Roll Call Seabourn Spirit 15-11-2009 Lisbon-Ft. Lauderdale

Seabourn-nail

Got word from our TA yesterday that they are on their way....so I can't high-step yet, but hope to be by tomorrow!

Been several days since I last looked in here -- Howard, were you on the FLL-Lisboa Pride crossing in March 2007? That was our Seabourn introduction and I thought I remembered that Punta del Garda was a "Seabourn experience." Your 'clothes-horse' remark gave me a good chuckle....

DHReam - Your honeymoon plans indeed sound like an exceptional once-in-a-lifetime experience! We would be 'up' for a little independent venturing on Madeira with any others of like mind....

Counting the days...................

Sorry, ltsally, we were on the 07 Legend crossing to Lisbon. That was a great cruise cycle for us as upon arrival and after 2 days of sightseeing in Lisboa, we flew to Nice to pick up the last leg of Regents world cruise from Monte Carlo to Ft. Lauderdale. The total trip was 31 days and we only had to flu the Lisbon Nice portion. Unfortunately because of my clothes horse status, the overweight charges in Liosbon were astronomical because we were flying el cheapo airlines and they charged for eveerything including seat assignments and a pre-charge for "Just in Case", as in the air bags drop down accidentally. But since they were the only airline on that route, say(sic) la vie. Anyway, it was a great trip.

As far as the "Seabourn Experience", we will have to make our own "Experiences"!

What? Only 1 month to go? Wow!

Howard

For Marja and anyone else who cares,

I had booked our hotel in Lisbon several months ago and have been checking since to see if prices have come down enough to warrant changing hotels. My only requirement is that it be a 5 star hotel and not too terribly far from downtown Lisbon. We picked the "Avenida Palace Hotel" for not only its location, but its overall ambiance. I would not hesitate however, if I found a better offer at another 5 star property. I know Marja was booked into the "Altis Belem", because she said so in this thread. I just wanted Marja to know that upon checking another of my favorite websites, the price at her hotel has gone down. Of course, I don't know what she originally paid, but wanted to give her a heads up on the new prices. I always check as we get closer to our arrival date. Most usually, the hotel prices come down as we get closer, in order to fill those rooms, which don't do them very much good, empty.

We probably are going to change hotels because the pricing is unbelieveable at all the rest of the 5 stars in the city.

Howard

Got word from our TA yesterday that they are on their way....so I can't high-step yet, but hope to be by tomorrow!

DHReam - Your honeymoon plans indeed sound like an exceptional once-in-a-lifetime experience! We would be 'up' for a little independent venturing on Madeira with any others of like mind....

Counting the days...................

Hi Sally,

First of all, I wish my DW Licia would get a little more enthusiastic about all of this, she is a cruise newbie. Her only other seagoing experience was some crazy deep-sea fishing trip off the Barbary Coast which ended in lunch being recycled overboard. (that was a voyage with a now very ex-boyfriend! Hahaha!)

Licia is quietly cynical and mildly allergic to hype. She is of the opinion... "Nothing one pays for can be THAT good, the best things in life are free!" And as much as I send her CC reports, she is yet to be swayed by the charm of the sea, or the onboard reports! Don't get me wrong, she is a sweet and easygoing gal, she's just as I said, a disciple of the church of: "If something is too good to be true -it usually is!"

I'm all for throwing myself into it heart and soul, but that's hard to do when even our docs have seemingly been sent via Lumbumbashi on an hourly-rate homing-pidgeon.

If we do make it aboard at Lisbon, we would love to propose a few ideas for Funchal (I will have done a bit more research by then!).

Here's hoping Seabourn can lift our spirits with something on the 'Spirit' we've never experienced before.... it's not that we're hard to please -it's just that few experiences in modern life live up to the hype that oft precede them... :) and if the lack of communication to date is anything to go by... need we say more?

Hi Sally,

First of all, I wish my DW Licia would get a little more enthusiastic about all of this, she is a cruise newbie. Her only other seagoing experience was some crazy deep-sea fishing trip off the Barbary Coast which ended in lunch being recycled overboard. (that was a voyage with a now very ex-boyfriend! Hahaha!)

