Roll Call Seabourn Spirit 15-11-2009 Lisbon-Ft. Lauderdale

Seabourn-nail

Goodness, does this mean I'm a 'woman of mystery' at last!!??

I'm afraid it's not Lieutenant Sally - tho if I were going to have a rank, I think I'd prefer something along the lines of 'Major General'...:) or even, Major Major. It might be an unfair riddle for Marja, but, Howard, I bet you could probably figure things out if I used a clue: American pop culture.....?

In the meantime, for a first name, let's go with Arjay.

Well, "Sally" or Arjay (that could be R and J, or?) you really don't have to give us your first name. Some people just don't like that, I respect it. No hard feelings. But I'm glad you kind of like being mysterious...

I will just leave it open (for the time being or for ever).

American pop culture - as in "pop" = music? I do know about American music, but have to think longer.... I know one song "Go, Sally, go....", but that wouldn't be it. It is like trivia here and I never participate in it....!

Have a nice evening all!

Marja

I believe there is only one terminal at Lisbon. Plus fetting a taxi was a breeze. We'll be staying at the "Avenida Palace" near "restaurant row". Where is everyone else staying? That is if you are staying overnight or more. Lisbon is very compact and especially easy to get around. Plus taxis are quite resonable.

Howard

This is our first time in Lisbon. We are arriving on Thursday after flying from Fort Wayne to Detroit to Amsterdam to Lisbon (thankfully in business class). Then staying at the Hotel Britania for 3 nights so we can board the Spirit relaxed and rested! We are looking forward to meeting all the CC members on this cruise.

My experience is that 1:30 is about as early as we ever get onboard. We haven't ever eaten lunch then. We're always greeted with champagne or wines and sweet snacks. Until close to departure, we always get the feeling that everyone is very busy checking in all the guests and finishing preparations for sailaway. However, the attitude of the crew is to never say no. If you ask for something, they usually find a way to accommodate. That's what is so fantastic about Seabourn.

Ginger

My experience is that 1:30 is about as early as we ever get onboard. We haven't ever eaten lunch then. We're always greeted with champagne or wines and sweet snacks. Until close to departure, we always get the feeling that everyone is very busy checking in all the guests and finishing preparations for sailaway. However, the attitude of the crew is to never say no. If you ask for something, they usually find a way to accommodate. That's what is so fantastic about Seabourn.

Ginger

And coffee or tea and sandwiches. We normally go to check in in the lounge, then to our suite and pretty soon thereafter to the Sky Bar!

Unpacking after sail away since we always have a late dinner. Unless the wind is very strong, then I try to do it before!

Marja

Okay, "ltsally", I'm coming up with "Little Richard" and "Long Tall Sally" , but am sort of confused by "Arjay" and am somewwhat in the dark, probably along with Marja. But I think I am prepared to name the names needed.............

I suggest it was "Colonel Mustard in the Library, with the rope".

Marja, not to confuse you further, but the above is a board game we played when we were kids called, "Clue".

Really "Arjay", you remain a complete woman of mystery, as you wish.

Howard

BTW, we never plan to arrive until after lunch because it is too boring to have to wait in a lounge while your room is being prepared,

Bingo, Howard - you got it! (And I loved the Clue reference - used to be such a favorite).

TravelHop: If this is your first visit to the Britannia, I think you will find it to your liking. It's a block of Liberdade (a beautiful, busy boulevard), so a little quieter. There's a metro stop just a block or two away. Our room was one of the largest we've ever had in any hotel. (Just don't expect too much if you order a martini in the lobby bar...or heaven forbid, a scotch & water - after much brow-furrowing and follow up questions, they served spouse's with tonic - NOT an acquired taste!:eek:)

Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Vincci Baixa?

>"...because it is too boring to have to wait in a lounge while your room is being prepared"

While I don't like to arrive too early, I enjoy waiting in the lounge, greeting the familiar staff, seeing everyone one come aboard, and people watching. I also like the sandwiches and cookies and a bit of champagne.

>"...because it is too boring to have to wait in a lounge while your room is being prepared"

While I don't like to arrive too early, I enjoy waiting in the lounge, greeting the familiar staff, seeing everyone one come aboard, and people watching. I also like the sandwiches and cookies and a bit of champagne.

I like your idea Jane, not too early, not too late!

Mrs."Arjay", I'll see you on board!

Have a nice weekend!

Marja

Jane BP: A good tip on the T&L story; going to try to find it.

I think I looked once, but didn't have much luck finding a CC thread with specific Lisbon info. Do any of you frequent TA-ers have a favorite Lisbon restaurant to recommend?

Jane BP: A good tip on the T&L story; going to try to find it.

I think I looked once, but didn't have much luck finding a CC thread with specific Lisbon info. Do any of you frequent TA-ers have a favorite Lisbon restaurant to recommend?

I'm not a frequent TA-er or even a frequent cruiser.

