Sihanoukville

cruising kirby

Yes, you are right - fingers typed too fast. E-visas are available through the Cambodian Embassy web site in the US. You also correct as to no entry in Sville (but exiting Cambodia there is perfectly fine w/ an E-visa).

What if Sihanoukville is your only stop in Cambodia - ie your entry & exit on day trip only - do you still need a visa?

What if Sihanoukville is your only stop in Cambodia - ie your entry & exit on day trip only - do you still need a visa?

Yes-arranged on board. Think of it as a visitor's tax. They certainly need the foreign exchange.Also remember what the US would charge a Cambodian coming to the US and all the hoops he or she would have to jump through.

• 2 months later...

Hi, my husband and I were there last year, we just got the shuttle into town, from there we walked up the street to the market, not much lighting, but terrific gear at a great price. We then got a tuk tuk and drove around to the Beaches and then back to town and called into the Orange shop and bought our liquor, it was the cheapest we have ever seen.

Hi, my husband and I were there last year, we just got the shuttle into town, from there we walked up the street to the market, not much lighting, but terrific gear at a great price. We then got a tuk tuk and drove around to the Beaches and then back to town and called into the Orange shop and bought our liquor, it was the cheapest we have ever seen.

Hi fellow-Perthite. I have to ask, what is the Orange shop? We're sailing on Holland America and they allow passengers to bring their own soft drink, wine and bubbly on board in unlimited quantities. Our cruise begins in Singapore, and of course wine is a lot more expensive there than we pay here so we're not planning on taking much on board with us but of picking up a couple of bottles in each port as we go. Like your positive review - so refreshing after so much negativity. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated.

Hope you're surviving this heat - phew, four days over 40 to come. Singers will be a relief after this. :)

Hi fellow-Perthite. I have to ask, what is the Orange shop? We're sailing on Holland America and they allow passengers to bring their own soft drink, wine and bubbly on board in unlimited quantities. Our cruise begins in Singapore, and of course wine is a lot more expensive there than we pay here so we're not planning on taking much on board with us but of picking up a couple of bottles in each port as we go. Like your positive review - so refreshing after so much negativity. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated.

Hope you're surviving this heat - phew, four days over 40 to come. Singers will be a relief after this. :)

Have you sailed Holland America Before...I am not aware that they allow unlimited amounts of alcohol to be brought on? Or is that just another one rule for USA and another for Australia thing?

Sue

I am sailing on Holland America too, next week. I am under the impression that guests can bring their own wine/beer on board at embarkation only, not once sailing is underway/at ports of call.

I'm not sure soda is included in that, but I could be wrong.

Have you sailed Holland America Before...I am not aware that they allow unlimited amounts of alcohol to be brought on? Or is that just another one rule for USA and another for Australia thing?

Sue

Hi Sue. I haven't sailed with any line before - this is our first cruise - but if you check on the numerousn threads regarding taking alcohol on board ships, plus the official CC thread covering which companies allow you to take your own drinks on board, and also HAL's own website, you will see that you can indeed take unlimited soft drink, water, wine and champagne on board with you. You cannot take spirits, which is fair enough, and which are cheap enough to purchase by the bottle on board anyway. We will certainly take some wine and champagne on board with us in Singapore, but only a couple of each, to sip on our balcony. I think there are a couple of cruise companies that allow the same, while others - I think Celebrity are just starting for instance - allow one bottle of wine per person on embarkation.

With HAL, however, if you take your own bottle of wine to the dining room or any of the restaurants, there is a "corkage" fee, which I think is about $18, so you need to take that into consideration. Reading the HAL chat threads, I believe some people really take it to extremes and actually board with cases of vino. I guess if you were doing something like a 30 day cruise, however, and you wanted to enjoy a bottle a day then you would indeed be taking quite a bit of wine onboard with you. Being about to take your mixers as well is great as I believe they can be quite pricey on board, and I'm anticipating our final onboard bill will cause our credit card to gasp with shock anyway.

Cheers .. Bev

I am sailing on Holland America too, next week. I am under the impression that guests can bring their own wine/beer on board at embarkation only, not once sailing is underway/at ports of call.

I'm not sure soda is included in that, but I could be wrong.

Hello friend from Roll Call. It's worth checking out the HAL general board because there is lots of discussion about this very subject. One of the regulars on there is actually a security guard (think that's what they call them) onboard HAL vessels, so he is an excellent source of information, plus there are people there who have sailed numerous times with the line.

I actually think that the prices for spirits which you can arrange to have placed in your room are extremely reasonable, particularly as the bottles are apparently 1 litre and not just 750ml, and so we'll probably order a bottle of gin to be put in our room but plan on bringing our own tonic on board with us in Singapore. Can't beat a G&T in the tropics - or here for that matter, where we are having a heat wave with four days topping the 40 degree mark. Phew, that's hot.

Cheers .. Bev

Hi Bev,

You might want to recheck that information. You are quite right it is (not the unlimited bit) that the US website says you are allowed to bring on wine and beer...however in Australia in my experience, most lines if they allow it at all limit the amount of wine to a bottle each. Since HAL is part of the Carnival cruise lines I would be surprised if their alcohol policy is so radically different from the sister lines, P & 0, Princess and Carnival..but would be happy to be wrong.

