Tipping On Holland America

Dodger Blue

Twinkletoes, I think you are incorrect. What I have surmised from all of the discussion is that all tipping goes into a pool...period. That is whether you leave the auto-tipping on or not.

No. She's got it. If you remove or reduce the service charge, then any and all cash tips must be turned in to the pool. If you leave the service charge intact, then any and all additional cash tips given belong to the recipient.

However, this is not to say that the stewards allowed to keep the additional tips don't have their own system for sharing. The "buddy system" was in place back when HAL operated under the "Tipping not required" policy.

Ruth, my earlier point still remains. There is no way anyone can tell if I'm tipping individuals (whether or not the auto-tipping remains) if there is no identification on the envelope. It is entirely up to the individual to turn it into the "pool". So, the issue of whether or not you auto-tip is moot. Pooling is the name of the game in all instances. That being the case, I'll need to re-evaluate the way I tip. I don't want to reward those that don't deserve it, but under the "pooling" program I have no choice in the matter. So, I'm inclined to leave the auto-tip in place so as not to penalize those that deserve it and simply "reward" excellent service by filling out comment cards.

Pooling tips and/or "tipping out" is common in those professions dependent upon tips, for income. Employees know this walking into the job. I like that HAL employees collectively decide how tips are allocated, which is far better than what happens at most land-based places. I also like that crew are continuously rotated so that all have an equal shot at impressing those passengers who are inclined to tip more, with service and attention.

Way back when, I worked as a waitress a couple of summers, so I know a little about tips, but I do know that times have changed and I wasn't sure exactly how things worked on HAL.

We didn't pool our tips at the place I worked, but I did tip out people that helped me (from my tips), so I guess that's the same idea. If the person I give "extra" to wants to tip out others, that's up to them. We always leave the auto-tip in place and tip those that do extras for us.

It is a good idea to rotate the crew around to different areas.

No. She's got it. If you remove or reduce the service charge, then any and all cash tips must be turned in to the pool. If you leave the service charge intact, then any and all additional cash tips given belong to the recipient.

However, this is not to say that the stewards allowed to keep the additional tips don't have their own system for sharing. The "buddy system" was in place back when HAL operated under the "Tipping not required" policy.

I thought I had it right, but then again, I tend to get a lot of things wrong. :)

Back when I was a waitress (in the stone age), we didn't pool tips, but I tipped people that helped me....people that cleaned the tables, etc. One time I even gave money to a kid that helped me clean the tables. I don't remember the details, but it was holiday of sorts, and we short staffed and the place was a zoo. A boy about 10 came over and helped me clean the tables. I think I gave him $10 (that was a lot of money back in the 70's) and he was thrilled.

And the stewards may very well have a system that they worked out where they share. Or they may not. It's up to them to do what they want with the extra, and as long as I leave the auto-tip in place, they can do this.

Thanks. :)

Originally Posted by RuthC

"No. She's got it. If you remove or reduce the service charge, then any and all cash tips must be turned in to the pool. If you leave the service charge intact, then any and all additional cash tips given belong to the recipient."

I'm still confused. First off, how can this possibly be enforced? Secondly, I'm getting mixed messages. Earlier posts indicated that ALL tips are pooled...period! Now you're saying this isn't the case. Please, somebody clarify this.

Ruth, my earlier point still remains. There is no way anyone can tell if I'm tipping individuals (whether or not the auto-tipping remains) if there is no identification on the envelope. It is entirely up to the individual to turn it into the "pool". So, the issue of whether or not you auto-tip is moot. Pooling is the name of the game in all instances. That being the case, I'll need to re-evaluate the way I tip. I don't want to reward those that don't deserve it, but under the "pooling" program I have no choice in the matter. So, I'm inclined to leave the auto-tip in place so as not to penalize those that deserve it and simply "reward" excellent service by filling out comment cards.

If you hand someone extra cash, you're right, there's no way anyone will know this but you and the person you hand it to. However, from what I've read, these people value their job and there's no way they'd want to jeopardize it over keeping the cash (if the auto tip was taken off).

