Atlantis via Comfort Inn

vacamom

I know this question has been asked several times, but I can't believe the info I am finding. We are cruising on the Wonder on Feb. 1. We are looking for something to do while in the Bahamas. One idea was to go to Atlantis by renting a room at the Comfort Inn. I checked the CI website and it seems it would cost over $300 for the room and the wristbands. This is still cheaper than Disney's Aquadventure for 4. Does this seem right? Is it worth it? How do we get from the dock to the Atlantis? I also worry about weather in February. If anyone has any input that would be great. This is our first Disney cruise and we don't want to miss out on anything.

Rates at CI can vary due to seasons. Check out Atlantis rates. We have been to Atlantis 4 times, 3 for the day while being on cruises. Once Atlantis was cheaper and we went that route. Is it worth it? We have always felt it was. If the weather is bad, which it was once, you just spend more time at the Dig, which is under cover.

From the dock, yo have two choices, water taxi or land taxi. We have always taken land taxi. I have read too many safety concerns about the water taxi. There will be many taxi drivers when you get off the ship hawking "Take you to Atlantis". Be sure to get a per person fare when you get board. We have paid $4 pp, but some have said $5. This is one way. There are always at the Royal and Coral Towers to take you backto the ship, as well as at CI if you return there to shower before going back.

Thank you for the reply Suezy. I will also check the prices at the Atlantis, you are not the only one who recommended that. Seems like no problem to get taxis. I just had fears of being stuck at Atlantis and missing the ship. DId I mention this is our first cruise?:)

I think she was worried about getting a taxi back to the ship... This is also no problem, no worries. There are bellhops at the entrance of the hotel that hail cabs for all waiting to return either to town or the ship.

EDIT: oops just read your post again, Suzy, you did say both ways didnt you?

We are also taking our first cruise in Feb., too! We are excited as well. We are going the Feb 15th sailing on the wonder.:)

I booked a room at CI for $250. I have been checking off and on for a lower price, but so far nothing. Don't forget about the taxes and fees on the room charges because these add up quickly. I've heard that it is also quite expensive to eat lunch.

Glad to know that there are taxis everywhere.

Have fun.

I don't think it is worth the money.

We went the last week of Sept. and only paid $160 for 4 people at the Comfort Suites. That included all the taxes and housekeeping fees. The buildings at the Atlantis are fun to see, with beautiful architecture and mosaics, but the "dig" wasn't great. I guess I am spoiled because we regularly go to the aquarium in Baltimore and Chattanooga, so a few fish here and there weren't too exciting. The water at two of the beaches was too rough and dropped off too quickly. My 11 and 12 year old had trouble swimming there. They used the pool for awhile, but it was just a standard pool. It was huge, but just a pool. They went on a few of the slides, but there is a lot of walking, the property is huge. I am glad we went to see the buildings, but I would never pay to go there again. Also, there was nothing open near the beach or pool as it was "off" season, so we didn't eat all day. We had taken a cooler along with water, but it would have been a hunt to find some food. We ate a huge breakfast on-board, so we weren't too hungry. The taxi was $16 dollars each way, so we just gave him $20 each time. Pick-up was easy, they had taxis lined up outside one of the entrances to one of the hotels.

My hubby and I did the British Colonial Hilton in June, and that was a nice day, I would do that again if we went to Nassau.

We are also taking our first cruise in Feb., too! We are excited as well. We are going the Feb 15th sailing on the wonder.:)

I booked a room at CI for $250. I have been checking off and on for a lower price, but so far nothing. Don't forget about the taxes and fees on the room charges because these add up quickly. I've heard that it is also quite expensive to eat lunch.

Glad to know that there are taxis everywhere.

Have fun.

Whoops! I meant Comfort Suites. Thanks!

Rates at CI can vary due to seasons. Check out Atlantis rates. We have been to Atlantis 4 times, 3 for the day while being on cruises. Once Atlantis was cheaper and we went that route. Is it worth it? We have always felt it was. If the weather is bad, which it was once, you just spend more time at the Dig, which is under cover.

From the dock, yo have two choices, water taxi or land taxi. We have always taken land taxi. I have read too many safety concerns about the water taxi. There will be many taxi drivers when you get off the ship hawking "Take you to Atlantis". Be sure to get a per person fare when you get board. We have paid $4 pp, but some have said $5. This is one way. There are always at the Royal and Coral Towers to take you backto the ship, as well as at CI if you return there to shower before going back.