Sue

Hello friend from Roll Call. It's worth checking out the HAL general board because there is lots of discussion about this very subject. One of the regulars on there is actually a security guard (think that's what they call them) onboard HAL vessels, so he is an excellent source of information, plus there are people there who have sailed numerous times with the line.

I actually think that the prices for spirits which you can arrange to have placed in your room are extremely reasonable, particularly as the bottles are apparently 1 litre and not just 750ml, and so we'll probably order a bottle of gin to be put in our room but plan on bringing our own tonic on board with us in Singapore. Can't beat a G&T in the tropics - or here for that matter, where we are having a heat wave with four days topping the 40 degree mark. Phew, that's hot.

Cheers .. Bev

Hi Bev!

Looking forward to meeting you at our meet and greet on the 8th!

I plan to bring my own bottles of wine on board - I live near the wonderful Napa Valley wine country here in California and I really hate having to pay such high prices on board for those familiar labels I enjoy so much, so I'll bubble wrap and pack a few in my luggage. When I want a martini or some such other liquor, I'll happily pay the drink fee at the bar!

We've got a private tour planned for Sihounkville - I think via the Don Bosco school. It should be very interesting.

Cheers!

sherita

Hi Bev,

You might want to recheck that information. You are quite right it is (not the unlimited bit) that the US website says you are allowed to bring on wine and beer...however in Australia in my experience, most lines if they allow it at all limit the amount of wine to a bottle each. Since HAL is part of the Carnival cruise lines I would be surprised if their alcohol policy is so radically different from the sister lines, P & 0, Princess and Carnival..but would be happy to be wrong.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Then please be happy to be wrong, and maybe think about who you will cruise with next time because HAL allow people to bring unlimited wine and bubbly on board whether you are boarding in the US or anywhere. It's something different about Holland America. I'm aware that they are part of Carnival, but the various Carnival brands do all have differences. At the moment some will allow you one bottle of wine per person on embarkation, some will allow you to bring spirits on board. HAL allow the wine and bubbly, which is wonderful - and it's unlimited quantities. It may be radically different to other lines within the group, but so too are other policies in other companies within the group, such as free drinks with meals or having an all you can drink package. I do suggest you check out their website, or even check with your TA, as you seem surprised. It's a nice surprise, and something which I think probably tips some people toward the smaller vessels and quieter style of cruising of HAL. Differences also extend, if you check, to smoking policies. Some allow smoking on balconies and in internal spaces, some don't. I believe that Celebrity don't allow smoking on balconies, whereas HAL does allow it. There are differences between the various lines, and it is those differences which assist people in selecting who to sail with.

Cheers ... :)

I have cruised with HAL (2 star Mariner) and certainly like their style...was not aware of the liberal alcohol policy (I barely drink) but certainly appreciate being treated like a responsible adult...will bare that in future, thanks.

p.s. While in Siahnoukville please don't give money directly to the children begging...donate it to the Temple or Father Roberto who runs the training school...why...the place is popular with pedophiles...you are placing the children in harms way but encouraging them to take money from strangers.:mad:

Sue

Hi Bev!

Looking forward to meeting you at our meet and greet on the 8th!

I plan to bring my own bottles of wine on board - I live near the wonderful Napa Valley wine country here in California and I really hate having to pay such high prices on board for those familiar labels I enjoy so much, so I'll bubble wrap and pack a few in my luggage. When I want a martini or some such other liquor, I'll happily pay the drink fee at the bar!

We've got a private tour planned for Sihounkville - I think via the Don Bosco school. It should be very interesting.

Cheers!

sherita

Hi Sherita,

We won't be bringing any of our favourite drops from Australia but will pick up a couple of bottles of wine and a couple of champagne in Singapore. Singapore is generally very expensive with wine, so if you can bring some with you that's great.

Can't believe how close we are now. We got our room allocation email today, which makes it all so real.

Look forward to catching up at the M&G.

Cheers .. Bev :)

I have cruised with HAL (2 star Mariner) and certainly like their style...was not aware of the liberal alcohol policy (I barely drink) but certainly appreciate being treated like a responsible adult...will bare that in future, thanks.

p.s. While in Siahnoukville please don't give money directly to the children begging...donate it to the Temple or Father Roberto who runs the training school...why...the place is popular with pedophiles...you are placing the children in harms way but encouraging them to take money from strangers.:mad:

Sue

Hi Sue.

Thanks for that tip. I had heard that sadly it is becoming a real favourite for paedophiles, and also that there is rather a large drug problem, with hypodermics spotted floating in the water at the favourite beach, which is pretty worrying. As somebody here said, it's a case of trying to remember how recent the country was plunged into the tragedy of the terrible bombing during the Vietnam War and them the horrors of Pol Pot. So sad as everybody I meet who has been to Cambodia speaks so highly of the people. I guess that at least the income from the tour ships helps the economy in some small, or perhaps not so small, way.

Cheers .. :)

Archived