So for us, we'll keep the auto-tip in place, and tip extra in cash to the individual and they can do with it as they please...be it pool it with the other people, or tip out people that helped them, or keep it all themselves. It's up to them what they do with the extra tip. We also fill out the comment card.

But I'm not following you on the identification on the envelope part. If you have an envelope and leave it in your cabin for your steward, or hand the envelope directly to a person, I'm not following how this would be any different than handing them cash (without the envelope). Unless you turn the envelope in to the front desk and they distribute the money. If you hand the envelope directly to the person, what's to stop them from removing the cash and tossing the envelope? This would be the same as just handing them cash.

I personally like the auto-tip system. It makes it easy. I don't want to mess with envelopes, I want to only be handing out extra tips. It's a lot easier and less hassles IMO. In fact, I think $11 a day is a pretty small sum considering the service you get for that amount of money. And we've yet to encounter anyone that I didn't feel deserved a tip...in fact, on our last HAL cruise, everyone bent over backwards to make our cruise wonderful. It was quite something.

My point on the handing an envelope/cash to someone is that HAL cannot tell if tips are being made. It is up to the individual to obey the pooling policy.

My point on this entire issue is that, technically, it is not possible (because of the pooling policy) to directly reward, via cash, an individual you see worthy. By submitting any cash to the pool, you are rewarding everyone (which may be OK if you feel that way) but you are also rewarding those that may not deserve it.

My point on the handing an envelope/cash to someone is that HAL cannot tell if tips are being made. It is up to the individual to obey the pooling policy.

It is up to that person to admit they received cash. My guess, and that's all it is, is that these people value their jobs and don't want to risk losing them over this policy. Plus, if they receive a lot of cash, they have to deposit it somewhere, probably on the ship...so they can send it home. So HAL probably has a good idea of how much "extra" cash their employees receive. Or maybe not. The auto-tip is probably done by a paycheck.

My point on this entire issue is that, technically, it is not possible (because of the pooling policy) to directly reward, via cash, an individual you see worthy. By submitting any cash to the pool, you are rewarding everyone (which may be OK if you feel that way) but you are also rewarding those that may not deserve it.

As for rewarding everyone, even those that may not be deserving, you're right. However, if you don't leave the auto-tip in place, then you are punishing those that do their job and those that go above and beyond and you want to give them a little extra.

So of those two choices, I'll leave the auto-tip in place, tip extra to those I want, and know that some who slack off will get some of the auto-tip. I would not want the jobs these people have. They work long hours and hard for their money. They leave their families for a long time so they can make money (to send back home). If one is less than attentive, I really don't know what's going on...it could be they have something on their mind (they are long way from home), or it could be they are just slackers, but I think HAL will take care of the latter, if that's true.

If our upcoming cruise is anything like our last cruise, this won't be a problem for us. Everyone was so helpful and nice. We handed out a lot of "extra" to various employees.

But I do see what you're saying now. I didn't get it at first. It is set up to where those that may not be doing very good still get rewarded.

The 15% tip that is added to drink charges goes directly to the person serving the beverage.
When you sign for a drink the tip goes directly to the server.
On most (maybe all) HAL ships the beverage service charges are pooled with the entire bar staff, shipwide. The 15% included in on-line orders of wine/coffee/soda cards and other alcohol also goes into the pool. So your server gets a share of the 15%, but not all of it.

I'm getting mixed messages. Earlier posts indicated that ALL tips are pooled...period! Now you're saying this isn't the case. Please, somebody clarify this.

All service charges are pooled. All cash tips given directly, by people who have removed or reduced the service charge, are pooled.

All cash tips given by people who leave the service charge intact are the recipient's to do with as he wishes. That may, or may not, be a group decision to pool.

I'm sorry. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

"Enforcement" to some extent is peer pressure. The stewards all live in tight quarters. They know how much is normal to receive in extra tips, and they will get a handle on who is holding out verrrry quickly.

