on the Spirit looks awesome, l love the way it seems to curve back over itself at the rail line. The short and blunt nose frame with those beautiful curves makes her look extremely attractive from the side profile in Steves pic's. I can't wait to see how she looks front on.

The only real disappointment l have with the Spirit is Silversea charging for a 2nd dinning venue (Asian) I just don't see how this is necessary. This is just penny pinching at it's worst and something l did not think SS would do.

Sure, have one (connoisseur) for a special occasion etc, but now they are definitely challenging the concept of all inclusive by adding more pay as go stuff.

I just wonder whether SS will be successful in keeping up the service, intimacy and ambiance levels with the bigger ship. I hope so.

I do already notice a difference between Wind/Cloud and the Shadow/Whisper levels, which is probably why my choice is for the smaller sisters.

I suppose time will tell.

Fingers crossed!

DebbieH103: Interesting, the question becomes why would they need three hot tubs (not one dedicated for children which is now cancelled?!) Also, from the e-brochure's picture, the jogging track on the deck above the pool has been moved to the stern (around the chimney). The glass wall around the midship portion (right above the pool) of this deck has been extended to full height (instead of the usual half height of safety railings for the usual cruise ship jogging track), thereby "enclosing" it from the wind. Also, there are those sunbathing chairs all around on both sides (which makes it much wider than a jogging track). This shows a new design of a "two-storeyed pool area". Presumably, they will make use of both storeys when they hold those poolside barbeques for all passengers in one sitting, with a main floor and a mezzanine. Would Mr Tucker kindly tell us if this is the idea?

Jaffa: I guess that they have gone from two sinks to one in the regular suite bathrooms because they intend to use those new European style "basin sinks" which sit above the counter with "flare" and thus take up more space (making it impossible to put two in the limited space for regular suites).

As for the surcharge of the Japanese restaurant, they also mentioned caviar in that restaurant. Perhaps by charging a flat rate for that restaurant, they will provide free flowing caviar there, hopefully?!

The newbuild, being larger, is perhaps more suitable for long voyages and odysseys. Imagine spending a month or more continuously on one ship, people can get bored of eating similar food day in day out, and having more variety in restaurants may be helpful. Of course, it will be less intimate, and for short voyages, they may not have learnt to call you Mr Jaffa! It will be nice to read from those who actually cruise on this newbuild what it is really like and the atmosphere on it.

I am not happy about the charging for the Asian restaurant and feel it was unnecessary. Considering Regent went all out with the chop houses that have been a resounding success, it would have been nice to see SS do a signature specialty restaurant that was included and, in fact move to all free dining. This must be the most criticized feature of the product and just about my only complaint (besides the early boarding charge). I am intrigued by the supper club and hope it is successful and not just another room they end up trying a bunch of things in. The potential there is huge.

I too find the extra charge for the Asian restaurant untenable. Let's face it, SS is no longer all inclusive with two restaurants charging. I don't care if they include caviar, and btw, I have heard nothing about that, up till a year ago caviar was included everywhere. My prediction is depending on how much they charge the only way they'll get full houses in Seishin every night is to continue giving $1000 shipboard credits.

"He smiles knowingly"

It seems we are of like minds and kindred spirits there DebbieH103, Wripro.

But then again, most long term Silversea patrons, do tend to share the same ideals when it comes to the Silversea basic product principles and experience.

Recently l have been having the same conversations with quite a number of long time friends, born from my many years of SS experience's.

It never ceases to amaze me how regardless of differences in demographics, backgrounds ethnic orientations and locations, those that have had a long term relationship with Silversea, seem to hold the same basic belief and requirements of the product & the experience. And how little that has changed over the years.

I wonder whether SS really are listing.

Charges are not cast in stone. There is not even physical change, they can raise it, lower it or drop it altogether at any moment. So if dropping Japanese restaurant charges seems to be the common wish, I won't be surprised if they do so down the road.

P.S. Have you thought of the possibility that they use charges as a way of "capacity control". If too many passengers want to eat in this small restaurant, and there is no charge, they may have to ration how many times each person can get in. Then there will be other complaints!

Archived