Where is Bea Mueller

David21

We disembarked QM2 yesterday in NYC after a "boisterous" crossing! The aforementioned Mrs. Meuller was present during this final leg of the World Cruise. She rammed me with her walker three times during the Cream Tea in the Queen's Room, as she attempted to leave the room. I was finally able to move my chair and escape her wrath. As she passed by, I heard her growling " this ship is a godawful mess, I won't be back". From the pained looks on faces of the three attending and scurrying staff members with her, they'll be relieved. She did not apologize for her rudeness. I was amused after the initial shock passed. I won't be buying her book. :eek:

Louise,

Thanks for your reply. I am particularly interested as I am crossing at the same time next year (& am concerned about it). Were many people sick? Did the ship move much?

Carol.

3pm 16 April...40 miles south of Titanic...heading 087 ...seas calm...partly sunny...air temp 50 degrees F

Capt Bates predicted 'Boistrous" seas for first night...never happened. Rainy but mild sailaway.

One passenger removed by pilot boat at Verrazzano for medical emergency...delayed in harbor for about an hour.

Cheers!

Louise,

Thanks for your reply. I am particularly interested as I am crossing at the same time next year (& am concerned about it).

Try not to be concerned at all. The ship was wonderful. We went up to the Commodore's Club (9th) after dinner on the second last night and found it to be a little rocky for our tastes but the motion elsewhere wasn't a big deal. Crossing weather can be unpredictable, but this liner makes pretty short shrift of it. I did substitute lower heels for the last formal night just as a precaution. Four inch heels do lose their appeal as the waves get larger:p. As you can see by the next posters comments, the QM2 is enjoying a calmer return to Southampton.

Here's my experience with the infamous Bea Mueller.

I had heard of this living legend for quite some time before being on the last westbound transatlantic of the QE2 in October 2008. I had actually been on the ship once before but Bea was not on that earlier sailing.

Well, I was in the Computer Learning Centre - on that particular crossing - doing my usual round of emails and internet surfing when I noticed the older woman sitting beside me put her World Club card down on the desk. I just about gagged when I found out that this woman was..........yes Bea Mueller!:cool:

My excitement of seeing the living legend turned a bit sour though when she started making comments - mostly to herself but loud enough for those around her to hear - about how poor the system is that day and how everything around her on the ship was not to her satisfaction. The woman on the other side of her (who had NO idea who Bea was) attempted to provide some assistance on the computer but Bea was just in one of those moods where I decided I'd be better off not offering to help but quietly disappear.:(

I can't say she was outright rude and ignorant but I can see that from time to time she definitely can feel like she is owed something because she lives on the ship and people run to her hand and foot so she is used to that world of everything being catered to her. I think she deserves some sort of recognition for her life onboard but at the same time I thought I rather not really be around her too much.

I wish her the best of luck whatever she does next but I can't say I would go out of my way to be friendly with her. I felt she could snap at you in a second without warning. I am sure she is not pure evil but at the same time she's not someone I'll run around the ship to find and talk to.

David

I had a couple nice chats with Bea last week. She can be quite nice in a social situation and she remembered me from the Captain's Table, which I'm sure gave me bonus points in her estimation. She was badly injured on Victoria, breaking her hand when a fire door closed on her. This meant that she missed joining the World Cruise on QM2 and was unable to catch up until Dubai. When I spoke to her at the beginning of the Crossing, she refered to Victoria as a tin can she would never sail on again, but was quite optimistic about the QM2, especially as many QE2 officers and crew were now onboard. When I spoke to her again in Todd English on disembarkation day (yes, there was a diamond lounge for a change), she said she was not happy with QM2 and was exploring her options. I'm not sure what happened during the week, but she was ready to return to land.

Her book is just about finished; I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Julia

"I am sure she is not pure evil but at the same time she's not someone I'll run around the ship to find and talk to."

:D:Dtoo funny. When I am as old as Mrs. M., I truly hope nobody describes me in such a way!!

Apparently, like her (do some), avoid her (do others) fear her, DO ALL!

• 1 year later...
Hi, we are just back from the QV . Its not a case of spotting her , its trying not to hear her being rude and complaining all the time to the staff!! For sure I dont think she enjoyed the QV!!

LOL...so true. She was a fixture in the old QE2 days. But who wants to hear about that when there are so many new adventures to be part of.

I think it best to say something nice about someone like Bea Muller (the correct spelling) or say nothing at this stage, particularly if you have never gotten to know her over a period of time. She is a character, no doubt, but she is not someone who complained "all the time" to staff or to fellow passengers. No one loved a peaceful drink near the piano in the Crystal Lounge on the QE2 more than she! (Looking at these boards, it seems lots of people do nothing but complain and offer extraneous opinions, unsoliticited.) She is enjoying her life and getting on with it.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

I think it best to say something nice about someone like Bea Muller (the correct spelling) or say nothing at this stage, particularly if you have never gotten to know her over a period of time. She is a character, no doubt, but she is not someone who complained "all the time" to staff or to fellow passengers. No one loved a peaceful drink near the piano in the Crystal Lounge on the QE2 more than she! (Looking at these boards, it seems lots of people do nothing but complain and offer extraneous opinions, unsoliticited.) She is enjoying her life and getting on with it.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Bea is getting old and cranky. But I, too, want to cut her some slack. After all, her home of many years (8-9, maybe more) was sold and sent off to Dubai. That would make me cranky, too.

