Are we screwed my friend only has drivers license and social security card?

kyle2227

Hi all. I booked us a carnival cruise next fri-mon it goes. The problem is I found out afterwords that my friend lost his birth ceritficite and does not have a passport. He does however have lots of credit debit cards with his name on it, college photo ids with his picture on it drivers license and social security card. The cruise is only going to the bahamas? What all forms of id are accepted it says something about he needs two forms of id. Thanks for info all.

I beleive you have a problem. You needed either an official photo id AND a birth certificate or a passport BEFORE the rules changed now I believe you need a passport. You could go to one of the passport centers with tickets in hand and get a passport but I do believe that also requires a birth certificate. Have your friend get the birth certificate pronto if you want to go.

ruh roh. :(

Your friend has to have a certified birth certificate, plus his driver's license. He needs to find out where the nearest location is that he can get a certified birth certificate....not just a copy......and get himself there ASAP. Good luck.

EDITED TO ADD: OK, I just read FastFreddie's response. You may need the passport and not just the birth certificate. The rules have changed so much, and we already have our passports ~ so I haven't paid attention to that.

You need to find out for sure if you need a passport, and if so, he MIGHT be able to get that where gets the birth certificate. It will cost him extra to expedite the passport, if they are able to do so. Best of luck to you.

Years ago I couldn't find my birth certificate. I wound up getting information from the state I was born in online. I called the state/ city office and they told me to send the information needed, money, and a paid overnight envelope. I also sent everything overnight delivery. The overnight costs were not cheap and it did take a few days. Being that Monday is a legal holiday, it's going to be tough. Good luck.

If he cannot find his birth certificate or have it replaced with a certified copy he cannot cruise. He cannot apply for a passport without his BC or a certified copy so that isn't an option for him at this time.

Passports are not required yet. They will be required after June 1, 2009 for itineraries that do not start and end at the same USA port, so called "closed loop" cruises. These itineraries are still exempt from the WHTI document requirements.

In our town, Birth Certificates are gotten in the same building as the Health Dept. We get them same day, but that's if you were born in this county. If you no longer live Close enough to drive, you could have someone you know/family get you one and send it to you. That might save some $ on some online company overnighting it to you.

Sorry you didn't look into this prior to booking the cruise. At this point, you have Tue.Wed.Thur. to get the certified copy of his b/c...otherwise, you lose all your $$$.:( Hoping for a miracle for you.

I have seen folks turned away at the terminal for not having proper ID. They take no excuses.

Unless the copy that you friend lost was a CERTIFIED copy, it would have done him no good anyway. They will only accept cert. copies. We obtained ours from our court house for $7 and they printed them out on spot. There's not alot of time or money involved in this if he is near his hometown, but if he lives in another state now it could be costly as the previous poster stated due to overnight charges. A b.c. that is certified has the county embossing (some counties are sticker type seals, stamp, or actual embossed) seal on it. Good Luck and have a wonderful cruise!

I sincerely hope that your friend is able resolve his problem. If he can't for some reason and the worst happens you have the option of someone else sailing in his place. It will cost $50 for the name change and you will need to contact Carnival in advance. It is better that losing his entire fare. You might want to contact Carnival and let them know of the problem now so you can be prepared.

I really hope everything works out for you guys. :)

I would call your cc company and try to dispute the charge and get your money back. Then have your friend get a new bc and start all over.........

BTW how old are you two?

And for what "valid" reason could they dispute the charge with the c.card company ??? The cruiseline was not at fault...:confused:

I sincerely hope that your friend is able resolve his problem. If he can't for some reason and the worst happens you have the option of someone else sailing in his place. It will cost $50 for the name change and you will need to contact Carnival in advance. It is better that losing his entire fare. You might want to contact Carnival and let them know of the problem now so you can be prepared.

I'd contact your TA, Carnival right away if you're subbing someone else in. Check to make sure you abide by the time rules. Good luck.

OMG that is stressful! I keep all our BC's together in our safe!

I would order one ASAP and OVER NIGHT THAT THING! My brother had to do that last year when he could not find his and he got it in time. I think he had more than a week though.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

Hi all. I booked us a carnival cruise next fri-mon it goes. The problem is I found out afterwords that my friend lost his birth ceritficite and does not have a passport. He does however have lots of credit debit cards with his name on it, college photo ids with his picture on it drivers license and social security card. The cruise is only going to the bahamas? What all forms of id are accepted it says something about he needs two forms of id. Thanks for info all.

He must prove his citizenship. There are only a few ways to do that; Passport, Birth Certificate, Naturalization papers, Affidavit of Birth.

SocSec and the other stuff has nothing to do with citizenship. Without a birth certificate he won't be boarded.

Here's a link on getting a copyP:

http://www.vitalrec.com/birthcertificates/

We experienced this situation last month when we were sailing to the Bahamas from Miami. We were 6 hours into the trip from NC when we realized my sister left her birth certificate at home. OMG!!!! She had to fly back home for fear that they would not let her board the ship. Thank God, she made it : ) As long as your friend is a US citizen, they can still use the 2 forms of id: a certified copy of his/her birth certificate and a driver's license with no problem. You should still have time to get the birth certificate from the courthouse as long as it' s nearby and you can go there and get it. If not, I'd call the Carnival hotline number that should be in your reservation documents to see if there is anything else you can do.

If he cannot find his birth certificate or have it replaced with a certified copy he cannot cruise. He cannot apply for a passport without his BC or a certified copy so that isn't an option for him at this time.

Passports are not required yet. They will be required after June 1, 2009 for itineraries that do not start and end at the same USA port, so called "closed loop" cruises. These itineraries are still exempt from the WHTI document requirements.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE on the not needing passports for "closed loop" cruises? We're booking a surprise reunion cruise for Granddad's birthday in October 2009 and were told we needed passports by TA. I haven't investigated further, but this would make the SURPRISE most difficult or impossible (we literally plan not to tell him where we're going till we get there!) as we would have to get him to apply for passport in person, and of course that would give it away, as he knows he's not traveling in a plane out of country.

Do you have a direct contact regarding this or just contact CCL in general?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

Jane in NC

Archived