Princess - Alaskan cruisetour substitution question

can786

I will be on an Alaskan cruisetour on the Island Princess in June with a stop at Denali. The Natural History tour is included in the cruisetour. I have read that this tour doesn't go nearly far enough and the Tundra Wilderness tour is much better. Has anyone been able to substitute the Wilderness tour for the natural history tour and get credit from the NHT toward the Wilderness tour?

Thanks - that is the answer I was hoping for. I could understand them not crediting me if I simply chose not to do it and didn't book anything else, but I was hoping they would give me the credit for this if I booked something else.

I didn't book the TWT thru Princess - I booked it directly with ARA who has the contract with the park service. Don't have the link - just do a google search for Denali National Park - and you'll find it. They have an 800 number listed plus you can do the booking online too.

However, what cruisetour are you on, AND will your time allow you to get farther into Denali?? Some can not. But you are correct, the NHT is a complete waste of time and you are missing a signifiant highlight of Alaska touring.

Be advised that the Toklat SHUTTLE bus goes the SAME distance as the TWT at 1/3 the price. EASY to book directly on your own. But, my min. distance in is Eielson, mile 66. The NHT is only on the public road, to mile 16, missing all the scenery and wildlife.

I too am on a cruisetour in late Maythat states "Late morning Natural History Tour", apparently from 10am to 3pm, then the tour leaves by bus for the train depot at 3:14. After reading BQ's many posts here re the Natural History Tour, I too was wondering how to get out of it and to substitute something else. Would it be possible to substitute the Wilderness tour and still get back by 3 pm? Or could we take a shuttle a ways in? How would we go about substituting it? We did go through our friendly neighborhood TA for the cruise tour. Would she be able to substitute this for us or would we have to deal directly with Princess? Thanks for any info you can give me.

However, what cruisetour are you on, AND will your time allow you to get farther into Denali?? Some can not. But you are correct, the NHT is a complete waste of time and you are missing a signifiant highlight of Alaska touring.

Be advised that the Toklat SHUTTLE bus goes the SAME distance as the TWT at 1/3 the price. EASY to book directly on your own. But, my min. distance in is Eielson, mile 66. The NHT is only on the public road, to mile 16, missing all the scenery and wildlife.

Thanks for the info. We have two days in Denali and don't leave until the day after the NHT is scheduled, so I know that won't be a problem. Right now I am a little hesitant to book anything too far in advance because I will be travelling with my mother who is due to start chemotherapy this week. I would rather wait until closer to our cruise to see how she is feeling before I book anything extra. For all I know she may not be up to an 8 hour tour but I can certainly hope so.

Thanks for the info. We have two days in Denali and don't leave until the day after the NHT is scheduled, so I know that won't be a problem. Right now I am a little hesitant to book anything too far in advance because I will be travelling with my mother who is due to start chemotherapy this week. I would rather wait until closer to our cruise to see how she is feeling before I book anything extra. For all I know she may not be up to an 8 hour tour but I can certainly hope so.

The TWT is usually booked solid by the end of February or early March. You can book it now and cancel later ($8 fee) if you need to.

Would it be possible to substitute the Wilderness tour and still get back by 3 pm? Or could we take a shuttle a ways in? How would we go about substituting it?

If you can get on the TWT about 6 am you will be back in time for your train. Remember, daylight comes very, very early in Alaska. I suggest that you call immediately to check on this as the TWT is often booked solid by the end of February.

Find TWTand shuttle booking information here... http://www.reservedenali.com/

The shuttle is a nice option and less money.

I suggest that you call and make reservations directly, either for the TWT or shuttle. If you are successful, then tell your TA to ask Princess for a credit for your NHT.

I too am on a cruisetour in late Maythat states "Late morning Natural History Tour", apparently from 10am to 3pm, then the tour leaves by bus for the train depot at 3:14. After reading BQ's many posts here re the Natural History Tour, I too was wondering how to get out of it and to substitute something else. Would it be possible to substitute the Wilderness tour and still get back by 3 pm? Or could we take a shuttle a ways in? How would we go about substituting it? We did go through our friendly neighborhood TA for the cruise tour. Would she be able to substitute this for us or would we have to deal directly with Princess? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Book YOURSELF, on the Toklat Shuttle bus, however, you will need to verify HOW you are going to get to the Access Center??? Princess shuttle buses do not run early enough, but in the past people were able to arrange transportation. You can not count on "cabs" operating, one year they did have them, haven't seen or heard of them since?? You can walk there, over a mile?? Have your "friendly TA" only cancel your NHT and get you the refund. I highly doubt they know the workings of Denali Park, since they did not warn you about this poor choice of a cruisetour??

I would have your booking agent cancel this now. In the past Princess has always given refunds, but, other lines don't. I would suspect that Princess could change their policy any time they want?? IF you end up only wanting this short distance, the Savage River shuttle bus, does the SAME distance at the NHT for FREE. Save your money.

Thank you Thinfool and BQ. Right now I'm thinking I will try to book the TWT rather than take the shuttle as it does pick up at our hotel. You're right about the TA. I think I know more about this trip than she does. Apparently the NHT is now up to around $60. I'll be happy if I can even get a portion of it back.

Archived