You might say I'm a frequent-flier ;)

In my travels, I have tried many of the Big Name guides, but I find 'Footprint' are the ones I like best (and so does Michael Palin) seeing as I'm a 'nobody'.

You can make up your own mind here: http://www.footprintguides.com/Lisbon/Restaurants-Eating-And-Drinking.php

Itsally

While in Lisbon don't miss a visit to Cafe' a Brasileira (Rua Garrett, Chiado area) The coffee house was founded in 1905 and the Pasteis de Nata (creme tarts) are as good as the famous bakery in Belem. The Rua Garrett Street is not to be missed ~~fabulous shopping plus charming open air street bistros.

Enjoy your Lisboa stay!

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a real thrill to see our suite (201) allocated on the SB website today!

We love that we'll probably enjoy the sunsets in our 'sitting room' since we're located to starboard while sailing southwest, and also that the bow whirlpool is practically on our doorstep!

Up till now it was all a bit abstract, now it feels more like that lovely feeling when one day in December it suddenly 'feels' like Christmas! :p

Will & Licia.

We're also excited about Lisbon!

We found a one way fare on Expedia British Airways non-stop from Heathrow for US$3 (yes THREE dollars each!) too bad the taxes are about $160!:(

We enjoyed the Portuguese cuisine in Taipa ('Old' Macau) and can't wait to try it 'en casa' in Portugal.

We also found a very cosy little Pension via the Tripadvisor website.

It's a 'private' residence so only takes one couple per visit, but maybe someone transiting Lisbon might want to try it another time?

It's here: http://www.alfamahouse.com/ 2 nights for E140, plus free pickup at the airport and drop off at the pier.

Since I noticed that a couple of passengers received their cabin assignments, I had to find out if I had been assigned as well, and lo and behold, I have been given cabin 310 a B3 category and now I am doubly excited because having the french balcony doors is such an added plus for us. We love being one with the sea so to speak and with Seabourn being so close to the water is a major joy for us. Thank you Seabourn.

I wonder though, just how many folks are on borad this trip. I mean, Seabourn has 3 ships crossing the Atlantic this fall, including the "Odessey". Plus we have been given a huge upgrade and makes me think we may be a small company of sailors.

Howard

Hi Ginger, when I read your message, I thought, like wow, what happened? How did they fill up so fast, since I last looked? So, I looked again today, and aside from the double suite category, everything else is available, everything! Even the least expensive category "A". I think you must have been looking at one of the other ships status. But, you are most definitely right, it doesn't matter how many are on board, as long as I am, I don't really care if we are totally alone. I just love Seabourn and don't care about the rest.

Howard

Hi Howard! Your reply made me question how I made the mistake. Here's what happened. Paul and I are booked from Lisbon through the extra five days when the Spirit goes on to St Thomas. When I looked on our seventeen day cruise booking, the ship is wait listed in every category except the top two. So I checked just the transatlantic portion, and you're correct, every category but one is available. Thanks for helping clear that up for me.

The only thing better than being booked on a Seabourn cruise is being ON a Seabourn ship!

Ginger

Hadn't had a chance to look in here for a few days, so....waaay exciting to see that cabins were being posted:D. Got home, fired up the machine and - yep! We got an upgrade, as well! Of course, on our last crossing, the lovely balcony was duct taped shut the first few days thanks to King Neptune having a bit of a hissy...but whatever.

Funny how a little thing like knowing your 'address' makes it all seem a step more real and ups the 'anticipation quotient', eh?

I'm surprised, Marja. You and Rene spend so much time on Seabourn, I would think you would get better than that. When Paul and I sign up for a guarantee, I always worry that we'll end up with a shower only suite. It hasn't happened yet, but it would definitely be a disappointment for me. A gamble I know.

But in your case, with an assigned room and then additional days, it's a shame they couldn't have upgraded you.

Still, I look forward to seeing your sweet smiling face onboard!

Ginger

I'm surprised, Marja. You and Rene spend so much time on Seabourn, I would think you would get better than that. When Paul and I sign up for a guarantee, I always worry that we'll end up with a shower only suite. It hasn't happened yet, but it would definitely be a disappointment for me. A gamble I know.

But in your case, with an assigned room and then additional days, it's a shame they couldn't have upgraded you.

Still, I look forward to seeing your sweet smiling face onboard!

Ginger

Hi Ginger!

And I look forward to seeing yours as well! You can't see enough friendly faces...

Upgrades are normally only given to those who have booked a GTY suite and we didn't in this case. So went from 229 to 225, shower only!

We did have upgrades before and will be happy with future upgrades; you can't have it all! So don't worry I'll be smiling all the way! And you never know, maybe there is an opening. What suite will you and Paul be in?

Marja

Marja

Paul and I will be in 319. Very happy about this since we will be onboard for the extended seventeen days. We have enjoyed those tiny little balconies just for some occasional fresh air.

Also, we are looking forward to meeting some new critic cruise members.

Ginger

Archived