A Carnival guy's first RCCL cruise: A pictorial review.

DarthGrady

Usually I would post this in the ports of call but I think it works okay here. One of the goals for my cruise to the Bahamas is finding a good place to snorkel. Are there lots of colorful fish/coral at CocoCay that you can get fairly close to?

Usually I would post this in the ports of call but I think it works okay here. One of the goals for my cruise to the Bahamas is finding a good place to snorkel. Are there lots of colorful fish/coral at CocoCay that you can get fairly close to?

I didn't do any snorkeling there, but my TA who has been there and snorkeled several times said it is very nice. They apparently have a sunken boat and plane around there somewhere that attracts fish. I don't know about coral reefs, but just wading in and around the beach we saw lots of fish. Notable among them would be a couple of spiny blowfish, a school of small needlefish, and one stingray.

Thanks for your help. Honestly, since I've never seen a stingray "in the wild" one of those would make my trip (along with the beautiful beach and water)!

It was really cool, we were just walking down the beach and my friend's wife happened to see him laying on the bottom in some short weeds. You could just barely make out his eyes and "head" area. After a minute or so he just took off, gliding out of sight.

What a great review! We have a cruise booked for March on the Monarch and are really looking forward to it. Never been to Coco Cay, but it sounds perfect. Totally understand what you said about a place with no hassles, no aggressive vendors, etc., etc.

Thanks so much for the great review. DH really appreciated the review and photos. This was his first ever cruise and all your info was a big help.

We just returned home from our 3 nighter on Monarch and we had a wonderful time. I would have trouble on her for a longer cruise - but 3 days is just right.

The entire staff goes out of their way to ensure you have a wonderful vacation. DH loved Coco Cay and is looking forward to another cruise. :D

Great review!

Just out of curiosity:

I saw the picture of the band when boarding. I have seen and heard about Royal Caribbean downgrades to 2 or 3 person bands, in addition to fewer hours compared to the past and compared to those reggae bands of other lines.

First, how was the band. Second, how were their hours? Did they play by the pool? If so, did they play more than 2 or 3 hours a day?

I am trying to figure out if this "problem" or "change" is fleet wide by RCCL and maybe a cutback, or if the band hours and quality varies by ship. If so, we may have to stick with Carnival and Princess.

Thanks.

Great review!

Just out of curiosity:

I saw the picture of the band when boarding. I have seen and heard about Royal Caribbean downgrades to 2 or 3 person bands, in addition to fewer hours compared to the past and compared to those reggae bands of other lines.

First, how was the band. Second, how were their hours? Did they play by the pool? If so, did they play more than 2 or 3 hours a day?

I am trying to figure out if this "problem" or "change" is fleet wide by RCCL and maybe a cutback, or if the band hours and quality varies by ship. If so, we may have to stick with Carnival and Princess.

Thanks.

They were playing in the lobby for a few hours during embarkation. They were pretty good, as was the classical trio they had playing on formal night. I don't know how long the classical trio was out since we went into dinner before they left. We were never by the pool during the day since we were off the ship, so I cant help there.

DarthGrady You have spoiled me. No other review will measure up to this one. You have done an amazing review and all the photos, WOW!! I love it. How can any other review be jsut as good. :confused: You covered everything and I truly loved seeing all those snapshot. GREAT JOB!!

The smaller ships are great for 3/4 night cruises - after that I get a little antsy. Probably more me than the ship.

You are not alone, we need more options for a longer cruise. The Monarch is a smaller/older ship without a Chops, Portofino, JR/cafe, sports bar, movie theater, ice rink, etc. :)

###

DarthGrady You have spoiled me. No other review will measure up to this one. You have done an amazing review and all the photos, WOW!! I love it. How can any other review be jsut as good. :confused: You covered everything and I truly loved seeing all those snapshot. GREAT JOB!!

Thank you! It was my pleasure!:)

Grady great review. We loved her sister ship the soveriegn and love Coco Cay. we just went to Labadee this past Sept and thought that was as peaceful of a day.

There are a couple of things that are really little that I like about RCCl rather than Carnival. I like RCCL sail away party with the cruise staff they get everyone involved also I like the way RCCL did the midnight buffet/deck party. It was nicer how it was spread out over the deck and not in the same buffet line.

You should try the voyager class ships the Mariner is one of our favorite ships.

My husband and son along with friends are sailing on the Monarch leaving the 12th of January. It is there first boys cruise, I have been on a couple of girls cruises and I have been trying to be a good sport about being left at home with the dog ): but after your review and the great pictures my being a good sport is dwindling fast! I might have to disown the son and I really don't want to start over after 26 yrs so I'm not sure what to do with the hubby????

I do hope they have a great time but yes I'm jealous and will stay home with the dog having my own pity party!!! I might have to book one while he is gone?!

I might have to book one while he is gone?!

There you go! Book a good one real quick like. Then as soon as they walk in the door after their cruise: Hand them the dog, grab your bags and hit the road yelling "I'll be on a cruise, see ya next week" as you speed out of the driveway.:D

The smaller ships are great for 3/4 night cruises - after that I get a little antsy. Probably more me than the ship.

That's what I thought! I felt the same way last year on the Majesty. Hopefully not so next week on the Monarch!:D

Coco Cay was wonderful, simply the best port of call I have been to. The weather was clear and in the low 80s all day. They served a good (complimentary!) BBQ buffet lunch, and we relaxed on the beach before walking up and down it. The water was crystal clear and the hammocks were a really nice touch. Coco Cay was in every way what I want out of every port of call. No pushy junk hawking natives, no taxis, no crowds, no problems. There are some out there who complain that places like this are due to the “Disney-fication” of travel destinations. Luckily for me I don’t care about what those people think. Coco Cay is now my absolute favorite cruise stop, hands down, case closed. We are going to Half Moon Cay next September on Carnival Fascination; I hope it is just as spectacular.

232323232%7Ffp43368%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C2426%3A%3A46nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43352%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C24262%3B2%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43368%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C24266747nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4324%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C24266974nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43246%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C242667%3B9nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43364%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C24266998nu0mrj

Very good review! I really liked the pictures too. That was a good comparison review! I second that about Half Moon Cay. It is even more spectacular than Coco Cay. And lots to do too. The swimming is the best!!! I had a cruise booked just to go there but after seeing the Oasis...well I just had to try it so I canceled the other one.

Nice job. That straw market in Nassau is a horrible place. I liked the picture of the guys sitting on the concrete dividers waiting. That was me for 2 hours! :eek:

Yes, there were many lonely husbands, brothers and sons sitting on that wall. Just waiting to see how many $3 Coach bags their wives, sisters and moms could actually carry.

I too am becomimg very upset by lack of ice cream on Royal Caribbean ships. It seems since they have brought in Ben & Jerrys they have really cut back on free ice cream especially soft serve. At least on Carnival there is plenty of free ice cream even up until late at night! More and more nickel and diming ( try charging for the things people really enjoy) that really sucks!:mad::mad::mad:

They are VERY liberal with ice cream at dinner. Just ask.:D

Archived