Roll Call Seabourn Spirit 15-11-2009 Lisbon-Ft. Lauderdale

Seabourn-nail

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Congrats to the newleyweds, Will & Licia. I have been at a wedding here in Boston, Massachusettes for my beautiful neice and I have been so busy with what is going on here. Now I need to go home and start sorting. This is the part I really like. It makes everything so real that we are really going to going away on the Beautiful Seabourn Spirit. And, right out of drydock is usually even better. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Again the very best of luck, happiness and laughter.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Howard[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hello to you all my lovely shipmates, and we belatedly thank you for your wishes on the day, for the day!

It all went without a hitch -apart from the intended one, and we're now busily sorting through the thousands (160 guests, most armed with cameras) of pictures and a few dozen videos of the event, to see what happened, as all we remember are blurry bits!:)

We packed before leaving Singapore, so we're now just chilling (literally) in rainly Scotland with my darling Sister, Anne-Marie. Scotland is beautiful however, if a bit damp and windy.

On the subject of packing, we're annoyed to have to deal with several airlines baggage 'rules' that seem to be arbitrary -nothing more.

Example:
Qantas SIN-LHR 30kg hold baggage allowance per pax.
British Airways LHR-GLA 23kg,
BMI GLA-LHR 20kg!!!
...and £8 per kg over 20kg.

I had to leave my kilt in Singapore, it being the heaviest item. I thought of wearing it on the flights (as i have done previously) or even DHL one 30kg suitcase to SIN-LIS, but in the end, the 'hassle' factor outweighed, pun intended, the need to be sartorially correct for just 3 formal nights, and truth be told, its MURDER trying to enjoy a decent dinner with all that wool and leather around your torso! I will have to make do with my service commemorative formal Argyll jacket and black tie teamed with black pants. I'm also bringing a tropical suit and a black suit/blazer (the suit/blazer combo being possible thanks to the design genius of Versace) so 'clothes horse' Howard can expect some friendly competition most evenings :D

Madame's wardrobe is a closely guarded secret! But I must say she has relaxed markedly since last Thursday.

The Banquet itself was (and i know this word is overused) but it was... Fabulous! Everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time judging by the 'cheers' and toasts going on and on at every table we visited near the end of the evening, and I was impressed and charmed by the effortless professionalism of the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel banquet team, and will be writing to the manager, as well as having already passed on our thanks to the front of house staff in person.

....there i go... waay off topic again, as is my wont, so We will regale you all with wedding stories and pictures over dinner. The Seabourn waitstaff have intructions not to tighten the handcuffs affixed to your chairs too much, unless you get caught nodding off.;)

It's nearly sail-away tiiiime! :D

Will & Licia.

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Dear Will, (and licia, but she isn't really reading this, right?) I am so very happy for you both. My neices' wedding also went off without a hitch and isn't that too too wonderful. But having all of your friends take and send pictures is also a blessing. Even with tons of help, one hardly ever remembers ones' own parties. There's only one thing left to say to you: MAZELTOV!!!!!!!!:)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Dear Marja, while I was searvhing yet again for deals on hotels in Lisbon, having way too much time on my hands, I found a rate of 190Euros for the "Altis Belem: on a "booking dot com" kind of sight, and thought you might find that interesting. I even thought we would stay there but my partner wants to be more central, so we'll stay at "Avenida Palace". Really can't wait to meet you and Rene. Hope you're feeling a bit better.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]We leave one week from today and I am so ready.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]This has probably been discussed earlier, but alack and alas, I can not find it anywhere. My documents are inconclusive. They say; "3 formal nights" but nothing about the others. On our last Seabourn Transatlantic, we had 3 formal and 2 casual (first and last nights), and the rest "Elegant Casual". Does anyone know for certain if this is correct for our cruise? Will is sort of locked in as he is in Scotland already, but I would really like to know more as I can not find anything on the web-site. I don't mind wearing a jacket but my partner would prefer a couple of more casual nights. Yes, I know we can eat in our room if we wish, but we don't. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]See you all soon. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[I][COLOR=darkorchid]We will be in our plane a week from today as we speak now! It was questionable for a while(:() if René was allowed to travel regarding his health, but we've been given the green light now :)...[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Will and Licia, I'm happy all went well and was fantastic on your wedding. Yes, Scotland is very different I can imagine.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]We also deal with various allowances regarding our luggage. 20 kilos to go to Lisbon in economy and from St. Thomas and New York business class, so plenty....[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I will have to find an "in between" solution for it and definitely pay extra for the KLM flight to Lisbon, which is still a lot cheaper than flying in business class and not having a much better seat at all![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Howard, thank you for your good wishes. I'm doing somewhat better already (even my neck and arm pain seem to fade finally). [/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I will look at the hotel price and what is included in that offer, because I now have booked a de luxe room incl. "Romance package" for not too much more. So I think I have a better deal![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I can't wait to be at Schiphol Airport next week, but before that still a lot to do! Babysitting, dinners out, grandson's birthday, hairdresser, packing and sorting things out etc. In short: the usual! Lucky me; I'm grateful:)[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Have a nice weekend![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Marja[/COLOR][/I]

We got very lucky with our baggage restrictions this time. Because we purchased our tickets so early (back in July) we are allowed two checked bags 50 pounds each on both flights- U.S. to Lisbon and St Thomas home. So for once, I can have a great time bringing all the shoes and clothes I want!

