Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2009 - all dates, all lines

odblnt

Worldwide,

The Christmas markets won't be open til after Nov. 26. The are a celebration of the Advent season and are open the 4 weeks of Advent and close on 23 Dec. I think the one on Vienna is open til the new year. Enjoy--it is a great time to cruise. Pat

Since our River Odyssey cruise sails on 11/24, DH has spent some time on the German cities websites (www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk) to determine the dates of the Christmas Markets. Here's what he found for opening dates for us:

Cologne 11/23

Rudesheim 11/23

Mainz 11/26

Heidelberg 11/25

Frankfurt 11/25

and there are more published there, as well. It's a very good website...

Hope everyone is getting a flu shot too and taking extra precautions against the H1N1.

A regular visit to my Doctor saw him insisting we get the Swine Flu vaccination because apparently it has been rampant in the UK and we are flying in to their winter!!

Since our River Odyssey cruise sails on 11/24, DH has spent some time on the German cities websites (www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk) to determine the dates of the Christmas Markets. Here's what he found for opening dates for us:

Cologne 11/23

Rudesheim 11/23

Mainz 11/26

Heidelberg 11/25

Frankfurt 11/25

and there are more published there, as well. It's a very good website...

We are visiting Passau, Regensburg and Nuremberg in Germany so was very pleased to see this information. And EVEN BETTER, they guarantee snow in Passau - my daughter (15) is going to be rapt as she has never touched it!!! I'll be keeping that gem of information to myself, but also hoping to see snow in Vienna on our pre-cruise stay :cool:

Only 13 days until we leave Brisbane for KL and then the UK prior to our Dec 13th Vienna to Nuremberg cruise on Viking.

For all you guys that have been before, your enthusiasm is infectious and am sure this will be one trip to remember.

Cheers,

Moira :)

cp556,

We were on the Vantage cruise last year--Nurnberg-Cologne. If you can possibly get Annalisse as your program director, do so. She was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip--lots of glugwein and sausages. Am jealous. Pat

Thanks, Pat.

A question for you about Vantage specifically: I'm used to ocean cruises. I'm diabetic and try to watch my carbs carefully (note the word "try" ... lol.) I should not really eat the Christmas baked goodies to be found in Germany or drink the glugwein (alcohol conflicts with my meds).

You mentioned sausages. THOSE I can eat. Are they easily available? Does Vantage offer bottled water onboard? Will I be able to pick out non-carby foods from the Vantage offerings?

Would appreciate your first-hand advice, and thanks.

A regular visit to my Doctor saw him insisting we get the Swine Flu vaccination because apparently it has been rampant in the UK and we are flying in to their winter!!

:)

Today DH & I got our H1N1 vaccinations. We live in South Carolina and we really had to search for them, but we succeeded! I figured spending 10 hours on a plane to/from Germany, we should have all the protection we can get ...

Hi,

The sausages are at all the markets--each one a bit different. Breakfast and lunch are buffet so you should be fine. The maitre'd on our cruise was very good--a young woman. You should be able to pick from the evening menu according to your dietary needs. Just talk to her when you check in and also send Vantage an e-mail. We brought dried glugwein mix home to give as gifts--just opened the last one today. It is also good in apple juice. We travelled with friends and he is diabetic and she is allergic to mushrooms. They dining room staff was very aware of their needs. We want to take another Christmas market cruise--maybe in 2 years.

One other note--no one entered the dining room without sanitizing their hands. There always seems to be a bug of some sort going around. The maitre'd was like a guard at the gate. No hand cleaning, no entrance.

Pat

Today DH & I got our H1N1 vaccinations. We live in South Carolina and we really had to search for them, but we succeeded! I figured spending 10 hours on a plane to/from Germany, we should have all the protection we can get ...

Lucky you! Here in northern VA, what little H1N1 vaccine that's available is tightly restricted to children only. We're told the rest of us may have vaccine available by February/March. That's not going to help us any on our flight to Paris in three weeks.

We are getting quite excited about our upcoming Christmas Market cruise!

Since we live in Europe very near Germany, we aren't strangers to the Christmas Markets. We visit 1-2 per year. This will be our first river cruise though. We chose the Avalon Affinity because of the markets they visit. They are all markets we have not visited yet! I do hope we chose well with cruise providers, since everyone seems to be going on AMA.

To date we have been to Weihnachtsmarkts in Oberhausen, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Dresden, Hannover, Vienna, Salzburg and a few other little towns surrounding the named cities. You HAVE to try to Gluhwein at every market. They vary quite a bit between cities. My daughter and I now collect the mugs they are served in (another must). Another item the markts have that make great gifts are the Smokers.

