NZ $ in Australia?

Coadysmom

I was wondering if you could purchase NZ currency in Australia. Typically I would expect the answer to be no, but thought I'd ask. We'd like to have some NZ dollars before we get to New Zealand.

Of course you can. You will be able to change at most banks. It is just like getting Canadian dollars in the USA. Why would you expect it not to be the case?

Of course you can. You will be able to change at most banks. It is just like getting Canadian dollars in the USA. Why would you expect it not to be the case?

Most banks in the US don't have any foreign currency to exchange. I live in a very small town and our bank just laughed when we said we needed foreign currency.

In the cities such as Sydney and Melbourne you will also find Currency Exchange Bureaus everywhere.

just about every single bank in Oz (ok, maybe not every one) would have some NZ currency and they would usually have a better rate than the currency exchange places

pete

For interest, I tried to do similar at a suburb close to the centre of Sydney with CBA (largest Australian bank). That branch had none and called around to 4 of their surrounding branches and only one had some which was only NZD160. Their only suggestion was to contact head office at Martin Place which stocks it... so it's probably not dissimilar to what coadysmum described. Fine if you're right in the CBD, but not so good elsewhere.

In the centre of any city, such as Sydney , you'll find numerous currency exchange places. There are more of them than KFC, Starbucks, McDonalds combined or so it seems when I'm looking for a Starbucks! At the airports there will usually be a couple. Some will be in banks and some will be run by operators such as Travelex. All will have a rate board outside to entice you in. Usually, for cash you'll do better at those run by the major banks - CBA, National, Westpac, ANZ. All will be able to exchange American for New Zealand Dollars. Because changing US to NZ will involve a middle currency (Australian dollars) its best to ask what you'll get, particularly if you are using a non-bank one. Fees can sometimes appear. Bank exchange places will be within a few cents of each other but non-bank ones may have some poor rates. Spend 15 minutes shopping around.

Turtlemichael you must be the only Australian I've come across who likes Starbucks.

Back on topic - you can get NZ dollars at the currency exchange booths all over the place in the major cities. But I think it easiest to go to an ATM.

Archived