Looking forward to seeing all the Cc'ers at the Sky Bar.

Ginger

Seems like all our hearts are pitty-patting a little more rapidly as the clock ticks down...and for our newlyweds, even more so! Glad to hear how wonderfully everything went, Will. (Didn't realize you were a Scot - your Aussie address had me thinking differently. So, your accent is....? (Sorry - but I'm a sucker for anything Celt!)

Baggage discussion is causing anxiety - though I think I looked pretty thoroughly a few weeks ago and learned (with a lot of relief) we had 50# on AA Chicago-London and 50, as well on BA to Lisbon. Did make our rez's last summer, perhaps that helped?

Howard - You've just saved me time; I was about to go look at S'bourn home to see if there was any more info re evening attire. Seems to me, they used to provide a whole schedule before departure, and it certainly made packing ([I]just a little[/I]) less stressful.

I'm about to go climb a ladder and tackle some gutters (my debut at this lovely chore). Cross your fingers, please!!

[I][COLOR=darkorchid]In the past you didn't even get to know how many formal nights there were expected to be before your cruise, so this really is an improvement already! You will find the dress codes mentioned when you arrive in your suite. And even then during the cruise they can make alterations due to for instance weather circumstances. So we will probably have 3 formal nights and from experience I know that on crossings most other nights will be elegant casual rather than just casual. Yes of course first and last night always casual and maybe one other night. That is my guess![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I will go through my closets today to get together some outfits already, but packing no sooner than Friday! It will be different for our next cruise though, when we will have valet luggage service..... Then I may have to pack more than a week before the cruise![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Have a good week all and...... stay healthy![/COLOR][/I]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorchid]I know it is still early in the week..... But the weather forecast for Sunday November 15 for Liboa is: Lots of rain!:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9932cc]I will try to influence that in a positive way...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9932cc]Marja[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Marja, thank you. I have to agree with you as to the clothing. In 07 on the Legend, we had 2 casual 3 formal and the rest elegant casual. I will slip an extra sports coat of Dereks' in his suitcase without him knowing it. I just got him to agree on a tuxedo shirt and we got a couple of tie yourself bow-ties from a friend in London that we've been wanting to try. Luckily it comes with directions on how to tie them. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Marja, I too will do the "No Rain Dance" that my "tribe" is know for.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]I second the "Stay Healthy" part. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]Just a few more days. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4]"Sky Bar" @ 5.[/SIZE][/FONT]

We hope to still see everyone on board but right now, a bad storm is coming our way. Wave action of between ten and fifteen feet. So most of the boats are out of the water around here. Paul is putting up the hurricane shutters and taking up some of the dock boards. Hopefully, we'll still have our dock when we fly out on Thursday morning. After living upstairs for two years after Hurricane Ivan, we need some good luck coming our way!
Thanks for the rain report, Marja! We had hoped to do a walking tour in Lisbon on Sunday. We'll pack some rain gear.
Crossing our fingers, we'll see you all soon!

Ginger
Gulf Breeze, Florida

[quote name='lifelover']We hope to still see everyone on board but right now, a bad storm is coming our way. Wave action of between ten and fifteen feet. So most of the boats are out of the water around here. Paul is putting up the hurricane shutters and taking up some of the dock boards. Hopefully, we'll still have our dock when we fly out on Thursday morning. After living upstairs for two years after Hurricane Ivan, we need some good luck coming our way!
Thanks for the rain report, Marja! We had hoped to do a walking tour in Lisbon on Sunday. We'll pack some rain gear.
Crossing our fingers, we'll see you all soon!

Ginger
Gulf Breeze, Florida[/quote]
[COLOR=darkorchid][I]Oh Ginger![/I][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Sorry to hear about the storm that is heading toward you! I hope it will slow down or change it's course; you certainly don't need that![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Sorry about the Lisbon rain too; it may change though....[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I'm also in stress at the moment, due to a medical problem René has.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]We will have to deal with things tomorrow before we will know if we can go.... Talk to our doctor first and go from there![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Hope to see you all at the sky bar or in the lounge at check in![/COLOR][/I]

Dear All,
This will probably be my last bulletin before we all hopefully raise our glasses to fair winds and smooth seas in the Skybar @ 5 on Sunday (how did you know what I was thinking Howard!):D

Marja and Rene, We add our very best wishes for Rene's health and trust you will be with us.

