Paid Upgrades

PAFC2004

Hi all. I've been upgraded from an inside to outside before free of charge, I know that happens. But does anyone know what the chances of an upgrade from inside to balcony are? I realise it won't be free, but if anyone could give me an approximate price, that would be great.

Hi all. I've been upgraded from an inside to outside before free of charge, I know that happens. But does anyone know what the chances of an upgrade from inside to balcony are? I realise it won't be free, but if anyone could give me an approximate price, that would be great.

hi pafc, if you rang your TA they would let you know but if you want a balcony you should have booked first

rkmw

hi pafc, if you rang your TA they would let you know but if you want a balcony you should have booked first

rkmw

You're right. I didn't think at the time, and the company I went through were not the best. P&O advertised specials for paid upgrades on this cruise, but is that only available if you book through them directly?

You're right. I didn't think at the time, and the company I went through were not the best. P&O advertised specials for paid upgrades on this cruise, but is that only available if you book through them directly?

hi pafc, i think that if p&o have a special any good TA would know about it but you cant ask p&o because you didnt book with them and they wont tell you anything so i would ask yout TA can they upgrade you to a balcony if any are available and at what cost

cheers rkmw

Booked a balcony on PD months ago then recently saw a great deal for mini suites on the same cruise. Asked my T/A if I could pay for an upgrade but they said they would need to cancel the original booking and I would therefore loose my deposit. Needless to say I didn't bother.

Booked a balcony on PD months ago then recently saw a great deal for mini suites on the same cruise. Asked my T/A if I could pay for an upgrade but they said they would need to cancel the original booking and I would therefore loose my deposit. Needless to say I didn't bother.

That's unfortunate. Strange to be honest. I would have thought that closer to the date, they would be willing to sell upgrades. I have learnt that it's up to the TA entirely, and not the cruise line though. Is this right?

It's a pity you would have lost your deposit. :(

We had booked an inside guarantee on Sun Princess (yes I know it is not P & O!) and paid the final amount. Then a special became available on balconies and we decided to up-grade if we could. Princess cancelled our booking and instituted a new one and they were kind enough to only charge us the difference (around $480 each for a 28 night cruise). The balcony was great, and we appreciated that Princess let us swap over the booking. :D

On the other hand, friends booked on the March Cherry Blossom cruise who changed their booking after final payment lost their $1500 deposit each (for 4 people). Ouch!! A special had become available for past passengers and they were still better off. :):)

Evon.

Interesting. I was just told by my agent that they can't do anything about upgrades. I won't be going through them again. P&O say that the agent is the only one with power to do anything... not what I remember from last time.

It impacts the agent's commission to change booking class so once a booking has been assigned to an agent, the cruise line cannot change it without being initiated by the agent. If booked directly, only the cruise line policies apply, without them having to worry about a 3rd party (their contract with the agency).

It impacts the agent's commission to change booking class so once a booking has been assigned to an agent, the cruise line cannot change it without being initiated by the agent. If booked directly, only the cruise line policies apply, without them having to worry about a 3rd party (their contract with the agency).

Thanks for the reply. I honestly thought P&O automatically made upgrades sometimes. Guess not. It was a big stretch to book this holiday, but its something I really need. An inside will be fine obviously, but outside would be a nice surprise.

Hi Big M,

Do you mean that to be eligible for a requested/paid upgrade your agent has to request it or your booking had to have been direct with P & O? Whichever way you book I think you are eligible for a free upgrade.

Evon.

If you pay $$$$ you will get upgraded. Like we just paid an extra A$1300 for two, to change our originally booked J inside cabin (deck 9 Caribe) for a B2B 27 nighter on Crown Princess, to go up to an obstructed oceanview, (deck 8 Emerald.) Luckily too we have the same cabin for both cruises, so no elmovo.

I was just a little claustraphobic in an inside cabin on Sun Princess around OZ last year.

Sure if I could afford it I would book a minisuite or balcony cabin, but at the end of the day like most of us you book what you can afford and would you think you would feel comfortable in.

I rang our TA to see if i could do a paid upgrade. To either an outside or a balcony ( we are travelling on the Pacific Sun in 2 Weeks) She said they are all booked but would waitlist us. So i guess it is possible if the rooms are available. She didnt mention losing our deposit or anything from doing it.

Interesting. A few other sites are now offering reduced rates. I have an inside room requested, and for another 33% I could get a mini-suite at another site. Also, I could get an outside for another $90 as opposed to $500. I haven't paid in full, so I'm not sure what to do.

:Djust arrived home off PD W903 and two lots of our friends whom had booked mini-suites were very excited when the upgrade fairy visited them and they were upgraded to SUITES! no extra cost:D we enjoyed our cabin with balcony but no upgrade for us :(

Interesting. A few other sites are now offering reduced rates. I have an inside room requested, and for another 33% I could get a mini-suite at another site. Also, I could get an outside for another $90 as opposed to $500. I haven't paid in full, so I'm not sure what to do.

I would take an outside cabin for an extra $90, but the extra cost for a mini-suite depends on your finances and where you are cruising. Having your own balcony is fantastic. If you are interested in up-grading I suggest you talk (nicely) to your TA and ask them if they can up-grade you for the extra. When you mention the competing TAs it should give them the hint that if they can't help you, then the next time you book you would go straight to the other TA where you can get good deals.

A mini suite would be nice ..... :):)

Best of luck :).

Evon.

I would take an outside cabin for an extra $90, but the extra cost for a mini-suite depends on your finances and where you are cruising. Having your own balcony is fantastic. If you are interested in up-grading I suggest you talk (nicely) to your TA and ask them if they can up-grade you for the extra. When you mention the competing TAs it should give them the hint that if they can't help you, then the next time you book you would go straight to the other TA where you can get good deals.

A mini suite would be nice ..... :):)

Best of luck :).

Evon.

All I wanted was an outside cabin. After being quoted another $500pp for an obstructed view and being sworn at by the consultant, I spoke to the supervisor who did it for $110pp. It's obstructed, but better than inside. I was called a liar for quoting other sites and asking them to help me out.

I won't be going through these guys again, that's for sure. But all I can hope now, is that being a past passenger, I get a little surprise!

All I wanted was an outside cabin. After being quoted another $500pp for an obstructed view and being sworn at by the consultant, I spoke to the supervisor who did it for $110pp. It's obstructed, but better than inside. I was called a liar for quoting other sites and asking them to help me out.

I won't be going through these guys again, that's for sure. But all I can hope now, is that being a past passenger, I get a little surprise!

I am horrified at how you were treated. We booked our last cruise through a well-known local cruising TA. When I rang Bianca enquiring about the cruise, I mentioned that a competing TA had a lower price on their website. She dropped their price to $100 or so less than the competitor. All done very politely. When I heard about specials on a balcony cabin, The TA went to a lot of trouble to get our booking changed and then keep us on early dinner sitting. She went to so much trouble, and always with a smile in her voice.:):)

Evon

Congratulations on gettng your upgrade, at a reasonable price.:)

Not so good that you were spoken to in such a manner. I would not be booking with them again either.!!!!:eek:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and all this rigmaroll(?) will fade into the background.:D

You will love the Pacific Dawn ....she is such a beautiful ship...lots of room, and lots of places to go and have a drink, or read, or whatever!!!!

Archived