Best tequila in mexico...

radzer0

Well, first off, if you're looking for the worm, you're shopping for Mezcal, not tequila. Unfortunately that's the best information I can give you... determining a quality product I can't help you with. In my personal opinion, I would never buy Mezcal if I was looking for a 'good' drink - any I've ever had has been really harsh, and more about 'the worm' than the product. (note I haven't had any for over 20 years) On the other hand, you might be able to get a crazy good deal on Patron, which, while not having a worm in it, is certainly an exceptionally smooth tequila. :)

I know you are saying you want the worm:eek::eek::eek:, but if you want a very nice Tequila, I recommend Corralejo Reposado in the tall blue bottle. It's a great one.

What is the usual price of that one?

Do they really keep track of that 1 bottle per person thing ive read about? I have heard some people say 1 bottle per port.

I have never ever had a problem buying port or on the ship and coming off with many bottles through customs and I am honest on my custom sheet on how many liters I have. That doesn't mean you won't, it's random.

Never had any with the worm....and really don't want to but best Tequila I've ever had was Cava Antigua while in Cozumel. We took a buggy and snorkel tour and stopped by a tequila factory where they grow the agave. We got to test all kinds of tequila and flavored tequilas......and the Almond Tequila is 2DIE4!!!! I could sip on that all day....actually I have sipped on that all day before. It is smoooooooth

Ali McG

Get Cabo Wabo. Rumour has it that Sammy Hager actually spit in it ;).

Seriously, we got 6 of the agave blue small bottles that were small enough to carry on in the liter bag. Very good stuff straight up but a little pricey compared to what a full bottle would cost.

Do they really keep track of that 1 bottle per person thing ive read about? I have heard some people say 1 bottle per port.

On the customs form, it says 1 liter per person (over 21) - for the entire cruise, not per port. Between me and my husband we had 2.25 liters. He was all worried about that extra little .25 Liter, so he went to the customs agent to pay his little tax, and the guy comes out to the small crowd and says "If you have 3 Liters per person or under, you're fine - go back to your cabin".

Then my husband was bummed out cause we could have bought more tequila! :p

We bought Mezcal and don't really like it either - has like a burnt taste to it. I also got Revolucion tequila http://www.tequilarevolucion.com/ because they said you could not purchase it anywhere in the US (don't know how true that is). Also got the 1921 Tequila Cream - very nice, kind of like Bailey's. This is my favorite drink right now.

Heather

While we were in Puerto Vallarta we took a tequila factory tour (with tasting) and our guide imparted the following wisdom:

"The silver or blanco tequila is for drinking with friends. The reposado is for drinking with family. But the añejo is for drinking by yourself."

Reposado - aged a minimum of two months but less than one year in oak barrels

Añejo - aged from one to three years in oak barrels

Here's a pretty good quote about Mezcal...

"Fine mezcal, made naturally from 100% agave, is probably the purest, most traditional spirit available on planet earth. Mezcal smells like history. It tastes like wonder and superstition"

Lance Cutler, Tequila Lovers Guide to Mexico

Now, I'm thinkin' that Mr. Cutler wrote that after knocking back a shot w/the worm. ;)

We always look for 100% agave and usually if it says "gold" it's been colored with carmel coloring, which isn't a mark of quality.

If we are doing shots, we go for a higher quality, but if mixing margaritas for a crowd or a frozen batch, we go alot cheaper.

And as others have said, no worms in tequila : ) ~~~~~

Get Cabo Wabo. Rumour has it that Sammy Hager actually spit in it ;).

Seriously, we got 6 of the agave blue small bottles that were small enough to carry on in the liter bag. Very good stuff straight up but a little pricey compared to what a full bottle would cost.

I would go for Cabo Wabo too...It is my favorite Tequila..I used to drink just Patron..but Cabo is really good too!!!!

Officially, it is 1 liter per person 21 or older. But this is the limit for "no duty / tax". You can bring in more to the U.S. if you are a U.S. citizen (within reason), but you will have to pay the flat rate duty of 3% declared value plus IRS taxes. Probably about $2-$3 per liter --- so it could still be a good deal for some special liquor.

Sometimes, the state where you debark also has some liquor laws / taxes, and the customs agents will enforce that as well.

Archived