authentic pr food

Bigrigg

can anyone recommend a place thats good for some authentic puerto rican fare? I don't care if its cheap or fancy I am staying the condado area and will probably be either there or OSJ around dinner time. I don't want the tourist stuff I want the authentic stuff

usually try and eat local food when I visit. I also believe in good prices (Around $10 per entree) the following places fit the bill and TASTE GREAT

La Bombonera is Very good. I call it a Puerto Rican Style Diner. It is located on Calle San Francisco 259 between San Justo and La Tanca closer to San Justo.

While the place would remind you of a Dive Resteraunt (instead of bar) with someone's grandma in the kitchen. El Buen Samaritano Located on Calle Luna 225 between San Justo and La Tanca closer to San Justo.

My ABSOLUTE favorite place is in Candado, Cafe Del Angel. You take the B21 bus to the fisrt stop on Magdalana Ave (Right when it turns off Ashford and passes Charlies Car Rental. and walk back over to Ashford the address is 1106 Ashford Ave. The bus is about a 20-30 min ride and leaves from the bus station in OSJ. The bus back is right across the street on Ashford Ave.

All are reviewed on Frommers.com if you want to read indepth details.

Also it looks like you are going on 3 kings day so wherever you choose call ahead.

If possible, could somebody describe "authentic" PR food? Is it spicy, and if so, what is the predominate spice. I have had some Jamaican food and have to say it didn't agree so well with me...just wondered.

PR food is not spicy at all. It is seasoned, simple food. I think one of the predominate spices is garlic. They also use a lot of salt. But it is usually a mixture of a lot of things, including sweet peppers, olives, tomato.

Some stuff is stewed (yummy), lots of root vegetables or plantains (green or sweet). A lot of pork, chicken, not much beef. But you will find churasco steak (skirt steak) that is marinated nicely.

Most people like PR food very much.

Archived