Lots of Costa Maya pictures - Dec 23, 2008

nolaAlive

thanks so much.

How long do you think it took to walk the entire walkway? Was your snorkel tour through the ship? If so are you glad that you did it that way or should you have picked up one when you got there? We will be there early next year and were just wondering what would be best. Any other helpful info would be appreciated.

I didn't time the walk, but not too long and it depends on how much you stop. Maybe 30 minutes, but could be done quicker.

Tour was through the ship. I've done both ship tours and local. It depends on what you are looking for. Some of the boats are a little scary, but really ok.

Yhe one from Trquila Beach was pretty good as an independent tour.

Great pictures, NolaAlive. Looks like you were the only ship in port, and you had some motion in the ocean with swells. Was it stormy during your cruise? Loved seeing NCL menus, the food looks interesting, watermelon salad and that fruit/cheese plate looked yummy!

Ms B

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. Did you eat in Mahahual and if so where and would you recommend it?

The pictures of ChaChi were devastating. I didn't really see where they were coming back though.

There were countless tons of crap they had to clear just to get it to the condition you see.

If people show up and spend a few dollars now and then, they will come back faster.

That I saw trash in a trash can or two tells me that people are usinig it + I saw several lounge chairs under a tarp, so when they are open, they perhaps pull those out.

Even before Hurricane Dean, Chac-Chi would sometimes be open and sometimes not.

Some time ago, the owner had told me that the best way I and others could help would be to return for a visit. I will continue returning and hopefully be able to document the snorkeling next time. There are a couple of coves north of Chac-Chi that I have always wanted to try.

Great pictures, NolaAlive. Looks like you were the only ship in port, and you had some motion in the ocean with swells. Was it stormy during your cruise? Loved seeing NCL menus, the food looks interesting, watermelon salad and that fruit/cheese plate looked yummy!

Ms B

We were the only ship - they really could use more ships and certainly have the capacity for it.

It was bouncy from New Orleans to Costa Maya then relatively peaceful. After we leave Cozumel tomorrow evening it could get interesting again, but I haven't checked the forecast.

includes snorkeling, walking the entire walkway, Chac-Chi (what is left - but they are slowly returning - they didn't get a "bailout" package.)

I loved your excursion through the hole in the fence and down the dirt walkway. You made us feel like a explorers crawling through the gap and discovering a hidden garden.

Now, I'm a bit new and have never visited this area. Are all of those cars lined up to see what is on the other side the hole in the fence?

I loved your excursion through the hole in the fence and down the dirt walkway. You made us feel like a explorers crawling through the gap and discovering a hidden garden.

Now, I'm a bit new and have never visited this area. Are all of those cars lined up to see what is on the other side the hole in the fence?

I think they are the port employees cars.

Great pictures! We were there on the Spirit the week before you, but didn't go to Marahual. We took David and Ivan's wonderful tour to the ruins. I definitely want to go back to Costa Maya and "play in the water" next time. Your pictures are very convincing.

Nita :cool:

How was the snorkling? I'm trying to deside if I want to take that trip or do each Break and Highlights of Costa Maya trip.Last time ther we did Uvero Beach and snorkling, nice snorkle, but ned to ride chincy, expensive little speed boats to get there and the beach was rather rocky. Nice pictures.

How was the snorkling? I'm trying to deside if I want to take that trip or do each Break and Highlights of Costa Maya trip.Last time ther we did Uvero Beach and snorkling, nice snorkle, but ned to ride chincy, expensive little speed boats to get there and the beach was rather rocky. Nice pictures.

Snorkeling was better than I was expecting. Not sure what is at Uvero at the moment, but pretty sure I took a bus there last time.

Thanks for sharing your pictures...very nice!!! Your underwater pictures are fantastic...what type of camera or lens did you use? We are going to Costa Maya next December on Liberty of the Seas - Royal Caribbean. I am very excited to see this port. It looks beautiful even if it is a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is:

Do you have to do one of these packages? Can you not just take a taxi to A BEACH and just go on the beach for free. I dont drink and I am traveling with a little one so these $25 packages aren't really what we need.

If you go to the boardwalk couldn't you simply walk onto the beach or are they completely blocked off?

I was hoping to rent a golf cart and just sight see and then simply pull up at the beach and hang out for a little while.

Thanks.

We were there once before the most recent hurricane. The beaches are definitely open and you can go onto them. The sand is nice but the water isn't particularly good for swimming - a lot of seaweed. We grabbed a cab outside the port and went to the farthest end with our 3 sons. Set up at Pez Quadro, where they had a bar with swing chairs. No charge. They put out beach chairs for us (no charge but we tipped the guy) and we just hung out there, ordered some drinks, food, etc. There was a roped off area there with calm, shallow water for wading/swimming which was pretty good. Took turns walking down the boardwalk area to make some purchases.

I am a little confused when I hear people talking about prepaying to go to Pez Quadro now, unless something has changed. There are definitely beach clubs that you pay to enter but you certainly don't have to.

My question is:

Do you have to do one of these packages? Can you not just take a taxi to A BEACH and just go on the beach for free. I dont drink and I am traveling with a little one so these $25 packages aren't really what we need.

If you go to the boardwalk couldn't you simply walk onto the beach or are they completely blocked off?

I was hoping to rent a golf cart and just sight see and then simply pull up at the beach and hang out for a little while.

Thanks.

You don't have to do any package. The beaches are free.

You can walk onto the beach anywhere.

Beach chairs, umbrellas, etc., are not public property - if you plop down somewhere, you should expect them to want you to buy something.

You cannot drive the golf carts up and down the pedestrian walkway or on the beach (legally). One block over is fair game.

Honestly, it is cheaper and faster to take taxis everywhere, or even walk, than to rent a golf cart - unless the golf cart is your shore excursion.

You can walk up to Pez Quadro, no package required.

Not sure about seaweed, you might see turtle grass. There's a reason it is called turtle grass.

IMG_0749.JPG

• 1 year later...

thank you so much for your wonderful photos! :) I looked at the same time at your other Island picture. We are going in a Western cruise on the Spirit in January. I just now to decide at which ports are we going to snorkel.

Archived