Licia is quietly cynical and mildly allergic to hype. She is of the opinion... "Nothing one pays for can be THAT good, the best things in life are free!" And as much as I send her CC reports, she is yet to be swayed by the charm of the sea, or the onboard reports! Don't get me wrong, she is a sweet and easygoing gal, she's just as I said, a disciple of the church of: "If something is too good to be true -it usually is!"

I'm all for throwing myself into it heart and soul, but that's hard to do when even our docs have seemingly been sent via Lumbumbashi on an hourly-rate homing-pidgeon.

If we do make it aboard at Lisbon, we would love to propose a few ideas for Funchal (I will have done a bit more research by then!).

Here's hoping Seabourn can lift our spirits with something on the 'Spirit' we've never experienced before.... it's not that we're hard to please -it's just that few experiences in modern life live up to the hype that oft precede them... :) and if the lack of communication to date is anything to go by... need we say more?

Tell Licia that out daughter was 42 and 43 when she accompanied us on SB. She is of Licia's ilk..lives in Boulder, Co...and she absolutely loved it. The only reason she hasn't gone again..she has a job that requires that she be there..or she makes no money. In these hard times..that is the way it is. Hope this helps. Lola

For Marja and anyone else who cares,

I had booked our hotel in Lisbon several months ago and have been checking since to see if prices have come down enough to warrant changing hotels. My only requirement is that it be a 5 star hotel and not too terribly far from downtown Lisbon. We picked the "Avenida Palace Hotel" for not only its location, but its overall ambiance. I would not hesitate however, if I found a better offer at another 5 star property. I know Marja was booked into the "Altis Belem", because she said so in this thread. I just wanted Marja to know that upon checking another of my favorite websites, the price at her hotel has gone down. Of course, I don't know what she originally paid, but wanted to give her a heads up on the new prices. I always check as we get closer to our arrival date. Most usually, the hotel prices come down as we get closer, in order to fill those rooms, which don't do them very much good, empty.

We probably are going to change hotels because the pricing is unbelieveable at all the rest of the 5 stars in the city.

Howard

Thank you for your kindness Howard, but I already check the prices from time to time, but will certainly do it again..... we don't want to pay too much for the same product, do we?

Marja

To our honeymooners!

I quote:

Lack of communication.....? What do you mean by that?

Don't we all try our hardest to inform you?

I've sailed with Seabourn "a couple of times" and in a way I AM hard to please, but Seabourn still pleases me, don't worry, you're in for a wonderful voyage - interrupted by a few days of travelling, staying on a beautiful island in a wonderful hotel or bed and breakfast and then you will go back to "your" ship again! Yes, please say more, because I don't understand.....

Marja

To our honeymooners!

I quote:

Lack of communication.....? What do you mean by that?

Don't we all try our hardest to inform you?

I've sailed with Seabourn "a couple of times" and in a way I AM hard to please, but Seabourn still pleases me, don't worry, you're in for a wonderful voyage - interrupted by a few days of travelling, staying on a beautiful island in a wonderful hotel or bed and breakfast and then you will go back to "your" ship again! Yes, please say more, because I don't understand.....

Marja

Dear Marja, all you sailors on the board are great! What I meant is we are hearing about all of you 'Doc dancing' the days away and we wait... I know Sydney is a long way from anywhere, but I also know a package can get here in 2 days for anywhwere if it's in the right hands.

Our main concern is we emailed Seabourn politely advising special circumstances (the most important being, as you know, we have two seperate cruises booked and will be leaving our home 'doc delivery' address well in advance of these -next Monday in fact) so we provided our forwarding address in Scotland. This email was never acknowledged. Yes, of course I'll chase it up! After all what other option do I have! :o To date we have 'talked' to the computerised registration form on the Seabourn website... and our TA is 'me', and Expedia! Their lack of any communication bar an officious acknowledgement of our suites online (which we had to go look for) just does not 'gel' with the reports of how super-amazing they are on board.

I'm not a real TA I just did all our holiday planning because I had the time, and believe me, one does need the time! My advice now is, if you have other business to attend to, have someone else do it! ;)

We recently stayed in one of the top hotels in Singapore in the "Club" rooms, no less, and I can say the service, while adequate, came nowhere near their own hype!

Will.

