Seward to Vancouver-what to do in Anchorage & Seward

Smileeface

Hello! We are reserved on RCI for this June, one-way Seward to Vancouver. My husband and I have been in Vancouver before, but never in Alaska or a cruise like this. We are planning to arrive in Anchorage two nights before our cruise to give us a full day and a half before cruise time (9pm departure). We are 46 and 52, and our daughters will have just turned 13 and 17. I have just started planning this part; don't even have a hotel reservation yet. Hear alot about Denali, but don't know if we have the time--? Any suggestions on making the most of that time before the cruise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Smileeface :)

Denali would require a minimum of two nights. You might want to rent a car at visit the Matanuska-Susitna area about an hour north of Anchorage. You can go to the reindeer and muskox farms, visit an old gold mine at Hatcher Pass, and tour the Iditarod Museum in Wasilla. Makes for an easy day trip.

There are many things to see in Seward. The drive from Anchorage to Seward itself is very picturesque. Stay in Seward for a minimum of 2 nights and go to the Sealife Center the day you get there and look around the cute fishing village and maybe go to Exit Glacier. Then the next day take a Kenai Fjords Tour where you will see lots of wildlife including whales, sea lions, puffins, etc. Book at least the 6 hour trip so you go out into the bay far enough and make sure it includes one glacier. It is a wonderful trip; great boat that is warm inside but great viewing areas to stand outside if you wish. It was definitely a highlight for us.

Your girls would love the Sealife Center in Seward. I've seen a lot of kids in there. Lots of sea life that are pertinent to Alaska. You could go in the morning and then take a Kenai Fjords 6 hour trip about 11:30 (I think). You will have to check the times. That is extremely picturesque seeing whales, puffins, sealions and a glacier.

Then when you are ready to leave Seward drive back to Anchorage to return your car. If you drive to Anchorage be sure to stop along the way and take in the beautiful scenery in Moose Pass behind Trail Lake Lodge and then at Summit Lake. Summit Lake has a nice restaurant to stop and get lunch or whatever. Summit Lake is so beautiful even if you don't want to eat there stop for a few minutes and take in the scenery. There is a beautiful lake with a mountain behind it.

Then farther down the road on the left is the Wildlife Conservation Refuge where you can see all kinds of animals from Alaska up close or you can stop at Portage Glacier which comes up on the right and is right near the Wildlife refuge. Then you also might like to stop at the Westin Mt. Alyeska Resort and take the tram to the top of the mountain. Awesome view and watch the hang gliders take off over the valley. If you go to the wildlife conservation center brings some carrots to feed the moose through the fence. The price for the wildlife center is per car (about $20.00).

Hope these gave you some ideas of great things to see from Anchorage to Seward and back again. You can take the train to Seward to catch your cruise from Anchorage.

I have heard one of the best places to rent is from Avis downtown location. I checked the prices and it was much higher to rent the car from the airport. Take a taxi to your hotel and maybe get your car the next morning.

If you don't want to take 2 nights to go to Seward you can at least drive to the wildlife conservation center and go up the Mt. Alyeska tramway. Beautiful views from the top and neat to watch those hang gliders go off. Food is good up there also. The drive is also very scenic driving to Mt. Alyeska/Girdwood around Turnagain Arm. One of the most beautiful you will ever see. We saw a mama moose and her calf walking about near the water one time and everyone was stopping and taking pictures.

Have a great time! This is my two cents only.

Wow Sherry, thanks for all that information. You made it all sound so beautiful! I will definitely write down what you've suggested and try to plot it out; I might be able to add one more night's stay. Any suggestions on a decent clean hotel, not too expensive (3 star maybe?) to stay in both Anchorage and Seward?

Thanks also Chenega!

I completely agree with Sherry - with the small amount of time you have, spend it in Seward. She's mentioned all my favorite things in the area especially the Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, and the Wildlife Conservation Center. You're going to have a fabulous adventure! :)

We liked the Marriott's Residence Inn in Anchorage as it have a room with 2 separate bedrooms each with its own bath with a small kitchen and living room in the middle. Might be a little steep for a family though. That is up to your budget. We split it with my dad and his wife.

Otherwise, sorry I don't have any other suggestions from personal experience as to hotels in Anchorage. I have stayed with a friend who lives there 2 other times.

As for Seward, the only place we stayed was the Seward Windsong Lodge, Holiday Inn Express and the last time a B & B which unfortunately I misplaced the name of. However, there are a lot of nice b & b's in Seward. Just do some research under Seward B & B's. I believe one I looked at and was nice was called Kim's Forest B & B. The Holiday Inn was nice because it was right in the small boat harbor where all the tours go out of and if your room is on the water side you have a great view. And is close to walking to some restaurants. You can walk to the Sealife center but I wouldn't recommend it. Too far in my opinion from the Holiday Inn Express. Take the car.

If I knew how to put pictures on here as a link I would for you.

Thanks for your compliments. I appreciate it.

Forgot to mention, after you return your car in Anchorage you can make arrangements to take the Alaska railroad to Seward to catch your ship.

It is www.akrr.com

When you make up your mind as to your time frame make your reservations for the train cause it can fill up. Beautiful ride!

You can check out Anchorage at the Visitor's site at http://www.anchorage.net.

If you're here on a Saturday or Sunday, check out the Market http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/main.html

We have a great museum http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/ love the Alaska Gallery and of course their is the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/

Susan in Anchorage :)

I am planning two nights in Seward. I found hotels in town, plus there is a two hour tour and a 6 hour tour I want to do. type in seward and you will find info.

i love Vancouver too-due ot jet lag i will stay there too plus there is always more to see.

With only 2 days pre-cruise to spend in Alaska, I wouldn't waste time driving from Seward back to Anchorage to return a rental car. Either rent from Hertz in Anchorage for drop-off in Seward, or take the train from Anchorage to Seward and rent a car for a day or two once you arrive in Seward.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward in 2007, and it was very nice. It was over $200/night, but we used hotel points for a free stay. Hotels are also expensive in Anchorage, but we used hotel points there, too (Holiday Inn Express near the airport). We got a great deal at the Extended Stay Deluxe on Hotwire, and also got a fabulous deal at Homewood Suites due to a pricing error on their web site.

Archived