Solo Again!

billylen

So I have booked a solo cruise (15 day South America RCL) and athough I cruised Alaska solo a few years back, I have never cruised solo for this length of time. I have considered asking a friend to go with me, but somehow I just want/need to have this experience alone.

The reason I am writjng here is because what I remember from my first experience is that I had a really good time for about 97 to 95% of the trip, but there were a couple of moments when it would have been nice to have someone to share a particuliar moment with.

Its probably me, but the most akward time is at dinner. Sitting with others even when I have a companion or two has always been hit or miss. I have considered skipping the formal dining altogether and just eat in the buffet for the entire trip.

I notice that women tend to have an easier time when traveling solo or maybe its just my mindset?

If anyone has any comments it would be appreciated. Regardless of how it turns out, I am really looking forward to this cruise! Thanks for reading.

Hi Bill:)

I sail solo all the time and always request a large table for dinner.

And I always go on formal nights:)its one of my favorite times

of the day!

If you booked through a Travel Agent have them put down a

request for a large table.

If by chance you don't click with your tablemates, my suggestion

is to go see the Maitr'd and have them make a change for you.

Normally the wait staff is as accomadating as possible.

Eating at the buffet every night? It has never even crossed my mind

to do that.....I love the dining room too much!:)

Your itinerary sounds wonderful! Hopefully one day I will be

able to do it too:D

Have a great trip! I don't have any solo experience...just trying to work up the nerve to do it....from what I read on the boards here, it seems like a great way to travel. I have a lot of cruising under my belt, but always with my husband and/ or other family. Unfortunately, my husband passed away 1 1/2 yrs ago, so I either have to buck up and go alone ( I think I could) or wait on others to go with....so, I applaud you...and I am sure you will meet some fine companions on your trip!

I choose to cruise solo as well. I have to agree with Lois that requesting a large table in the dining room is the way to go. On one cruise, I did eat at the buffet in the Windjammer one evening and it was the loneliest dinner I have ever had onboard! It was back to the main dining room for dinner after that.

I also have to agree with you that there is a small percentage of the time that I wished that I could share a certain experience with someone but that is not restricted to cruising. It happens occasionally in my everyday life as well.

If you are concerned about meeting people on your particular sailing, make sure that you visit the Roll Call on this board for your particular sailing as well as registering and attending the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle that will be held onboard usually within the first few days of sailing.

I know you will have a great trip.

Bill, I can understand your concern about the 3% of the time, but don't you experience that in everyday life? I know I sure do. But look at the glass as more than half full---97% of the time you're going to be soooo happy that you decided to take this cruise.

Our wonderful solo expert, Lois, gave you very good advice, as usual :). If you ask for a large table at dinner, you will feel more comfortable. But, if for some reason you don't like your table, do NOT be afraid to go to the maitre'd and ask for a table change. Don't subject yourself to the buffet !!! The main dining room is where it's at for the best food and conversation. I've always enjoyed the whole dining room experience.

Happy cruising !!!

Hi Darcie:)you give me too much credit...lots of people

(including you) sail solo all the time:)

Question for you:).....I am trying to see if I can try Crystal...not

sure it is in the budget but there is a 10 night cruise in Dec 2010

on the Crystal Website that looks really good. It would give me

time to save some extra $.

Should I call them directly or try to find a TA who can help me?

I always book direct with X.

Any advice you can give me would be great!

Thnaks everyone for the encouragement. I have to agree (and I haed not considered it) life is like that for me (meaning the 3%). I think my only concern is the dining room. On my last cruise we were seated a a table with mates who were like watching paint peel, bur out of many cruises that was only one of a couple of times that has happened. I did approach the Matre'd and we were moved to another table.

So it appears a large table is the way to go? hmmm

I have signed up for the Meet and Mingle, but I notice that so far the group appears to be populated eith couples... Thanks again everyone I think I just wanted to get my concerns off my chest..

Free therapy can be a good thing :)

Lois, I'm getting ready to go on my 3rd Crystal solo cruise (Panama Canal) in 2 weeks. Yes, Crystal costs more, but it is so worth it. On my last cruise I was at a table for 10 including the ship's doctor. What was fun was it was all men except for 3 women - a real change - in a good way.

You can't book directly with Crystal, you must use a TA. I use a travel agent across the country that gives an OBC plus at least one nice excursion per cruise. Crystal does not allow discounting fares by travel agents, so this is how the agents reward their clients.

Start saving those dimes! There's nothing like being Crystalized!

Lois, I'm getting ready to go on my 3rd Crystal solo cruise (Panama Canal) in 2 weeks. Yes, Crystal costs more, but it is so worth it. On my last cruise I was at a table for 10 including the ship's doctor. What was fun was it was all men except for 3 women - a real change - in a good way.

You can't book directly with Crystal, you must use a TA. I use a travel agent across the country that gives an OBC plus at least one nice excursion per cruise. Crystal does not allow discounting fares by travel agents, so this is how the agents reward their clients.

Start saving those dimes! There's nothing like being Crystalized!

Hi Tillie, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it:)

Lois, Crystal does not have direct booking, so you must go through a travel agent. Try and find one that belongs to either Virtuoso or Ensemble. That way you can get certain amenities like pre-paid gratuities, free shore excursion and a couple of parties all included. My TA belongs to Ensemble and I really like the amenities that their participation provides.

Book an E category on deck 7 if your cruise is on Symphony. They are the least expensive cabins, have great picture windows that aren't obstructed. If you book an E on deck 8, those are all pretty much obstructed cabins---the E's on deck 7 are really great cabins.

Crystal includes soda and bottled water on their ships, they have free laundry facilities, and on every cruise you'll have two parties where all your drinks are gratis, including top shelf alcohol.

Any other questions, please ask !!!

Archived