Small highjacking... I'm booked for the May 16 Magic cruise also and will know within the next few weeks if we can go for sure! (DH just got a new job today, so we'll have to see how the vacation time works.) It should be a great cruise!

I don't think it is worth the money.

We went the last week of Sept. and only paid $160 for 4 people at the Comfort Suites. That included all the taxes and housekeeping fees. The buildings at the Atlantis are fun to see, with beautiful architecture and mosaics, but the "dig" wasn't great. I guess I am spoiled because we regularly go to the aquarium in Baltimore and Chattanooga, so a few fish here and there weren't too exciting. The water at two of the beaches was too rough and dropped off too quickly. My 11 and 12 year old had trouble swimming there. They used the pool for awhile, but it was just a standard pool. It was huge, but just a pool. They went on a few of the slides, but there is a lot of walking, the property is huge. I am glad we went to see the buildings, but I would never pay to go there again. Also, there was nothing open near the beach or pool as it was "off" season, so we didn't eat all day. We had taken a cooler along with water, but it would have been a hunt to find some food. We ate a huge breakfast on-board, so we weren't too hungry. The taxi was $16 dollars each way, so we just gave him $20 each time. Pick-up was easy, they had taxis lined up outside one of the entrances to one of the hotels.

My hubby and I did the British Colonial Hilton in June, and that was a nice day, I would do that again if we went to Nassau.

Are you sure you went to Atlantis.....I have been there at least a dozen times and that sounds like no Atlantis I ever went to. The pool area is HUGE....maybe you didn't go over to were the new area is....The Power Tower....they have some of the best slides, wave pools and lazy river ride I have ever seen....and I live in Fl by all the parks. The Cove Beach by the Reef and Cove is the best...very calm, easy entry, all sand and ALWAYS a bar and food stand open.

Gee, Maybe I am not sure if I went to "THE ATLANTIS":rolleyes:

I did say the pool area was huge, but it is just a pool, for that amount of money, kids are happy in any pool.

Yes, the slides were nice, and had unique details with regards to architecture, but not too much different than other water parks.

Yes, we went to the Cove Beach and maybe it was at low tide or after a storm, or whatever, but if you walked about 4 feet out into the water, it dropped off to about 5 feet deep and was rough waves. We also went to the Atlantis beach and the same thing there but the water was actually rougher, and there were vendors trying to sell you drinks, hair braiding, etc. We were at the Atlantis' beach not a public beach, even sat in an Atlantis chair, so I don't want to be asked every ten seconds to buy something on a "private beach."

One of the large pools in the middle near the Atlantis beach was completely fenced in and they were jackhammering and replacing the concrete, so that area was a construction zone. Lots of noise and dust.

There was a drink stand open near one of the slides, but there were no food stands open anywhere, not even near the beach...either beach.

Again, we went in the last week of September, and I read in another forum they have closed many of the buildings and restaurants because of their low capacity.

I am glad you enjoy going there but IN MY OPINION it isn't worth the money, and it only worked out to be $40 a person which is the cost of a water park day anywhere else. I am not even including the extra $40 for taxi, because you might pay that if you went somewhere else.

The original poster asked what people thought, and this is what I thought, especially since they were preparing to pay over twice the amount we paid. There were too many negatives about the day. It wasn't the enjoyable "magical" day we had hope for, but then again, maybe I was at the wrong Atlantis

PA mom,

I too was surpised by your post and that you were not happy with your trip. But sure, of course you have just as much "right" to post your opinion, unhappy with your day, as thoes of us who thought the day trip was great..... Thank goodness we all do not have the same opinions or this message board would be pretty boring!

We are also on the Feb 1st Wonder, and have done our homework regarding Atlantis. On the Trip Advisor forum, there is a lot of info about the financial troubles that Atlantis (and other resorts) are having. Apparantly, many of the attractions are shut down, and entire wings are shuttered. They also had a lay-off in November of over 800 people. The food venues, when you can find one open, costs like $30.00 for a kids burger and a drink. We are not willing to pay $300.00 + another $100.00 for lunch for closed attractions.:mad:

Our kids want to swim with dolphins, and I found a great alternative. It's called http://www.dolphinencounters.com/, I think the prices are reasonable, considering you're in the Bahamas. Atlantis was so overpriced for so long, it's coming back to bite them, in my opinion!:eek:

Hope you have a great cruise!

check and see if the Wyndham has reopened their pool area and go there. It's in cable Beach.

We went in September and it was great. They have a $40.00pp charge that includes use of their facilities as well as the Sheraton next door and a food and drink voucher for $25.00. ( double check this as I am a little fuzzy on this)

Bill

Archived