Southern Caribbean

GMC

San Juan, because the further south you start, the further you can go, and some of the more interesting (IMHO) islands are southern ones. We are leaving this Sunday on the Zenith from JAX, but it's a 14 day cruise. That way we can get down to the "lower" islands that you can't get to in 7 days from FL.

I prefer San Juan: The islands are very interesting and are often ones where I could not afford to spend a week so visiting them even if it is only for a day is great. The weather is generally more reliable in the more southern islands. Cruises include more ports (some have only 1 sea day)

I've done many cruises, many from San Juan, Aruba and Florida. Frankly the one time we went from Miami we got caught in a gulf storm that rocked us for hours. I'll take San Juan any day due to warmer weather, calmer seas, and all the other reasons mentioned.

I don't think it is so much Florida or San Juan per se. While I personnaly prefer the western carribbean islands and the carribean waters that carry the guld stream mreo than the southern or eastern islands/waters Ft Lauderdale/Miami is the departure port for that. For the southern and most of the lower eastern islands it is SJ for time and distance.

Archived