I agree with much of what you said but, forgive me, I don't think I've made my point. On the assumption that you leave the autotip in place, AND reward those that you feel did a better job, you are also rewarding those that didn't. I understand the autotip is for everyone. However, it is my understanding that even if you use autotip and you give something extra, the something extra also goes in the pool. In other words, every tip that anyone leaves, whether it be autotip or otherwise is pooled and shared evenly. Consequently the individuals who give better service are not rewarded any better than those that don't. If the mind set is that it doesn't matter because all get more if a few do better...then that's OK. It simply isn't OK with me and I'll have to figure out another way to reward good service.

Ruth,

What I'm saying is that if I hand an envelope, with cash, to the Matre d, how does he know if I've left the autotip in place or not? He doesn't necessarily know my name or my cabin number. So, how is anyone going to know if he gets to keep the cash or put it in the pool?

I have talked to several HM's and CD's over the years since the auto tips were put into place. What I am writing below is the truth.

We do not remove the auto tips!!

It is mentioned at the disembarkation talk that 70% of the auto tip is divided among your 2 cabin stewards and your 2 dinning room staff -- that is $7 of the $11 dollars. The other $4 (30%) is divided among the "behind the scenes crew" -- kitchen staff, laundry people, those who go around the ship sweeping, dusting, etc.

The bar staff do pool all the tips that are automatically placed on your bills. BUT -- if you have not removed the auto tips -- anything you give to them personally is their to keep.

If you do not remove the auto tips -- anything that you personally give to any individual -- cabin stewards -- dining room staff -- bar tenders -- wine stewards -- etc., -- it is theirs to keep!! They are allowed to keep all those extra tips -- those tips are not pooled.

Others have mentioned this throughout the thread.

Hope we are making it clearer to you.

Ruth,

What I'm saying is that if I hand an envelope, with cash, to the Matre d, how does he know if I've left the autotip in place or not? He doesn't necessarily know my name or my cabin number. So, how is anyone going to know if he gets to keep the cash or put it in the pool?

If you wish to remove part or all of the auto tip, you will be asked to sign a form -- and asked to given a reason.

Once this form is turned into the office -- a list is complied of those people -- cabin numbers as well -- and is given to the diningr room manager who then breaks it down into the for the various area captains. For the cabin stewards -- again -- it goes down through the chain.

I've never cruised on HAL, so I don't know what the policy is. On Princess, at least this is what was reported in a post on that community, they specifically received verification from Princess directly that ALL tips, autotip or otherwise, are pooled. If, in fact, on HAL individuals are allowed to keep the tips handed to them in addition to the autotip, that's great. I'm not convinced that is the case. This thread alone has had contradictory statements on that issue.

I would never change the autotip. It's only the additional tips I've given in the past that concern me. I want to make sure that the person I'm giving it to gets to keep it.

I know that I am not the only one who has gotten to know crew members and do keep in touch with them.

An example -- the area captains do keep track of who sits at what tables, etc.

Many of us here have given you accurate information.

I know that the extra tips we have given crew members -- they get to keep it!!

I hope you're right, but I guess I'm going to have to hear this from HAL. So what you are saying is that the Matre d will know the name and cabin number of everyone who hands him an envelope? I'm not sure I buy this. Even if he/she has that kind of memory, what happens to the envelope I hand the bartender or the waiter in the bar? This seems like it would be an extraordinary bookkeeping task for the cruise line. I'm more easily convinced that they pool all tips and dole them out accordingly or they simply allow individuals to keep the tips handed to them...autotip or not.

I wish HAL would officially clear this up for us. I, and I assume some others, prefer tipping people to tipping pools. It's not the grand presentation, I would rather leave the tips to be distributed to the recipients after I left the ship. But I would be considerably more generous if I could be confident that the money was going to those to whom I wanted it to go because they earned it. If HAL told me that I can't give it to those to whom I want to give it, it's their cruise line and I don't question their right to run it any way they want. But the uncertainty leaves me with feeling that I may be doing too much or too little.

However, it is my understanding that even if you use autotip and you give something extra, the something extra also goes in the pool. In other words, every tip that anyone leaves, whether it be autotip or otherwise is pooled and shared evenly.

