Antours vs RCCl Ship tour for tubing

lovetocruise99

I'm trying to decide between the ship's tour (as a rule I hate doing these) or Antours 5 hour river tubing and Emerald Pool tour. The dilemma is this-we've recently done a couple of long island tours where either my husband or daughter were stuck riding in the pull down middle seat of a crowded van for 6 hours around winding roads. They've asked me to find out more specific information about the tours on this cruise instead of just going by general recommendations. So can anyone give me an hour by hour rundown of the 5 hour river tubing tour by Antours? How much time is actually spent on the river and at the Emerald Pool? How far of a drive is it from the port to the river?

Any specific information would be very appreciated.

OK. I'll try. Our family, including kids ages 14 and 10, did Antours river tubing/Emerald pool 12/30/08. I highly recommend this tour. It was our favorite of the cruise. We shared a comfortable minibus with an extended family of about 20 fun, delightful people from our cruise. The drive to the Emerald Pool (first stop), was about an hour. The stop at the Emerald Pool was about 45 min to 1 hour (15 min walk to pool, 15-20 min in the pool, 15 min walk back. From there we drove about 15 min to Mr. Nice's fruit stand and partook in the delights of the island (maybe 20 min). We then proceeded to river (maybe another 15 min drive) for tubing. Preparation for tubing was, perhaps, 30 min, with about 45 min on river, itself. After the river we drove maybe another 15 min to a black sand beach (great!) and stayed about 20 min. From there the drive to port was about 15 min. I don't know if this adds up to 5 hours, but I'm only making approximations based on memory. All in all, the tour was expertly run, with lots of variety. The driving was no problem. There was plenty of time at the stops, and I wouldn't change a thing. Go for it!

I took this tour last year and it was similar but different. Our group was only 6 people, so we were in a small van that held about 10-12 people, so there was ample room for everyone. I enjoyed the unhurried nature of the trip - no precise time schedules here. We were supposed to meet at 9 am but by the time everyone gathered it was 9:30 when we left. We also went to Emerald Pool (I think it was less than an hour). We did not go to the fruit stand, but we did go to the beach for a little longer at the end. We were back by 3:30 which was well before the ship was scheduled to leave. I definitely did not return with the impression I had spent the day riding in the van.

Be sure everyone has water shoes/sandals for the tubing and wear your bathing suit. The driver gave everyone plastic bags for "stuff" which they then locked in the van while we were on the river. They had drinks in the van but you should bring some snacks. This is essentially a day without lunch. There are vendors at Emerald Pool but nothing on the river. The beach had a restaurant and bar, but it was after 2 pm by the time we got there.

The folks from Antours took our pictures on the river (that's me in the tube) and emailed them to us later. I thought that was great!

We went with Antours when we took the Noordam cruise.

This is our third time in Dominica. This was our first with Antours.

We had a van, with a medium size group, about 10 I believe.

I didn't feel like we spent all our time driving around. Of course, you go from the dock to the rainforest, but it wasn't too bad.

We thought Antours was great. That day the ship's rivertubing trip was cancelled because the water level was a bit high.

They were flexable and seansoned tour operators. They changed the order of the tour, and we went to the river last, when the water level had gone down and it was safe to put in. They had about six assistants with us that went down the river and assisted us when necessary. Everything was done with safety in mind.

We are planning on going with them when we return to the Noordam in November.

Have a wonderful time!

I'm trying to decide between the ship's tour (as a rule I hate doing these) or Antours 5 hour river tubing and Emerald Pool tour. The dilemma is this-we've recently done a couple of long island tours where either my husband or daughter were stuck riding in the pull down middle seat of a crowded van for 6 hours around winding roads. They've asked me to find out more specific information about the tours on this cruise instead of just going by general recommendations. So can anyone give me an hour by hour rundown of the 5 hour river tubing tour by Antours? How much time is actually spent on the river and at the Emerald Pool? How far of a drive is it from the port to the river?

Any specific information would be very appreciated.

consider Wakki tropical forest park where you can Zip wire through the trees,

this you can do on your own from the ship,

take a local van $1.5,will drop u at the river mouth ,entrance to Wakki park,10 min walk through, following the same river(TUBING) Up to the reception camp,great fun

consider Wakki tropical forest park where you can Zip wire through the trees,

this you can do on your own from the ship,

take a local van $1.5,will drop u at the river mouth ,entrance to Wakki park,10 min walk through, following the same river(TUBING) Up to the reception camp,great fun

web wakkirollers@yahoo.com.

http://www.visit-dominica.com/index.cfm

Archived