Would Honfleur be a central spot for Normandy?

Hello! Honfleur is a beautiful little town. We were there a few years ago, also with a rental car. You are easily within a couple of hours drive of the D-day beach areas but hard to say exactly how long a drive because there are several places to stop along the way and be sure to go as far as St. Mer Eglise. There are also lots of other areas in Normandy that are not "D-Day" related--spectacular scenery...and bouche (tastings) of the local apple brandy called Calvados along the roadsides. We stayed at a B&B, not in Honfleur, but I think you would find the city charming with many shops and restaurants.

Bon voyage, whatever you decide!

We're going back and forth between a land trip to France and a Western med Cruise for 2010. We are looking at an apartment in Honfleur. Would that be a reasonably central place to tour around Normandy? We would have course have a car.

Tx

We stayed at Cronbridge Holiday cottages at Berville sur Mer

http://www.cronbridge-holidays.com close to Honfleur. and about a 2 hour from Beyeux.which is a good base for the Normandy Beaches,, Des & Shiela are a British couple that own the very comfortable clean & very well equiped cottages, prices are very reasonable. if you have more questions e-mail me . www,margaret_hinkley@yahoo.com.

We stayed at Cronbridge Holiday cottages at Berville sur Mer

www.cronbridge-holidays.com close to Honfleur. and about a 2 hour from Beyeux.which is a good base for the Normandy Beaches,, Des & Shiela are a British couple that own the very comfortable clean & very well equiped cottages, prices are very reasonable. if you have more questions e-mail me . www,margaret_hinkley@yahoo.com.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Honfleur is a beautiful seacoast town. It would be an all day drive to the beaches in Normandy, but if you have time you can go a couple of times to see different things. Point du Hoc is a must and the museums relating to the war, also. If you wanted to stay closer to the beaches in Normandy, than I would suggest Bayeux. However, there is no comparison to Honfleur, which is my favorite place in Normandy. There are wonderful places to eat along the harbor.

We're going back and forth between a land trip to France and a Western med Cruise for 2010. We are looking at an apartment in Honfleur. Would that be a reasonably central place to tour around Normandy? We would have course have a car.

Tx

Honfleur is great.

Click on the link below that will lead you to a video of Honfleur that I recently posted on Youtube.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

Wow, you have amazing videos, thanks for sharing.

Cruise Junky,

Thanks for the comments. Please do me a favor and post this comment under the Cruise Video section of Cruise Critic so other people will know what you think of the videos.

Thanks very much,

Cruzer Two

• 3 weeks later...

We first visited LeHavre on a cruise several years ago and did a self-driving tour of the Normandy beaches. One day was not enough time to scratch the surface so 2 years ago, we went back on our own for about 9 days. We stayed just outside of Honfleur at LaChaumerie (link below) and used our rental car to venture out. We made several different trips to the beach areas because there is so much to see. I highly recommend going as far as St. Mere Eglise; in addition to the church there is a wonderful museum there right across the street. There are also excellent museums at Utah Beach and Caen. One of our favorite spots (which we stubled upon by acciden)t was Pegasus Bridge, where BRitish glider forces came in at dawn on D-Day to save the bridge over the Orme River. The first house liberated is just across the street, and a superb museum on site as well. Don't miss that one! Honfluer is a beautiful little town for those days you just want to stay close to home base, and there are also the Cider and Cheese routes, not to be missed. Normandy is just wonderful!

Have a terrific time; it was one of our best vacations EVER.

http://www.hotel-chaumiere.fr/

Archived