Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2009 - all dates, all lines

odblnt

• 2 weeks later...

We are talking about doing a Christmas market cruise this year - but want to cruise "above" Nuremberg (we did the Danube Budapest to Nuremberg last year - so don't want to duplicate just yet...)

We are interested in the Rhine and Main with Uniworld (between Nuremberg & Cologne) - but the cruise on the Rhine (Basel to Cologne) also looks interesting. AMA has a Rhine Winter cruise - and it looks as if it hits the same stops as the Uniworld tour.

For those of you who have cruised either of these itineraries, do you have any "favourite" stops? Why are they your favourites?

Is the boat moored within walking distance of the downtown in most towns?? Or, are you dependent on outside transportation if you want to stay a bit longer at the Markets???

It seems a bit odd to be thinking about Christmas 2010 so early in the year, but I know these cruises sell out quickly.

Thank you to everyone - in advance - for your comments.

Fran

Hi Fran

We did the Uniworld Basel - Cologne. We really loved it. Basel was super and we wished we had spent more time in Switzerland before the trip. Such a lovely city. You dock near a tram stop, and it is very easy to catch the tram in and out of town, so you are able to be quiet independent - Uniworld gave us free day passes for the tram - but I have read that if you are staying in Basel the hotels also give you a free pass. Basel has lovely walking tours, you can pick up a brochure at a hotel or tourist office and they are quiet easy to follow as there are little sign posts on the street corners, which show the different route directions. We much prefered exploring on our own as you can read up from the brochure and go at your pace - also doing it this way you are able to see so much more.

Strasbourg docking was quiet a way out of town. But Uniworld offered courtesy bus shuttles in the afternoon to go back and forwards into town if you wished. In the morning there was a city tour, and canal cruise - really lovely.

And then the last long distance travelling from the docking area was when we did the trip to Heidelburg - which was well worth the trip inland.

But apart from that all the other stop are right in the towns. I can't give you a favourite stop as I loved them all.

We found the towns far more decorated than the stops on the Danube trip. (We did Uniworld Regensburg - Budapest)

Fran, it really is a wonderful trip. Let us know what you decide and if you want any more info you can contact me (alphamac@dbnmail.co.za)

Jean

H Jean - thank you for your prompt response... this is exactly the type of information I am looking for.

I think I am going start another thread - and repost, as I am not sure if people will look here since I tacked this comment on to a roll call.

Fran

Archived