006-22-100-747.jpg

They are actually incense burners and many people collect these rather than the nutcrackers. It's a great gift for a former smoker or even a current smoker.

I am thinking that warm and layered cc casual is the clothing option for these cruises. Is there entertainment on the ships/riverboats in the evening? I really am not sure what to expect!

Looking forward to hearing more info about everyone's upcoming Christmas markt cruise!

Hi CathandRich,

We are also doing a Christmas Market Cruise from Prague to Budapest on AMA on December 4th. With the Pre cruise in Prague. We are with another couple and we are so looking forward to this cruise. Love the Christmas Markets and bought the smokers for some of the family last year and plan on picking up some more this year. They are just so cute. Also, I am looking for the authentic nut crackers for my grandchildren for this year.

I also noticed you were on the Celebrity Mille from Venice to Barcelona in 2003. We did the exact same cruise in 2006. We added two weeks prior to the trip and flew to Munich, where we picked up a brand new car... drove it down to the Bavaria area for one week and then turned it in and had it shipped home. The car dealership here in our town, told us all about the international delivery program... they fly you to Europe, 2 for 1 and you drive your car around for up to one month and then you drive it back. Great program and we then did the Med Cruise. Still our best trip ever. Although I am really getting fond of Christmas Market River Cruises. I have been on Viking, now AMA and next year will try Uniworld and then Avalon. Hope you have a great time. I copied your pic of the little smoker...so cute. Thanks.

Have fun planning this trip. I love that part.

atime2travel.jurni.net

Hi All,

We leave for our trip in 11 days! WHOO HOO!!

Can't wait, hope you are all packing earmuffs and gloves... It will be cold.

We bought some little packets at the sports store called "toe warmers" They are similiar to the first aid things that make little pouches hot, for injuries or cold for ice.... they will last 6 hours. So perfect for the warming of toes in my boots without the crunching of the toes from "too many pairs of socks", which actually happened to me last year. Hope they work well.

if you want to see some of my picutres from last years market go to webshots.com/user/catkoe1 and you will see tons...

Hi CathandRich, We, too, are on the Avalon Affinity. A top notch company. I don't think you will be disappointed. Which trip are you on? We are on the Vienna to Prague 12/11 to 12/19.

We have both our flu shots and the H1N1 shots. We volunteer for a hospital, so it was available to us. We are fortunate, I hope.

YAY - got my documents from Uniworld the other day so I am really doing it - leaving for Nurenberg the night of Dec 17, boarding the River Duchess on Dec 18.

I will be on the boat until December 27 - I know the markets last day is Dec 23. Anything special that will happen Christmase eve or Christmas day?

The cruise ends in Cologne and I am taking the train to Frankfurt to get my flight home. Has anyone done this? From what i gather reading the Lufthansa web site, I can check in for both the train and the flight at the train station (or if I go on line the day before), but I have to take my luggage to the airport and check it there.

I do want to enjoy the markets and I have a food allergy (tree nuts) so I need to be careful about what I eat and drink at the food stalls. I normally stay away from baked goods and candy because those often have nuts. Are there any other German holiday food or drink at the markets that MAY have nuts in it? I am not super allergic, so being around roasted nuts, etc is not a problem, I just can't eat them.

I am going solo, Uniworld waived the single supplement on some of their cruises and I am SO looking forward to this.

Thanks for all the great advice, I am from Massachusetts so have plenty of cold-weather gear.

My first river cruise!

Just got the call that Vantage is substituting RIVER NAVIGATOR for the 11/23 Christmas Markets cruise. The scheduled boat, RIVER ODYSSEY, was struck by a barge and damaged. No one was injured, fortunately.

The first night will be in a hotel in Cologne instead of on the vessel, and the rest of the voyage will be the same as planned.

Most people are being accommodated in the same type of cabin they'd booked, with a couple of suites needing to be downgraded (with appropriate compensation).

I have no idea about any future voyage changes.

Vantage is doing a GREAT job of notifying guests. I anticipate the same level of service throughout the trip...wish us luck!

Hi Verna,

My partner and I will also be on the 17th December sailing of Uniworld's Rhine and Main Christmas Markets. Our travel agent advised that we would be cruising all day on Christmas day, with some special entertaining and lots of food. We're looking forward to just relaxing with Uniworld - we've never been disappointed with them in the past. We'll see you there in a couple of weeks!

