Please help with Independent Bear Watching in Icy Strait Point

Breezey

Need some recommendations for preferred private tour operators. Cruise excursion is an option but we do like going with independents.

Sorry for the stupid question but am a city girl.....what are the chances of seeing bears in May?

Thanks all

Actually we booked whale watching in Juneau so werent planning to do it twice. In hindsight sounds like we may have been better off doing it in ISP.

I am more curious as to whether we would actually see any bears in mid May. ???

I suggest you contact Teckk and inquire about your chances of bears??? On the inside passage, I will speculate it is going to be total chance if you do see any. ALWAYS have your binoculars with you at least 10 power, if tours aren't available to you.

I suggest you contact Teckk and inquire about your chances of bears??? On the inside passage, I will speculate it is going to be total chance if you do see any. ALWAYS have your binoculars with you at least 10 power, if tours aren't available to you.

Thanks Budget Queen

I did actually send them an email this morning with just that question. No need to waste time and money right?

And yes, most definitely have been researching binoculars.

These boards have been a wealth of information.

Actually we booked whale watching in Juneau so werent planning to do it twice. In hindsight sounds like we may have been better off doing it in ISP.

I have asked several tour operators that same question. I got the same answer from different operators.

Bottom line is that the tour operators don't guarantee anything, but they know where to look. The bears are out of hibernation and are around, but are harder to find. Early in the season, they are often seen along the shorelines looking for berries and other food. Later in the season, they are easy to find because they go where the salmon is running.

I have booked tours with an attitude of I will enjoy the scenery and time in the wilderness. If I see a bear, that's an extra bonus.

Good luck.

I have asked several tour operators that same question. I got the same answer from different operators.

Bottom line is that the tour operators don't guarantee anything, but they know where to look. The bears are out of hibernation and are around, but are harder to find. Early in the season, they are often seen along the shorelines looking for berries and other food. Later in the season, they are easy to find because they go where the salmon is running.

I have booked tours with an attitude of I will enjoy the scenery and time in the wilderness. If I see a bear, that's an extra bonus.

Good luck.

Great information and excellent attitude!! Of course I understand there are no guarantees and I would suspect Icy Strait point has lovely scenery. BUT...for about $250 for 2 I dont know. BUT.....your wilderness comment even without bears does offer some appeal. Mmm.

Is it possible to change your whale watching plans? I talked to Shawn with Glacier Winds in ISP. He said that he often sees bears on the shore while he is going out to look for whales. Mornings are the best time to spot them. If you can only afford one tour, I think whales in ISP is a good choice because you'll definitely see whales, and it is possible that you will get lucky and see bears too.

We were in Icy Strait 2 years ago either the end of July or first week of August --can't recall which. We took the Bear Watch tour that was listed with Princess and run by local townfolks. The early morning tour saw lots of bear. We saw recent bear scat -- still warm, in many places on the walk and we did see a young (probably 2 year old) bear feeding in the river quite close to where we were. We went in the middle of the day when most bear are fed and rested. There are many bears in the area and they are agressive. An armed guard goes with the group. The town had a fatality the year before. ( I believe they said it was the wife of a local and the husband had his gun but don't really remember the situation). It may have changed by now but when we were there we felt like we were in Alaska. We also did the tram tour in the morning.

Gruisin Oldies

Thanks Roofing Princess

We go in Mid May. I went on Trip Advisor too and a few people say not the time to see bears. When are you going?

May 30. So you'll be back before I go. Although I'll be heading for the Left Coast a week before, to do some sightseeing, so I probably won't be able to check back to see how you did.

I just booked the tour to see wildlife and scenery at a (relatively) reasonable price. If we happen to see bears, we see bears. If we don't, I won't be disappointed.

We toured with Keith of Teckk Outfitters the last week of July in 2007. If anyone can find a bear, I believe it would be Keith! We saw three the day we went with him. I believe in May you may be more apt to see one on a beach, but I'm sure Keith could answer your inquiry about this. We loved ISP and would like to return. The scenery is gorgeous.

Archived