That isn't how it's done.

If you leave the auto-tip in place, anything "extra" you give is theirs to do with as they please. They can keep it all, or they can share some of this money with their helper (if they have one), or they can put it in a pool (that's set up by them-not the ship pool), or they can donate it to charity...whatever they want to do with the money, it's theirs. All I am interested in is that the person I want to get the "extra" money, gets it. Beyond that, they can do what they want with it.

If you take off the auto-tip, then all cash given to the employees (that includes what the regular standard daily allotment would be, and anything extra) must be turned over to the ship pool (per HAL's requirements).

You're right in that the way it's set up the ones that perform poorly and may not deserve a tip, will receive one. However, I trust that HAL wouldn't tolerate slackers and from my discussions with employees, they all see THRILLED to have their job and work very hard.

If you take off the auto-tip in attempt to only reward the ones you think deserved it, the ones that you think deserved the extra tips are the ones you're hurting because they now have to turn over everything they receive from you (not you specifically, but the person who took off the auto-tip).

So in order for the ones that I want to get "extra" to get to keep this extra, I have to leave my auto-tip in place. And, yes, everyone who's part of this group, regardless of their performance, shares in this. But I'd rather do this than have the ones that I want to get the extra, not get it.

We leave the auto tip on and

Any additional tip we give the cabin steward and wait staff they can keep as long as they are cash?

When you sign for a drink the tip goes directly to the server.

So for truly excellent service.......leave the auto tip on & tip cash to those giving great service all during the cruise.

Also, as far as the PG goes, I know on RCL that the money you paid to go the the specialty restaurant was actually the tip for the staff. Guess it is different on CCL.

I wish HAL would officially clear this up for us. I, and I assume some others, prefer tipping people to tipping pools. It's not the grand presentation, I would rather leave the tips to be distributed to the recipients after I left the ship. But I would be considerably more generous if I could be confident that the money was going to those to whom I wanted it to go because they earned it. If HAL told me that I can't give it to those to whom I want to give it, it's their cruise line and I don't question their right to run it any way they want. But the uncertainty leaves me with feeling that I may be doing too much or too little.

I couldn't have said it any better.

That isn't how it's done.

If you leave the auto-tip in place, anything "extra" you give is theirs to do with as they please. They can keep it all, or they can share some of this money with their helper (if they have one), or they can put it in a pool (that's set up by them-not the ship pool), or they can donate it to charity...whatever they want to do with the money, it's theirs. All I am interested in is that the person I want to get the "extra" money, gets it. Beyond that, they can do what they want with it.

If you take off the auto-tip, then all cash given to the employees (that includes what the regular standard daily allotment would be, and anything extra) must be turned over to the ship pool (per HAL's requirements).

You're right in that the way it's set up the ones that perform poorly and may not deserve a tip, will receive one. However, I trust that HAL wouldn't tolerate slackers and from my discussions with employees, they all see THRILLED to have their job and work very hard.

If you take off the auto-tip in attempt to only reward the ones you think deserved it, the ones that you think deserved the extra tips are the ones you're hurting because they now have to turn over everything they receive from you (not you specifically, but the person who took off the auto-tip).

So in order for the ones that I want to get "extra" to get to keep this extra, I have to leave my auto-tip in place. And, yes, everyone who's part of this group, regardless of their performance, shares in this. But I'd rather do this than have the ones that I want to get the extra, not get it.

Again, I hope you are correct. I want to reward those that go the extra mile, not those that do the minimum. That's what I pay my fare for.

So what you are saying is that the Matre d will know the name and cabin number of everyone who hands him an envelope? I'm not sure I buy this. Even if he/she has that kind of memory, what happens to the envelope I hand the bartender or the waiter in the bar?

Whenever you order a drink in the bar the bar tender or server asks for your card and believe me they know your stateroom after only one time so if you do give them a tip at the end of the cruise, they will know which ones they can keep and which ones need to be turned in to the pool. I bet even the Maitre D knows who you are because why would you tip him or her unless they offered you some assistance?

Archived