Talkeetna Aero Services or Talkeetna Air Taxi?

Travel-Jen

We plan doing some flightseeing of Mt. Mckinley / Denali from Talkeetna. Which service do you recommend, Talkeetna Aero Service or Talkeetna Air Taxi?

We have a coupon in our Toursaver book that is a 2 for 1 for either vendor.

Thanks! :)

They actually cobook each other. If you book a glacier landing it will be with Talkeetna Air Taxi, if you book a summit flight it will be with Talkeetna Aero. (unless either of them have purchased new aircraft??) What are you looking at booking??? Be certain to do your homework and understand the differences on routes and flights.

I've done them all. :) For me a glacier landing via helicopter is far superior, unless you want to experience a ski plane- ok for me, 1 time. :) I always have a preference for the summit flights.

I did Talkeetna Air Taxi with the Toursaver and was satisfied. They honored the coupon, we did the glacier landing, and being at the same airport as Talkeetna Aero I didn't think there was much difference between the two. Second-best highlight of our trip to Denali, second to whitewater.

Well, was leaning more toward the summit flight with Talkeetna Aero. There are some videos posted on Youtube.com that look amazing. There are also videos of the glacier landing flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi, but it just looked a bit like a "bumpy" ride for us.

Just want to get up and close to Denali, it is so spectacular, just want the best experience...;)

Actually, if memory serves me right, we were going to do a summit flight AND a glacier landing add-on with Air Taxi, but weather did not permit the summit flight. The pilot mentioned that weather will decide it for you more often than not.

Actually, if memory serves me right, we were going to do a summit flight AND a glacier landing add-on with Air Taxi, but weather did not permit the summit flight. The pilot mentioned that weather will decide it for you more often than not.

No you were not going to do both unless you booked two flights, they require different aircraft.

Well, was leaning more toward the summit flight with Talkeetna Aero. There are some videos posted on Youtube.com that look amazing. There are also videos of the glacier landing flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi, but it just looked a bit like a "bumpy" ride for us.

Just want to get up and close to Denali, it is so spectacular, just want the best experience...;)

If McKinley is your priority then I only recommend the summit flights.

The glacier landings use De Haviland Beavers, which have a lot of carrying capacity can land in rugged places, but cannot reach higher altitudes. The summit flights use Pipers which can fly higher.

Although both our attempts were thwarted by weather, I highly recommend Talkeetna Air Taxi. On the first opportunity it was actually safe to fly but they recommended we not go because we would be disappointed. They really wanted us to have a quality experience. We rescheduled for 2 days later, and the weather was awful and their entire fleet was on the ground. They had already credited my card when I called to check in with them.

The other operators seem good too, but my firsthand experience is with TAT. By the way, get the flightseeing company's local office number when you make your reservation. You can call them before you turn off Parks Hwy onto the spur road. It will save you a 30 mile round-trip if your flight is scrubbed. There is a store and gas station at the turn-off and we got good cell coverage there.

Thanks for asking this Jennifer. The responses have been very informative. I have another operator to ask about. Hope you don't mind.

I am looking at Era Helicopters, since they also offer the glacier landing and are in the TourSaver book. Is anyone familiar with this operator? If so, what was your experience like?

Mahalo!

Jennifer or others with the book: do the 2-for-1 coupons limit you to certain flight times, which might be less popular? Or can you use them at any time they have space available?

For that matter, are there preferred times for the summit trips? For photography, the general rule for best light is early morning just after sunrise or late afternoon just before sunset -- but since we'll be there mid-June when sunrise is before 4 a.m. and sunset is after midnight, that's not possible! ;) Most convenient to us would be one of the mid-day times, since we'll be travelling from Anchorage to Denali (Healy) this day, although mid-day light is generally worst for photography. So when Talkeetna Aero offers flights at 9, 11, 1, 3, 5 and 7, is one time better than another, either for lighting or for weather odds? Or are they all essentially "mid-day" a week before the summer solstice, and is the weather random luck at any time?

Thanks!

-- Eric

Jennifer or others with the book: do the 2-for-1 coupons limit you to certain flight times, which might be less popular? Or can you use them at any time they have space available?

Yes, they are very limited on these excursions. Do not know if they are the least popular times, just know they list only specific times that you can book for.

Sorry, can not answer your other questions. But will be interested to hear what those who do know say.

Thanks for asking this Jennifer. The responses have been very informative. I have another operator to ask about. Hope you don't mind.

I am looking at Era Helicopters, since they also offer the glacier landing and are in the TourSaver book. Is anyone familiar with this operator? If so, what was your experience like?

Mahalo!

ERA is a long time, large, well established, Alaska flightseeing vendor.

Well, I haven't received my book yet (should come any day now), but from what I've been told...every vendor is different. You must read the coupon entirely for each.

Not sure if the times are less popular or not, but to still be able to do the excursion and save THAT much money...totally worth it to us. I'm sure with long daylight in June, the viewing will still be spectacular, no matter what time...at least I hope. We are going in June as well.

