Tipping (or not) in Specialty Restaurant

ttax

We are cruising on the Constellation in two weeks and the recent change in tipping policy reminded me of a question I've had in the past. We have never been sure if we should tip in the Celebrity Specialty restaurants. It's an uncomfortable topic to ask a server or Maitre'D and we've never gotten a clear answer, and we've therefore added a gratuity. So my question is, should we tip and how much? I apologize if this has been asked recently - I tried to a search with not much success.

Tom

We are cruising on the Constellation in two weeks and the recent change in tipping policy reminded me of a question I've had in the past. We have never been sure if we should tip in the Celebrity Specialty restaurants. It's an uncomfortable topic to ask a server or Maitre'D and we've never gotten a clear answer, and we've therefore added a gratuity. So my question is, should we tip and how much? I apologize if this has been asked recently - I tried to a search with not much success.

Tom

This reminds me of an article I saw recently on MSN.

It was titled "Has tipping gotten out of Control". (you might do a search on MSN.)

In a word yes.

Cruise lines have raised gratuities to the max, a result of those whom don't tip, now they make sure all receive gratuities equally.

I don't eat in the specialty restaurants, (but I know people who love them) because I expect food the be the best in the dining room.

I no longer tip extra, period, if gratuities are automatic, I don't like it, I like to tip those whom I feel go beyond, but that is the way it is now.

With the incredible prices of drinks, including soda, I no longer fear tips, but I don't tip extra.

This is a very personal issue, and if you feel that someone deserves extra, then go for it.:)

I have tipped an extra $5 to $10 depending on service. It is not 100% clear how much of the cover charge goes to the servers as a gratuity, but a good guesstimate is $5 (this is largely based on the fact that on Solstice Class people in suites receive two complimentary meals in specialty restaurants and are informed that the suggested gratutity is $5).

Since the cruise line states that the gratutity is "included" in the cover charge one should not feel compelled to tip extra, but many people do tip extra.

From the source:

Gratuities

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day Waiter $3.65 Assistant Waiter $2.10 Dining Room Management $1.00 Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day Butler (Suites Only) $3.50 Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms) Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

If the Specialty Restaurant is included in the mystery category of "Alternative Service", and it makes sense that it is, then no addition gratuity is needed. This makes sense - and barring some more compelling theory - we will consider our gratuity covered. The argument that we should tip extra if the service is extraordinary is not compelling because we are paying a $30 per person surcharge to eat at the specialty restaurant and in our experience the food and service is always spectacular, which is the point of this dining experience. Thanks for your quick replies.

If the Specialty Restaurant is included in the mystery category of "Alternative Service", and it makes sense that it is, then no addition gratuity is needed. This makes sense - and barring some more compelling theory - we will consider our gratuity covered. The argument that we should tip extra if the service is extraordinary is not compelling because we are paying a $30 per person surcharge to eat at the specialty restaurant and in our experience the food and service is always spectacular, which is the point of this dining experience. Thanks for your quick replies.

No worries mate. :) Enjoy your cruise!!

Just so you know, the 'alternative service' does NOT include waiters in the specialioty restaurant:

Originally Posted by Celebrity Captain's Club E-Mail

...In regards to your inquiry, the ship has advised that the $1.25/day for "Alternative Service" is divided up amongst various Housekeeping staff, not including the stateroom attendant or stateroom assistant....

We had great service and acted like big spenders and left an extra $10 bucks.

Cathy

The $30 charge covers the gratuity.

From Celebrity's website:

There is a cover charge for dining in the specialty restaurants onboard Constellation, Millennium, Infinity, and Summit. This charge is a $30 per person charge that will be posted to your onboard signature account (This covers gratuities). Additional charges apply for wines and other beverages purchased as usual.

No, the "Alternative Service" has nothing to do with the specialty restaurants. If you do not want to tip extra if you receive spectacular service, that is fine and your choice, but don't make false justifications about your reason for doing so.

This topic has been discussed many times. From everything I've heard and read my take is that the $30 includes a gratuity but it is not clear how much. While a few posters in the past have had the impression that the entire $30 is all gratuity I do not believe that is the case and that only a small portion goes to the wait staff.

Tipping is always a personal decision based on your own preferences and finances. Personally we always tip the staff something extra as the service is always superb. But if you're on a tight budget and wouldn't normally tip "extra' then you needn't as the $30 does (or did) include a gratuity.

I was told the same thing when I contacted Captain's Club, towit....the charges for the specialty restaurant are gratuities.

No, the charge "inlcudes" the gratuity which means that a portion of the charge goes to the servers. The cruise line itself obviously takes in a significant amount of the charge so that they make money from the specialty restaurants (as well as to offset the increased cost of higher quality food and increased labor costs of additional staff such as chefs). Figure that about $5 goes to the servers out of the $30 cover charge (based on what several people have had relayed to them by staff as well as that Celebrity tells people in suites on Solstice class that the suggested gratuity is $5 per person in the specialty restaurants when they have complimentary meals there).

For those who do chose to give an additional gratuity when dinning in the specialty restuarants- do you do it with cash or can you put it on your ship accoount card?

I added it to my ship account card, but others that I have dined with have done cash. You have either option. Even if you pre-pay for the dinner, you can request that they bring you a blank "charge" slip so that you can put an extra gratuity onto your account card.

Archived