Dear Will. breath, that's number one. Number 2, don't worry. If your docs do not arrive in time, you will not be denied boarding. Simply make a printout of your reservations that you made with expedia. You have already sent email to all the required parties and it would be a good idea to print those out too. Now that you've done the hard part, it is just time to relax and get ready for a great honeymoon. I am certain that once Licia gets on board and into the swing of things, she too will have a wonderful time. Please forgive us doing the doc dance as we know the product that is in store for us. After this trip you and Licia will know too.

It is not hard being your own travel agent these days. Every "product", ie, hotels, cruise lines and even trains make it very easy to buy their product. Just make certain that you have all the confirmations necessary to make the trip work. Then enjoy yourselves. Doing it yourself is the way of the future, don't let it get to you. Go slow and methodical and it will turn out just fine.

Howard.........a former travel agent

Dear Howard,

Thanks! We needed to hear that!

You were spot-on and made us realise that the tension of it all (and the Wedding) is just overwhelming right now! We're breathing again! :D

We know Seabourners love their product, boy do they get riled at the merest of negative observations, particularly when an outsider dares to comment, which is fair enough in context.

Maybe I've been unlucky, or held myself too naively to brochure hype in the past, but only two things exceeded my expectations (in context to the hype) and these were: A *budget* 1st class train ride on a Belgium Thalys TGV between Amsterdam and Paris last year, the staff (all 'ethnic' folks) were outstanding! And the next I'd have to go waaay back to 1996 and a flight on Malaysian Airlines business class SYD-AMS where we were upgraded to First because of the (back-then) smoking section of the business cabin being too close to our non-smoking seats.

Just about everything else has been just 'OK' and a few promised 'premium' experiences were drastically under-delivered. All our treasured moments have been 'free', for example, a full moon rising over the Eiffel Tower, or discovering a Lioness draped over a branch in a tree looking down on our vehicle in South Africa.

The rest, for the most part has been just pretty staff with plastic smiles and one eye on the clock. Give me a chilled glass of Champagne and keep it topped up, and I don't need any more 'ass-kissing' than that! Is that sooo hard to do? For most hotel/airline staff, sadly, yes it is.

Not here to rain on anybody's shipboard parade, just explaining further, as I was asked to do, why the 'negativity'!:)

Howard wrote, what I would have written - had I not been in bed!

I don't have my documents either yet and will email my TA about it, but on the other hand I don't (have to) worry because we're only leaving the 14th of November! And we have boarded Seabourn ships a couple of times even without tickets, having booked (too) last minute. So that's one worry less for you.

The only worry I would still have is your hotel on St. Thomas, being not to the level that you hope it will be, the third outstanding experience in your travelling life. Don't worry by then it would be the fourth.... But of course that is your own choice. For us it would be too close to the family that runs it; we never stay at friends' houses as well.

I also do most of our travel arrangements myself, just book the cruise with our TA and sometimes communicate with him. Flights and hotels are normally my own doing.

You can still ask Seabourn to send you an e-ticket for your cruises now. I had those for our last cruise in September.

And yes, you are right, "we" do speak up for Seabourn here on this board most of the time, though sometimes we have our complaints as well. It is best to share those with Seabourn directly and normally they will try to fix it.

I do hope your travelling before Lisbon will be easy and pleasant and look forward to seeing you on board!

Marja

Sigh! I hope you all don't think I'm a chronic whiner! I'm not that good at it yet! :)

So I thought I'd share a pic of our Lioness, (as mentioned above) she brought us such joy (as did playing with the orphaned cubs back at the park 'orphanage') it's obliquely on-topic... OK its not, but... just look at her Highness! It makes you wish cruise ships could sprout wheels and go ashore!

cheers, Will.

2006_1223_190948.jpg.27fe3568f46d79914176096c81fae75a.jpg

Well Marja, I'm glad you finally got out of bed. ;) Will, I'm reminded of the cruise we were on about a dozen years ago that went bankrupt in the last 1/2 of the trip. We had one of the best cruises ever. And I mean ever. It's what YOU make of your experiences that count. I am one of those people that always looks for the bright side of life. (I think that could be a song) And, if you look under enough rocks you're sure to find something.

Marja, great idea about the e-docs.

Howard

I don't know at what point a legitimate observation of my travel experiences borne largely in stoic silence at the time -and most that would have certainly had many people here demanding a refund, and in fact I excluded these in detail to avoid being overly gloomy- turned into a vision of us boarding with white cotton gloves to look for grease on the Diesels in the engine room has evolved, but thats the sense I'm getting from reading between the lines.