Ginger, Good luck with the storm warning!

LT Sally, Hope you get your luggage lugged without further fret.

My own drama unfolded Friday with a dreaded call from Australia, my beloved Oscar, a Tabby cat who owned me for 16 years, had to be put down due to a tick infection (he was being looked after by our fantastic neighbours, but Australian gardens can be deadly places). The weekend was therefore pretty miserable, but life goes on. My first drink on board will be dedicated to his memory, he had the heart of a Lion and he never left my side. Vale Oscar.

I hope you all make it to the Spirit without further dramas, and lets all hope for a vacation without any more bad news from home for anyone!

Will & Licia.

Things are looking up. In Florida at the home front, the sailboat is still in the lift and the dock is still standing! Some loose boards and a day of work will put all back in place.

On another happy note, Marja says on her facebook page that the medical problems are in check and they will see us onboard. Wonderful news.

Now if I can just finish packing!

Ginger

That's good news on TWO fronts, lifelover! Glad you didn't take much of a storm hit...and great to hear Marja's report!

Will - so very sorry about Oscar. Our animals give us so much more than we could ever give back.

Safe and healthy journeys to all of us as we hit the road to Lisbon!

[quote name='lifelover']Things are looking up. In Florida at the home front, the sailboat is still in the lift and the dock is still standing! Some loose boards and a day of work will put all back in place.

On another happy note, Marja says on her facebook page that the medical problems are in check and they will see us onboard. Wonderful news.

Now if I can just finish packing!

Ginger[/quote]

[I][COLOR=darkorchid]I'm glad Ginger and Paul, that you will make it too and that the damage is not too big![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]René has permission to travel, no doubts, but has to have his blood tested every couple of days for INR = International Normalized Ratio.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]And they can do that on the Spirit.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I will go upstairs now to see if I have something to wear on my cruise;)![/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=darkorchid]I will start packing now.....[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]If I don't get a phone call from parents again. Spent hours and hours last night and today due to terrible nose bleedings of my mother. Got home at 1AM this morning from hospital and had to go again with my parents, because the bleeding could not be stopped. The poor woman .... they had to hurt her a lot![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Bye now, see you Sunday![/COLOR][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Marja and all Spirit TA Crosser's,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Have a fabulous and safe Crossing ~~I posted a long 'Bon Voyage to you early this a.m. but CC was having problems and it disappeared!:confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Please tell Capt. Magnus, Staff Capt, Kai, Nelson & Shawn at the Sky Bar, also Nick Hale and Ex "German"Cheffy ~~Ex. Housekeeper, Tracy et al ~~"Howdy" from the Texas Cowgirl/Sailor woman ~~JB and I have booked the Spirit Dec. 16th-St Thomas to Ft Laud., so will see the Spirit Gang then.......anyone else aboard for the 5 dayer?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Have sunny days with blue skies above ~~magical sea days!:p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]'Amigos Para Siempre![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Martita B.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Poor Marja!

Fate seems to really be playing nasty tricks on you via your loved ones health!

Ms. Martita,
Thanks for your good wishes, we will say hello to your Seabourn friends!

Licia and I are in Lisbon, were in a private pension in Alfama, and very pleased with it! The only drawback is (for some, not us!) it is a walk up some steep alleys (no wheeled traffic bigger than a barrow can reach it!) the owner, an expat French Canadian chap, is very nice, picked us and our BIG bags up at the airport as part of the deal, and also will be here at 2pm on Sunday for the short transfer to the Spirit -we are right on the Rio Tagus here, a bit south (or maybe north?) of where the Spirit will berth.

I (since madame is busy doing other crucial things involving salty snacks and chckflicks on HBO) have even done a light load of washing in the machine and hung it out on the balcony line so I am now a true local :D

OK, the city lights are just coming on and we have had a siesta, so now its time to explore the little alleyways for a taste of Lisboa!

See you (if anyone is left reading this) on Sunday!

Boa noite! (good evening!) Will and Licia

Well, we are in Lisbon having a wonderful time. Got here yesterday afternoon and feel like we are pretty well over the jet lag already. Had a great day today touring with Jorge Bras who was wonderful. We traveled around the coastal regions north of Lisbon (Sintra and Cascais) today and are doing some of the city tomorrow. But are most excited about boarding the Spirit on Sunday!! At every restaurant we say "this bread is good but here come the breadsticks!!"). We look forward to seeing all of you on the beautiful Spirit on Sunday!

[I][COLOR=darkorchid]Thanks Martha and Will![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Just about ready now.... one book to chose and very important!!! ... get my Seabourn nail "on"![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]I'm very tired, flight at 12.50 tomorrow in stormy weather!!! ... then hopefully relaxing afternoon/evening in our Hotel Altis Belem, just around the corner from the Spirit. [/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]See some of you Sunday![/COLOR][/I]

Archived