She was on QV until today with her Son !

Happy New Year

Nice to see you on the boards, Gavin. I've missed dinners aboard QE2 with you and Roy. Please give him my best when you see him. I will be coming across the pond in QM2 this July with my wife, Perhaps if you and your father are in town we can meet for dinner. Take care.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Lovely and well put. My fond memories of seeing her on the QE2 was nothing but awe. Any person who would be blessed to be able to live on my favorite ship held a certain panache for me. I was young and could only afford the inside cabins on my salary. Could not fathom having the pleasure of spending time at sea with the wonderful crew on that special ship. May Bea have many more years at sea.....if she is using a walker daily perhaps pain or frustration make life a little less convenient at sea.

Lovely and well put. My fond memories of seeing her on the QE2 was nothing but awe. Any person who would be blessed to be able to live on my favorite ship held a certain panache for me. I was young and could only afford the inside cabins on my salary. Could not fathom having the pleasure of spending time at sea with the wonderful crew on that special ship. May Bea have many more years at sea.....if she is using a walker daily perhaps pain or frustration make life a little less convenient at sea.

A friend saw Bea on QM2 this last fall. She reports that Bea is unsteady on her feet these days, and can't really travel on her own. Bea was on the ship with her son, and hoping to find someone to share with for a later cruise, when Alan couldn't go with her.

On QE2, Bea was somewhat of a celebrity. The crew knew her and were nice to her, even when she got a bit imperious. But on the newer ships, she doesn't have the comfort level of it being "home," where she is instantly recognized and treated like someone special. Her life has changed since QE2 was sold, and at her age, change is often unwelcome.

It's frustrating to get old and not be able to do the things you used to. My aunt is 94, and generally has a good attitude about her limitations. But she has days when everything is wrong. And, hey, at 94, she's entitled.

I saw Mrs. Mueller on the QM2 in late October for the 7-day Canada/NE voyage. I had never met her before and introduced myself saying we had a mutual friend. She was very friendly toward me and we spoke several more times. Whenever we met Mrs. Mueller was using a walker or her son was pushing her in a wheelchair.

At the World Club party Commodore Warner honoured her with a bouquet of flowers and the table I was sharing had never heard of her. I suspect many on the ship didn't have a clue who she was. Because of Cruise Critic I knew her story.

Linda

A friend saw Bea on QM2 this last fall. She reports that Bea is unsteady on her feet these days, and can't really travel on her own. Bea was on the ship with her son, and hoping to find someone to share with for a later cruise, when Alan couldn't go with her.

On QE2, Bea was somewhat of a celebrity. The crew knew her and were nice to her, even when she got a bit imperious. But on the newer ships, she doesn't have the comfort level of it being "home," where she is instantly recognized and treated like someone special. Her life has changed since QE2 was sold, and at her age, change is often unwelcome.

It's frustrating to get old and not be able to do the things you used to. My aunt is 94, and generally has a good attitude about her limitations. But she has days when everything is wrong. And, hey, at 94, she's entitled.

I agree with you 100% plus Bea .when I spoke to her she was very nice person, we had heard all kinds of stories about her, maybe from people who never really met her she was on the QM2 back in October and looked amazing, her son too was very pleasent

Despite having heard the usual mix of she's a pleasant older lady, she's ok but slightly tempermental, through to she's an absolute monster via past threads on here I met the lady on 2 occasions and saw her in passing on a few more. She was civil to my wife and I when we asked her about her life, she was never curt or sharp with staff or passengers in our hearing, and seemed to be at home. Home is where you can be yourself and drop the pretence and be real and by golly she was real!!

Whilst I would not want to draw full conclusions based on a few intermittent occasions of contact with her, in view of her years and health I would find it to be extra-ordinary if she didn't have off-days where passengers and staff did find her to be quite challenging, and rightly so as if you lived with me you would find me to also be a person of many moods and outbursts !!!

It seems that we just can't help ourselves to want to find a reason to criticise an elderly, frail, but inwardly lively older lady who paid her fare and wanted to have good value and a fantastic cruise every day. Cunard had their work cut out and occasionally let her down. I've seen worse behaviour by older people on Cunard than a few ill tempered words, and seen some astonishing snobbery by some long time cruisers aimed at my wife and myself on a cruise last year. This lady was at least civil to me and despite her being 'American' (joking !!) I will look forward to her continuing to cruise when and how she can and continuing to live up to the reputation that has been created for her.

We are slowly losing those people who were true characters and replacing them with wishy washy identikit celebrities based on insipid TV shows and fly on the wall programmes. Mrs Mueller is a true cunard character and like her or loathe her we should celebrate her as a genuine person.

Long live Bea Mueller and may she intimidate and upset us for many more years to come.

I agree with you 100% plus Bea .when I spoke to her she was very nice person, we had heard all kinds of stories about her, maybe from people who never really met her she was on the QM2 back in October and looked amazing, her son too was very pleasent

We have also met up with Bea again on various voyages and she is deep down a very nice lady, and also very interesting if one takes the time to really converse with her.

Her heart of course still belongs to the QE2 and understandably so.

I can only wish the lady well.

Best

Judy

I had a waiter on one trip who would beg to differ with some of my favourite waiters that I am a nice person. We all have our off-days, I suspect this waiter was having one although that didn't excuse the service he gave or rather didn't give.

Linda

Archived