Yet Another Passport thread!

rhcruzer

For some this isn't about getting a passport, it's almost become a game for them. Kind of a "you can't make me" thing. I think everyone traveling outside of the country via any mode of transportation should have a passport. You will never regret having one, but you may regret not having one.

I had to get one for work, very quickly. I had to pay for the passport but my company paid the expedition fee. Best money I have ever spent because on my first cruise, my first trip to Mexico and my upcoming cruise, I haven't had to worry about what I need. It's my passport - it's gold!

I had to get one for work, very quickly. I had to pay for the passport but my company paid the expedition fee. Best money I have ever spent because on my first cruise, my first trip to Mexico and my upcoming cruise, I haven't had to worry about what I need. It's my passport - it's gold!

The other big advantage of having a passport is for domestic travel. Ever had or known anyone whose pocket was picked or purse snatched on a domestic trip? Guess what...the're not flying home without a police report and alot of explaining.

While I have been fortunate, I take great comfort knowing I have another document I can use for travel in my hotel room.

I didn't mean to stir the pot with another passport thread. My situation is purely economical. 5 people getting a passport is a huge chunk. Also the fact about being told different things by different companies. I know I should bite the bullet & do it. I just want to hear it straight from the horses mouth, that I don't need it for my cruise this year. Then next year (only cruise once a year) & will save the money,not book a cruise, get passports for the family & then book a cruise for the following year. Maybe Obama will get the country back in shape economically & we can all live happily ever after.

I didn't mean to stir the pot with another passport thread. My situation is purely economical. 5 people getting a passport is a huge chunk. Also the fact about being told different things by different companies. I know I should bite the bullet & do it. I just want to hear it straight from the horses mouth, that I don't need it for my cruise this year. Then next year (only cruise once a year) & will save the money,not book a cruise, get passports for the family & then book a cruise for the following year. Maybe Obama will get the country back in shape economically & we can all live happily ever after.

Best bet, since Obama is coming in, is get the passport now, so if you need to leave the country quickly you can!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!!

And the reason I don't have a passport is 2 fold-

1) I never have been anywhere that I needed one

2) Why put out $100 for someone thing I don't need!

But now that I mentioned my above comment, I think I'll be at the passport office in the morning!

Why are people perfectly willing to drop $500 on alcohol and excursions and photos and clothes, etc for a cruise but not $100 for a passport which you can use for 10 years? Just wondering? I know, I know, logic just doesn't compute for some. I'm extremely logical and analytical and it only makes sense to have them. There are plenty of things in life that aren't required, but are smart.

Why are people perfectly willing to drop $500 on alcohol and excursions and photos and clothes, etc for a cruise but not $100 for a passport which you can use for 10 years? Just wondering? I know, I know, logic just doesn't compute for some. I'm extremely logical and analytical and it only makes sense to have them. There are plenty of things in life that aren't required, but are smart.

Because I NEED alchohol and I don't need a passport :D

Seriously though...I have a big family and the extra $700. I would have to spend is not worth it, until it is mandatory. I also don't purchase insurance...12 cruises and counting w/o a problem...doesn't mean there won't be, but there hasn't yet.

I'm willing to gamble...

Whats smart and logical about wasting a dime on alcohol, or excursions or photos? I don't need any of them either! LOL

In fact, we are not spending a dime on anything for this cruise other than the cruise itself!Also not buying any insurance!

Whats smart and logical about wasting a dime on alcohol, or excursions or photos? I don't need any of them either! LOL

In fact, we are not spending a dime on anything for this cruise other than the cruise itself!Also not buying any insurance!

Good luck. We've never been able to do that, even with obc. I like my foo foo drinks too.:p

In fact, we are not spending a dime on anything for this cruise other than the cruise itself!

I have a Deputy at my fire dept. (who makes well over 150K). He is the most frugal person I know. He came back from a cruise and had spent NOTHING on his sail and sign card....he is magic !!!:cool:

Good luck. We've never been able to do that, even with obc. I like my foo foo drinks too.:p

BND, where in Virginia?

Only money we are spending (by the way, the cruise was a service award from my wifes job) is flying from RIC to MIA!!

And the tips.

Did everyone miss this one the CBP site?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents

Seems to me pretty obvious why cruise lines would require passports.

Did everyone miss this one the CBP site?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents

Seems to me pretty obvious why cruise lines would require passports.

None of the of the countries in the Bahamas or Carribean require passports to enter their country via a cruiseship. Im pretty sure none of the mexican ports require a passport either.

BND, where in Virginia?

Only money we are spending (by the way, the cruise was a service award from my wifes job) is flying from RIC to MIA!!

And the tips.

Ashburn (Loudoun County).

I have a Deputy at my fire dept. (who makes well over 150K). He is the most frugal person I know. He came back from a cruise and had spent NOTHING on his sail and sign card....he is magic !!!:cool:

WOW! How on earth do you not spend anything on the sail & sign card. That's amazing. We were on a cruise & this other couple on the cruise, their sail & sign bill, I think was $4.00. That is the 1st 15 minutes on my cruise.

None of the of the countries in the Bahamas or Carribean require passports to enter their country via a cruiseship. Im pretty sure none of the mexican ports require a passport either.

They don't require them at the moment, but that too could change.

I have a Deputy at my fire dept. (who makes well over 150K). :cool:

I am shocked. My DH is a firefighter, plus an EMT, and makes no where close to 150K a year.

I am in awe. Either your area really respects their civil servants or the COL is just high. I hope the latter.

Oh BTW, get the PP.

They don't require them at the moment, but that too could change.

Well, anything could change. The WHTI countries fought to have these new rules to not go effect. If they dont want US citzens to HAVE to get a PP, I doubt they are in any hurry to change their own rules. But as you say, it could change:D.

I am shocked. My DH is a firefighter, plus an EMT, and makes no where close to 150K a year.

I am in awe. Either your area really respects their civil servants or the COL is just high. I hope the latter.

Oh BTW, get the PP.

Boston Fire starts around 70K a year plus unbelievable health and other benefits.

A Deputy Chief can make a ton of dough, way into 6 digits and retire at around 80% pay at 55 yo. ;).......tax free, for life!

BTW...the area does not like civil servants and the cost of living is high, but so are the wages.

Well, anything could change. The WHTI countries fought to have these new rules to not go effect. If they dont want US citzens to HAVE to get a PP, I doubt they are in any hurry to change their own rules. But as you say, it could change:D.

I love my passport. It allows me to travel the world. Those of you that dont' have them, do you only plan on cruising, forever?

I love my passport. It allows me to travel the world. Those of you that dont' have them, do you only plan on cruising, forever?

Hell, I dont even plan on cruising forever. I really didnt like my first cruise, but the wife and kids did. I surely dont plan on flying outta the US or US territories. I saw Europe when I was in the Military, I dont need to go back.

Boston Fire starts around 70K a year plus unbelievable health and other benefits.

A Deputy Chief can make a ton of dough, way into 6 digits and retire at around 80% pay at 55 yo. ;).......tax free, for life!

BTW...the area does not like civil servants and the cost of living is high, but so are the wages.

I know it is not part of the thread, but during the aftermath of Katrina, several FF from the NE came down and helped. THANKS!!!

Archived