TSA 3-1-1 Rule?

HappyStamper

I haven't flown since this rule went into effect and even after reading everything I can find I still have a couple of questions:

Do foil packets of moistened towlettes need to go into the quart bag? I'm thinking of individually packaged wet wipes or nail polish remover pads.

What about solid antipersirant? I'm thinking a clear "speedstick" type might be considered a gel but I'm not sure about the solid white kind like Dove or Degree.

I'm want to go carry-on only so I'm trying to figure out how to bring the things I need and still have them fit in the quart bag.

I haven't flown since this rule went into effect and even after reading everything I can find I still have a couple of questions:

Do foil packets of moistened towlettes need to go into the quart bag? I'm thinking of individually packaged wet wipes or nail polish remover pads.

What about solid antipersirant? I'm thinking a clear "speedstick" type might be considered a gel but I'm not sure about the solid white kind like Dove or Degree.

I'm want to go carry-on only so I'm trying to figure out how to bring the things I need and still have them fit in the quart bag.

I put my roll-on deodorant in the quart bag just to be on the safe side; sorry can't help with the liquids in foil pouches.

Kathy

Just throw it all in there (or don't)-last week I forget to take out the baggie. It sailed right through TSA at two airports-LGA and MCI.

To be on the safe side, put it all in there if it fits. TSA can sort out the mess they have made of traveling. Just don't put your makeup in your carry on and not in the baggie. Most of it WILL get confiscated.

Here's my scenario for the last few times I have flown:

I'm by myself. I arrive at security, lift the 21" carry-on up on the belt, remove my laptop from the case, then remove it from its protective sleeve, remove my coat and shoes, secure my neck wallet inside my laptop case (I have been told on several occasions that it is my "third" item, and therefore, I must consolidate in order to only have two carry-ons), put my boarding pass and passport between my teeth (yuck!), so as not to accidentally place them on the conveyor belt and through the security machine. Is it any wonder that on several occasions, I have forgotten to remove my 3-1-1 bag from my suitcase? The baggie is packed appropriately; it is just still inside my suitcase! Nothing has been said on these rare occasions and I'm always flustered that I have forgotten to declare this.

Traveling has become such a debacle! To answer your question, I think the antipersperant is okay to not put in the bag. I'm not sure about the towelettes. If you have room, stick them in.

You do not need to place towelettes or solid deodorant in the quart bag, and I never have. A gel I would put in the bag. If you are trying to save space, go to the travel sized item aisle at Target and you can get a little solid deodorant stick there. They also have very small sized items like this at Whole Foods, if you have one near you.

Just throw it all in there (or don't)-last week I forget to take out the baggie. It sailed right through TSA at two airports-LGA and MCI.

To be on the safe side, put it all in there if it fits. TSA can sort out the mess they have made of traveling. Just don't put your makeup in your carry on and not in the baggie. Most of it WILL get confiscated.

I use BE mineral powder makeup so I think only the mascara and lipstick will need to go in the baggie.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I have travel sizes of most of my favorite products (which I refill from the full size bottles) and as I posted above I use Bare Escentuals makeup so I think I'll be fine to slip in the towelettes and still have room. I'll make hubby carry the toothpaste, shampoo, etc. while I carry the makeup and misc. stuff.

I use BE mineral powder makeup so I think only the mascara and lipstick will need to go in the baggie.

I know this isn't the forum for a makeup discussion, but I sure would like to know how you put the stuff on without looking like a pasty, gunky mess. I have dipped, tapped, and buffed so many times and the stuff still looks caked on. Guess there must be a trick to it, but I sure can't get the hang of it. So back to the stuff that goes in the baggie.

I know this isn't the forum for a makeup discussion, but I sure would like to know how you put the stuff on without looking like a pasty, gunky mess. I have dipped, tapped, and buffed so many times and the stuff still looks caked on. Guess there must be a trick to it, but I sure can't get the hang of it. So back to the stuff that goes in the baggie.

I am no expert but maybe it is the brand or shade??? I dunno, but i got some maybelline or covergirl stuff just to try and it really works.....i just turn the container over (with the lid on) so some gets in the cap..then i swirl the brush (sort of) in the cap, shake it off and put it on my face, i don't know...maybe in a circular (ish) fashion....i really don't pay much attention...but (knock on wood) i haven't had it look like gunk.

(sometimes i just run the brush over the part with the little holes too...)

you have lots of free time.:rolleyes:..make one of those loves in the mall that sells the stuff give you some lessons!!!:D just kidding!

have a great trip...you're going (or are already there) to some fun exotic place right???

I am no expert but maybe it is the brand or shade??? I dunno, but i got some maybelline or covergirl stuff just to try and it really works.....i just turn the container over (with the lid on) so some gets in the cap..then i swirl the brush (sort of) in the cap, shake it off and put it on my face, i don't know...maybe in a circular (ish) fashion....i really don't pay much attention...but (knock on wood) i haven't had it look like gunk.

(sometimes i just run the brush over the part with the little holes too...)

you have lots of free time.:rolleyes:..make one of those loves in the mall that sells the stuff give you some lessons!!!:D just kidding!

have a great trip...you're going (or are already there) to some fun exotic place right???

Like I got time to go to malls and get makeup done. Can't even squeeze in a hair appointment.

Haven't left yet-just about three hours from now. 6-8 weeks this time-Vietnam/Cambodia (will stop in Thailand but not for business-only a couple of nights) and most likely a dip into the Middle East-Kuwait and Iraq to firm up my contracts (depends on how well my guys do over there). Hope they stop shooting over there soon (Israel/Gaza)

For fun-we are going to Sydney via Hong Kong for New Year's Eve. Non stop flying for the next thirty or so hours.

Have a happy New Year. I'm going to go drink champagne!!!

Greatam,

This is just a guess.....if you really are shaking the brush out enough (although I don't shake all that much off), then it may be your technique. Make circular sweeps of your face in sections. Apply a thin layer; & take a look. If you want more coverage, make circles again. Just don't try to go over & over & over the same spot too long. It will cake that way. Happy travels!

Archived