Just returned from the Mariott marina

49holding

Won the Mariott Marina for a 1 nite stay Nov 3rd ( a weds) for a cruise departure the next day. It was my first time at the hotel so we didn't know any better and just asked for a room with a view. Received a room on the 3rd ( top) floor of the the east villa which is connected to the main building by a walkway. Our room overlooked the waterway or intercoastal ( not sure) lots of big yachts outside. Nice view. As far as the view was concerned I could see that some rooms in the west villa overlooked the parking lot so I guess we were lucky. Next time I will ask for a room in the tower(s). The room was on the small side 2 dble beds with a small table and chair squished in, plus a balcony.We had drinks at the tiki bar which run about $5 or so Cabfare from the airport was $11 plus tip. Weds eve took the water taxi to Las Olas ate at the cheesecake factory...we split /shared the entrees as we know they are so gigantic. Thurs am we walked to Walgreens then Publix ---a healthy walk---and bought beer and wine ( no problem getting them on the RCCl ship in our collapsible small cooler carryon). We signed up for the free shuttle and could pick our times. We didn't eat brkfst per se at the mariott just coffee and pastry from the starbucks kiosk in their lobby. We liked the Marriott... very nice hotel... I wouldn't pay rack rate for it ($200 or more per nite) Thank God for priceline.

If you want to try to win the Marriott on priceline, be sure to bid 3*, downtown. I won the Marriott both this past March and for next March. Price for this past March I won at $52 for a Monday night, next March for a Saturday night stay was accepted at $75, still a great price for a great hotel.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, very expensive, you did well to just get coffee at the Starbucks kiosk.

I overbid $92...my first time on priceline. I initially bid $70 3 star downtown and rec'd a counteroffer of $22 more. I had learned that you should offer half the counteroffer however it wouldn't accept my bid of $81 as I hadn't rebid the full counteroffer amt to $92.So then I just bid $92 and won. I have learned since that when the counteroffer comes in then just rebid half of the amount using a free rebid by adding non 3 star zones like Mirimar and Pompano. Oh well...6 of us split 2 rooms so the difference wasn't that great per person. I saw the breakfast was overpriced and we didn't go for it as we would be stuffing our faces on the cruise soon enough. We had a wonderful cruise BTW on the enchantment...best short cruise out there.

• 3 months later...
Won the Mariott Marina for a 1 nite stay Nov 3rd ( a weds) for a cruise departure the next day. It was my first time at the hotel so we didn't know any better and just asked for a room with a view. Received a room on the 3rd ( top) floor of the the east villa which is connected to the main building by a walkway. Our room overlooked the waterway or intercoastal ( not sure) lots of big yachts outside. Nice view. As far as the view was concerned I could see that some rooms in the west villa overlooked the parking lot so I guess we were lucky. Next time I will ask for a room in the tower(s). The room was on the small side 2 dble beds with a small table and chair squished in, plus a balcony.We had drinks at the tiki bar which run about $5 or so Cabfare from the airport was $11 plus tip. Weds eve took the water taxi to Las Olas ate at the cheesecake factory...we split /shared the entrees as we know they are so gigantic. Thurs am we walked to Walgreens then Publix ---a healthy walk---and bought beer and wine ( no problem getting them on the RCCl ship in our collapsible small cooler carryon). We signed up for the free shuttle and could pick our times. We didn't eat brkfst per se at the mariott just coffee and pastry from the starbucks kiosk in their lobby. We liked the Marriott... very nice hotel... I wouldn't pay rack rate for it ($200 or more per nite) Thank God for priceline.

I take it that the Walgreens doesn't sell beer?

Walgreens which is across the street doesn't sell beer or wine, but Publix which is further down does and has a big selection

Did you enjoy the Cheesecake Factory. There will be four of us for dinner - probably around 7pm. Would you suggest reservations and did you take the water shuttle to get there?

TIA

Also, with the move of the Publix Markets to new location, is it closer to Marina Marriott or further away. Will ned to pick up some wine. :)

mem2515 - Which Marriott??? The Marina Marriott is right across the street from the entrance to Port Everglades. The Harbor Beach Marriott is across the bridge and about a mile farther down the street, on the beach. The safest place to park you car is at Port Everglades in the covered garages, they're $12 per day. There is also a Park 'n Fly lot at the I-595 entrance to Port Everglades if you would prefer that... http://www.pnf.com/ftlauderdale/default.htm

Northender - The Cheescake Factory in the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas is awesome. The water taxi stops right behind it. I don't think they take reservations though, and the wait can be lengthy at peak times on weekends. It's VERY popular!

The new Publix would be slightly farther away from the Marina Marriott. It's now across the street from where it used to be, behind the Embassy Suites in a new strip mall that's mostly hidden from SE17th Street. Go south on the street on the east side of the Embassy Suites and you'll run right into it, it's in the back of the new strip mall.

Thanks Trent. Just called CKF in FLL and they DO NOT take reservations. Best time to come in is before 6pm. A tad early for dinner for me, but we won't get much on the plane, so maybe take our time having a drink or two and then eat. :)

I think I will cab it to Publix :D

I had my bids rejected for next Feb - the start of the winter break, so I just redeemed some of the points I earned when I travelled for business and it's now free. It didn't even attempt to counter anything, just said I must expand my area before it would search again. The second bid I submitted was 89 and it still wasn't interested.

Weds eve took the water taxi to Las Olas ate at the cheesecake factory...we split /shared the entrees as we know they are so gigantic.

Anyone know more about the water taxi? How long does it take from the Marriot at Marina Bay to Las Olas?

It's about 20 minutes, the following links are for the printable schedule & map...

http://www.watertaxi.com/PDFs/WaterBusSchedule.pdf

http://www.watertaxi.com/PDFs/WaterBusMap.pdf

Marina Marriott is stop 10, if you want to go to Las Olas you'll want to get off at either stop 12 or 13.

All other water taxi info here...

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Archived