Lanaki - Helicopter idea sounds so fun too!

Lanaki - Helicopter idea sounds so fun too!

Jennifer - It does sound like fun. And the times listed for this excursion, and the location at Denail, make this one sound more convenient for our trip. They list two times available with coupon use, 12 noon & 2 pm. And they are at Denali National Park, not Talkeetna. So we don't have to rush to get to Talkeetna from Denali. Here is the link to the excursion:

http://www.flightseeingtours.com/content/e3/e15/e20/index_eng.html

Then we can take our time driving back to Anchorage and stop in Talkeetna and do some sightseeing on our own.

May have to book this one soon. If DH agrees that is something he wants to do.

A comment on Toursaver coupons and Talkeetna Air Taxi- the coupon was good for a 7pm flight which did not work at all with our schedule. But they were extending a 20% discount to any tour if you had a Toursaver book. We found several other operators who were offering discounts outside the exact terms of the coupons, so it pays to ask!

Thanks Kenish. I have heard that before but keep forgetting. We need to remember that. If there is something we want to do but the time is not listed in the book we need to ask. It does not hurt to ask, right? :)

We are doing a Princess land package. If our rail service gets to Talkeetna at 11:05 a.m., can we do a flightseeing tour before we go to the lodge? If so, will the air company take us to the lodge afterward? Do the air companies pick you up and take you back to the lodge if you can't schedule a flight for when you arrive?

We are doing a Princess land package. If our rail service gets to Talkeetna at 11:05 a.m., can we do a flightseeing tour before we go to the lodge? If so, will the air company take us to the lodge afterward? Do the air companies pick you up and take you back to the lodge if you can't schedule a flight for when you arrive?

You apparently do not know that the McKinley Lodge is 50 miles one way away from Talkeetna???? And no, none of the flight operators are going to transfer you there. You would have to take the Princess shuttle bus, and certainly, you would want to schedule this flight, for after you disembark the train, and not do the shuttle transfer more than once. Hopefully you do NOT also have the Natural History tour with your cruisetour???

When I asked this question in the Fall I got the same answer that Budget Queen has given. I don't know yet whether Princess will/would offer a plane/chopper tour from McKinley. Anybody know or how I can find out please? We are there mid June................

Didn't know the 50-mile part. We have the Tundra Wilderness tour. Can you schedule flights from the Denali lodge? We will be there 2 nights.

Yes, flightseeing is available from staying at the Denali Princess, anything independent would require you to have your own transportation. There is way more to consider seeing and doing at the Denali National Park area, so I would also look at how you are going to occupy your time at each location, and make the best use of it. In my opinion, the TWT is also short compared to what you can get. IF McKinley is viewable the place to be would be Wonder Lake.

When I asked this question in the Fall I got the same answer that Budget Queen has given. I don't know yet whether Princess will/would offer a plane/chopper tour from McKinley. Anybody know or how I can find out please? We are there mid June................

Yes, they do offer flightseeing. BUT why not just book this yourself?? If you want some savings, purchase a coupon book for 2 for 1 coupons and make the flightseeing choice yourself??

Yes, they do offer flightseeing. BUT why not just book this yourself?? If you want some savings, purchase a coupon book for 2 for 1 coupons and make the flightseeing choice yourself??

Thanks BQ. I'm starting the research in earnest now for June!! I'd love to do it independently but need to know 'free' time from Princess as we're on a 5 night landtour encompassing Copper River Lodge 2nights, Denali Lodge 2 nights (inc TWT) and Mc Kinley Lodge for one night.

Where, if I may ask for your extensive knowledge and experience, would you do a heli tour landing on a glacier -Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway (want to do the train journey there if possible)? Or would you wait for either Denali or McKinley?

In anticipation of your thoughts and suggestions please.................

Colin

Thanks BQ. I'm starting the research in earnest now for June!! I'd love to do it independently but need to know 'free' time from Princess as we're on a 5 night landtour encompassing Copper River Lodge 2nights, Denali Lodge 2 nights (inc TWT) and Mc Kinley Lodge for one night.

Where, if I may ask for your extensive knowledge and experience, would you do a heli tour landing on a glacier -Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway (want to do the train journey there if possible)? Or would you wait for either Denali or McKinley?

In anticipation of your thoughts and suggestions please.................

Colin

What else have you planned in Denali, Juneau, Skagway?? Any of those has glacier helicopter landings. Schedule where you have the most time.

what cruisetour are you on?? Can probably give you some timing guidelines.

For what it's worth, glacier landings at Denali use planes. Most helicopters don't have the high-altitude capability that is required. We found out on this board that the Denali glacier flights and the Juneau ones via helo are very different experiences. So we booked both and are glad we did....our Denali flight was weather-cancelled twice and we were glad we still got to go in Juneau. It was one of the highlights of our trip!

Archived