Let's face it, even Berlitz Cruise Guide repeatedly warns cruisers to beware of the cruise company hype, I'm starting to wonder if posters here are on the payroll!

I have gone to some lengths to explain that simple things keep us happy. I'm sure the Spirit will stun us into wordless wonder! :D

I'll just leave it at that. (When one is in a hole, stop digging, yes?)

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll see you on board, and no, I don't have horns and a pitchfork.

I don't know at what point a legitimate observation of my travel experiences borne largely in stoic silence at the time -and most that would have certainly had many people here demanding a refund, and in fact I excluded these in detail to avoid being overly gloomy- turned into a vision of us boarding with white cotton gloves to look for grease on the Diesels in the engine room has evolved, but thats the sense I'm getting from reading between the lines.

Let's face it, even Berlitz Cruise Guide repeatedly warns cruisers to beware of the cruise company hype, I'm starting to wonder if posters here are on the payroll!

I have gone to some lengths to explain that simple things keep us happy. I'm sure the Spirit will stun us into wordless wonder! :D

I'll just leave it at that. (When one is in a hole, stop digging, yes?)

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll see you on board, and no, I don't have horns and a pitchfork.

Hi Will!

I like your style of writing and if you speak the way you write, I look forward to talking to you. And your wife of course.

Don't get a bad taste in your mouth, not worth it. What you give, is what you get. I mean this in a very positive way...

And no, I'm not on the payroll (though sometimes I wish I was), but I do look like Cruella deVille!

Marja

And here I thought we had the beginings of a beautiful friendship. Well, at least when I see 2 stunned looking people at the Sky Bar at sail-a-way, I'll know it's Will & Licia.;)

Will, please don't take what I've said in any other way than as an act of kindness and friendship.

I too look forward to meeting and seeing you all on board the, dare I say, beautiful "Seabourn Spirit".

Howard

Ah, Will! What a gorgeous, stunning picture of that lioness. And just look how relaxed she is! Makes a person feel calmer just to look at her....lol.

Your pre-H'moon concerns are perfectly legit and understandable. The whole ball of wax - (including...ummmm, oh right - the wedding (not to be confused with "The Marriage") but... a honeymoon of such ambitious proportions...why wouldn't you be starting to worry whether things will be up to expectation, worth the time and distance and cost. And more so, if your lovely bride is a wee bit lax on the enthusiasm side (for the cruise).

OK - I will take the lede here and 'fess up to a big complaint about Seabourn;). We found it ridiculously difficult to catch anyone's eye at breakfast for coffee refills (this, despite really excellent service in every other venue at every time of day in every part of the ship). There. I've said it! Also, (having first experienced the bathrooms on Silversea), I was not a big fan of the Seabourn bathroom/tub arrangement (which may be moot if you're doing one of the larger suites).

And you may be on the other side of the globe, but I'm having a wee bit of concern right here in Middle America as our docs (said by our TA to be on their way last Thursday) have not yet arrived. Hopefully, we'll all have reason to breathe easier in the next day or so. What is the actual date of your wedding? May it be a wonderful occasion that signals the start of a wonderful life together. :)

Dear Sally,

Thank you for your gracious reply, let me say that dear Licia is oblivious to this exchange, as she's not into the board at this time for obvious reasons!

I'm not wanting to argue with anyone over niggles in hotel service, heavens above, before we've even met in person! So please Howard, and Marja, may I apologise if my last post sounded a little exasperated.

In a final word of clarification, the whole exchange related to "HYPE" versus what has been actually delivered, thats not specifically targeted at Seabourn, why on earth would it be -if I had not actually been there and done that. :)

Naturally I've had many many wonderful service experiences, I was merely outlining the superlative ones where the delivery exceeded the promise!

And pointing out that more and more products fail in that promise as marketing is often less than honest these days, and staff are the ones who usually bear the brunt of cost cutting, hence their sometimes 'lacklustre' delivery. That dosen't mean the rest of my travelling life experiences have been hell, nor do I wander the world making it hell for waitstaff. :)

Sometimes its difficult to express these emotive things in writing without being misunderstood and/or upsetting folks! :p

Busy busy! ...see you all on board and we'll all have a giggle over this!

