Wine near dock in San Diego

DaveOKC

We are staying at the Hampton Inn at Pacific and Beech in San Deigo the night before the cruise and I would like to pick up a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise on a Saturday morning before we board.

Can anyone guide me to a place within walking distance?

Thanks

DaveOKC

The closest is probably the Von's supermarket on 19th between Market & G, but that's a 2 mile walk from the Hampton Inn, then 2 miles back to the ship.

But it's in the SW part of the Gaslamp district, so if you're over there (for dinner, say) getting stocked up then cabbing back to the Inn would work.

-dave

A short cab ride to "Ralph's Market" -- get a Ralph's card (no cost) before making purchases -- at their office. We bought 6 bottles Woodbridge White Zinfandel and other friends bought Chardonnay, etc. -- all about $2.50 a bottle with the card and no problem taking on the ship. We have suite so just use to entertain and we don't take to the dining room. A glass of Woodbridge in piano bar is $4.75!!! Also bought husband's favorite soft drink and took all on board. We were staying at Holiday Inn on the Bay and their shuttle around town dropped us off at Ralph's - free - and we caught the cab back to the hotel.

The Hilton on Mission Bay is a nice hotel but is not near any stores. If you are going to be going out to dinner (away from the hotel) there are plenty of stores around. Up Clairemont Dr. from Mission Bay there's a little center with a Keil's market and a liquor store among other stores. Or restaurants and grocery stores nearby in Pacific Beach or the Rosecrans/Midway area. Are you going to have a car? How good a selection are you looking for? Cost Plus does have a good selection and sometimes good sales too.

We'll be at the Manchester Hyatt precruise---is Ralph's within reasonable walking distance? Are there shops in Sea Village (for wine) that would be closer?

Thanks so much!

Janet

There's no one selling wine retail in seaport village, no. The same Ralph's, Von's and Cost+ mentioned earlier in this thread would be the closest for you.

What kind of wine are you looking for? If it's the sort of everyday wine often found at food markets and neighborhood liquor stores then the places mentioned are fine. If you're looking for top notch stuff (ie Ridge or Montelena or Lafite or Grange) there is one store in downtown, it's called the Wine Bank. It's at 363 Fifth Ave. The phone is (619) 234-7487. If you know what you want they might deliver to your hotel. If you are coming into San Diego the day before there are other stores I like better but they are farther away from downtown. (I have no $$$ ties to this or any store)

Bob Foster, Founder, San Diego National Wine Competition

Hi Bob--

Believe me, I wish we were looking for the kind of wines you mention! HOWEVER that is not the case--- we're just looking for a few average bottles to take along to our cabin. Cost+ should be just fine and thanks so much for the response.

Hi Gary--

We are on the Jan. 5 Statendam to Hawaii, Tahiti etc. After reading some less than favorable reviews on the condition of this ship, we are hoping for the best! We always manage to have a great time so am not really worried.

Janet

Janet-We have been on Statendam twice in the last 18 months or so and had a great time on each cruise. I am also a little concerned over what I read recently. Frits Gehner was the hotel manager and he was really excellent and the staff very much liked him (at least the ones I spoke with). But, I understand he has moved to another ship. We'll hope for the best. Let us know what you think on your return.

I think we will walk over to Cost Plus from the hotel on the morning of embarkation and select our wines, pay for them and have them hold them at the register and then pick them up in the cab on the way to the pier mid day. A couple of our favorite everyday white wines that CP always has are Hess Select Chardonnay ($6-8 depending if on sale), and Ferrari Carano Fume Blanc (Always $11.99, but almost always on sale at that same price!).

FWIW

Gary

I live about two blocks from the Hampton Inn and agree with the poster regarding the Wine Bank. They have the best selection at a wide variety of prices from very reasonable to very expensive. Can't go wrong. You can take the trolley--get on at Little Italy and change at America Plaza to the orange line going towards the convention center. Get off at Gaslamp and you will be at the foot of Fifth. It is just up fifth.

Ralphs is not on 19th and Market. It is Market at about 1st or second. G is the other street parallel to Market.

Another "walking distance" idea is to go into Little Italy and buy wine. At Mona Lisa at India and Hawthorn, they have a nice selection of Italian whites and reds, cheap to expensive. This is walking distance from the Hampton Inn and a lovely stroll past restaurants with outdoor seating and shops. You may want to have a little Italian lunch before boarding. You can also purchase just about anything Italian like cheeses, meats, etc. for your own hors d'oevres on board.

The Ryndam and Statendam are both in port and I can hear them blowing the muster drill horns now!

Gary--

Thanks so much for your suggestions re wine--have made note of both and will hope to try each. At home we try to buy wines from WA--two favorites are L'Ecole 41 Chenin Blanc and Ste Michelle's Pinot Gris. As you can see, we like whites. Because of our tax structure all wines are sooo expensive here so we are looking forward to shopping in San diego.

Never would have thought of having the cab stop on the way to the ship (you can see how much imagination WE have!)--so thank you for that idea as well.

Am hoping someone just back from Statendam/Hawaii will post a review soon.

Janet

Archived