A Carnival guy's first RCCL cruise: A pictorial review.

DarthGrady

I think you have the right idea Darth!!

We have friends that want to go a weekend next October and the Destiny fits the dates available she goes out Thurs and comes back Monday. Limited time off for the kids for school. Since we don't have kids and have always wanted to do a B2B it would be very affordable to do it on this cruise.

Was wondering what you know of the Destiny.

I really do like RCCL for the most part better but I can get 11 nights for the price of 7 here? :(

We have friends that want to go a weekend next October and the Destiny fits the dates available she goes out Thurs and comes back Monday. Limited time off for the kids for school. Since we don't have kids and have always wanted to do a B2B it would be very affordable to do it on this cruise.

I really do like RCCL for the most part better but I can get 11 nights for the price of 7 here? :(

We just did the Destiny in March 08. The ship is very large compared to MOS. The staff was very good. REALLY pushed the drinks by the pool. Food was great. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=2

This is peoples review of the Destiny - go down to March 08, I am belden1036, feel free to read my review.

My daughter and I leave Monday on the Monarch, mother and daughter outing. We were on her once before in 1998, so I am very excited to see how she has aged over the years. Back then I thought RCCL was the best line when it came to service and food. Carnival ranked right up there this past time, I'm looking forward to seeing if RCCL still has it going. I'll let you all know in a week when we return.

Loved the review and pictures - I pulled out my album from 98 to compare some of the pix, changes indeed, but still very excited to be back and away from Minnesota for the week. Fun and sun is better than snow and ice.

Debarkation:

Leaving the ship is never a pleasurable activity, but it always happens nonetheless. Debarking went very smoothly, and we were off the ship in about thirty minutes after getting in line. No problems whatsoever.

Summary:

I had a great cruise, and was very happy with my first RCCL experience. It was refreshing to try something new and different, although there were many similarities. I would not hesitate to take one in the future if they continue to price competitively with Carnival. Although I did sometimes miss the more festive atmosphere that Carnival exudes, RC certainly provides its fair share of fun. I saw just as many happy people relaxing, dancing, drinking and making merry as I normally do on Carnival.

I would like to try one of the larger ships next time, eventually sampling all the classes just like I’m slowly (but surely!) doing with Carnival. Now that I’ve ventured out, at some later time I want to try NCL as well. I hear that Freestyle can be a love/hate relationship, so we’ll just have to see. I hope this has been helpful and informative, please feel free to ask and questions.

thank you for the well done review. We too were happy Carnival Cruisers and tried our first cruise with RCCI last May. Like you we felt the food is a tad better on Carnival and the beds more comfortable with larger cabins.

However, we found service far outshines Carnival and the returning guest perks are much better on RCCI.

Thanks again for the review.

I have not been on her. From what I know, expect a similar look that you found on the Inspiration and Fascination since all were built around the same time. Of course the Destiny is a bigger class than those two. She does not have a supper club, but she does have the oriental and deli stations in the buffet area.

Now that she is doing 4/5 night cruises I am more apt to go on her since we usually do shorter sailings.

• 2 years later...
Hey thanks for all the positive comments and feedback! I really enjoyed putting this one together since it was an all new experience for me. :)

I noticed you were on Monarch of the Seas twice, the last time being in 2010. How was it this time around? Thinking about doing a cruise on this ship. I did my first cruise on this ship in 2003 before there refirb. which was done later that year. I in 2007 did carnival on I believe Sensation, it was a small ship also and before taxes & fees the cruise was $99.00 which was a great deal.

thank you...:confused:

I noticed you were on Monarch of the Seas twice, the last time being in 2010. How was it this time around? Thinking about doing a cruise on this ship. I did my first cruise on this ship in 2003 before there refirb. which was done later that year. I in 2007 did carnival on I believe Sensation, it was a small ship also and before taxes & fees the cruise was $99.00 which was a great deal.

thank you...:confused:

The Monarch is a very nice ship, both cruises were very enjoyable. She has been very well maintained, and her crew is friendly. The Carnival Sensation and the Monarch are almost identical in size. Both being around 70,000 gross tons.

I think the main differences you will notice are the renovated dance club, now Boleros. The Windjammer buffet has been redone, and the Jade restaurant was added upstairs in the buffet. Both dining rooms were redecorated and look very modern. You really cant go wrong with a cruise on her, especially with some of the deals they run.

Archived