Will (and the very distracted, Licia).

'...... What is the actual date of your wedding? May it be a wonderful occasion that signals the start of a wonderful life together. :)

Sally its next Thursday, in Singapore, October 29.

I've got the pre-nuptual jitters! (no regrets!!! just jitters!):D

I need all the best wishes I can get!

Thanks, Will.

...just me doin' a clod-footed doc dance!!

They arrived this afternoon (just as the TA promised when I called her to inquire today). I agree with whoever posted about concern in actually using such nice luggage tags - that they might 'go astray.' But then...unless I use one for my dog, they're not much other use, right?

Will - I'm sure we'll all be thinking of you next Thursday. Sail through jitter-free and then...you can sail away!

Will, on Thursday, we shall all be toasting you and Licia and wishing you both all the happiness life has to offer.

"ltsally", I thought I heard something. Congrats.

You know, maybe we should arrange something for Will & Licia, like a honeymoon or wedding type cake or something. What does everyone have to say about that? Afterall, we will have many days at sea. We have to find something to do, no?

Will, on Thursday, we shall all be toasting you and Licia and wishing you both all the happiness life has to offer.

"ltsally", I thought I heard something. Congrats.

You know, maybe we should arrange something for Will & Licia, like a honeymoon or wedding type cake or something. What does everyone have to say about that? Afterall, we will have many days at sea. We have to find something to do, no?

That's a great idea Howard! And you know what: Let's keep it a secret, a surprise.....;)

Will and Licia, I will certainly remember your wedding date (because it is a special date for me) and will rise a glass to your happiness!

Marja

Marja, good idea, I hadn't thought of that. OK, we don't tell anyone. Wait, how will everyone know, if we don't tell them. Oh, I am so confused. I will have to give this some more thought. Hey, how about a white party. Everyone, bring something white for the surprise party for Will and Licia.Marja, you and I will fix it all when we get on board. But, you musn't let the n-------ds know what we're up too.

Howard

Hello everyone!

You all really make me blush! After all, as a doting paramour, I did advise Seabourn of our honeymoon, and I do have every confidence that some hard-working pastry chef, will at the very least, have the job of icing a cake comemmorating that...

However, Licia (who I know you all have not met -or heard a peep from) is truly oblivious to all of this, so if -and I hold none on the CC board to any promises- you experienced cruisers take it upon yourselves to organize something for her sake, and I stress -not mine, I'm sure she will be blown away!

Or maybe not... let me explain! As an engagement surprise, I arranged her favourite hotel snack (a club sandwich in one particular hotel) to be delivered to our room while she was running a 'diversionary' errand, I hid the sandwich in a drawer (thus the aroma permeated the room -details! details!) and placed the ring in its box under the cloche that had, up until now, covered the displaced sandwich.

DW duly returned, and with an unforgettable flourish, exposed her 'future on a plate' to exclaim... "Where's my sandwich!!!

She got her appetite back -and then some, after she opened the box! :D

(she confided later she thought it contained just earrings... Earrings!!! will one of you ladies on the board please explain how that thought process happened?!!, no don't!! Some thing are better left unknowable!)

Dear shipboard friends, by all means, 'knock yourselves out!', but just make sure you order a club sandwich as back-up!

Speaking for myself, I'm genuinely touched -even to have such an idea being publicly aired, albeit tongue in cheek... I think I'm beginning to suspect what it means to be a part of the Seabourn family, and that's giving a gizzled ole cynic like me... goosebumps!:)

Well Will, you never cease to amaze me (and I haven't even met you yet...!).

Reading your post gave ME goosebumps and I mean really. (I must admit I get them quite easily - many songs do the same thing for me).

You must be a poet or at least a writer. You also make me work hard - once you get carried away you use words that I never heard of and never read (being Dutch of course, but I suppose you know that already..) - I have to look them up in the on line dictionary. By the way thank you for that, I always like to learn new words.

Did you not notice you were using DW in stead of DF? What if she says NO?

One more thing: Why have you removed your profile photo, any particular reason? Afraid we will recognise you two "lovebirds"?

And how is it possible that you know about this "surprise thing" - it was supposed to be a secret!

Have a nice weekend and a fantastic wedding ceremony and party (I suppose)!

Marja

Archived