Becki (Gypsy56)

Hi Becki - thanks! Look forward to meeting you in a few weeks -

I have had an incredilby stressful fall, and I am looking forward to getting away and relaxing as well. I normally only see my brother and his kids on Christmas, now that he is divorced that is getting weird and stressful.

Verna

YAY - got my documents from Uniworld the other day so I am really doing it - leaving for Nurenberg the night of Dec 17, boarding the River Duchess on Dec 18.

I will be on the boat until December 27 - I know the markets last day is Dec 23. Anything special that will happen Christmase eve or Christmas day?

My first river cruise!

Steamboats & Blu Donau might want to chime in, but from what I remember and have been reading, the whole country of Germany closes down the afternoon of the 24th and doesn't really open back up until the 26th or 27th.

Good luck on your first river cruise. If you are like us, you'll keep going back and forth between ocean and river cruises until you figure out which one you prefer. ;)

Hi All,

We leave for our trip in 11 days! WHOO HOO!!

Can't wait, hope you are all packing earmuffs and gloves... It will be cold.

We bought some little packets at the sports store called "toe warmers" They are similiar to the first aid things that make little pouches hot, for injuries or cold for ice.... they will last 6 hours. So perfect for the warming of toes in my boots without the crunching of the toes from "too many pairs of socks", which actually happened to me last year. Hope they work well.

if you want to see some of my picutres from last years market go to webshots.com/user/catkoe1 and you will see tons...

Without looking all the way back through your previous posts (hey, I'm lazy and I admit it), are you doing the Prague prelude or meeting the boat in Nuremberg?

Either way, see you in a couple of weeks.

Pete & Anne

Hi Pete and Anne,

We are doing the pre cruise in Prague. We arrive in Prague on the 3rd. Then do the pre cruise then take the long, very long bus ride to Nuremberg... UGH

OH well, beats driving. How about you two? Pre-cruise also?

We are traveling with another couple, Lee and Janet Clarke. Very long time friends of ours. When will you get to Prague, if doing pre-cruise?

See you then. Can't wait.

Depending on what boat you all are on--we are on the Avalon Affinity--we are doing the Vienna to Prague sailing on 12/10 and disembarking in Nuremburg on 12/18 and staying in Prague overnight. Home on the 19th

If you are on the Affinity--take good care of the boat for us. :p Whatever boat, have a fab trip and a very Merry Christmas.

Hi Pete and Anne,

We are doing the pre cruise in Prague. We arrive in Prague on the 3rd. Then do the pre cruise then take the long, very long bus ride to Nuremberg... UGH

OH well, beats driving. How about you two? Pre-cruise also?

We are traveling with another couple, Lee and Janet Clarke. Very long time friends of ours. When will you get to Prague, if doing pre-cruise?

See you then. Can't wait.

We are doing the Prague addition also. We're taking our time getting there, though. We are flying in to Munich on the 3rd then taking the train the next day to Dresden to check out their Christmas Market and spending the night.

We'll take the train to Prague on Saturday, getting in about 1:15.

See you then.

Pete & Anne

Just wanted to wish those of you that will be leaving for the Christmas Markets trips to have a good time! I know there are a few of you leaving in just a few days since I left the day after Thanksgiving last year. It's going to be a magical trip and I will look forward to hearing about it when you return! Safe travels!

Steamboats & Blu Donau might want to chime in, but from what I remember and have been reading, the whole country of Germany closes down the afternoon of the 24th and doesn't really open back up until the 26th or 27th.

Good luck on your first river cruise. If you are like us, you'll keep going back and forth between ocean and river cruises until you figure out which one you prefer. ;)

Most businesses (shops) close at 2:00 pm (Passau at least) as Christmas Eve is our main Christmas event with tha family.

Up and til several years ago, nothing was open (except the cathredral and chruches), but these days bars and restaurants are open (there are more single people these days.

25th. & 26th. are public holidays.

Ron

Thanks AZPam,

Your input has been wonderful and I'm sure we will have a great time what ever the weather ;)

I'll try and post straight after the cruise when I'm back in the UK with my family, but by then it will be a few days until Christmas. Will check in every now and again to catch up on any tips and will post my own as well.

Have a great cruise everyone - if you see me with my teenage daughter on the Viking Pride (or hear our Aussie accents) give us a wave!!

We're flying out late on Monday 30th Nov Brisbane time - cruise starts Sunday 13th Dec from Vienna. Looking forward to it immensely :D

Cheers,

Moira :)

Archived