Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2009 - all dates, all lines

odblnt

That's more like it! Glad to hear there are a few of you that are excited at least! The Christmas Market trips are just so special. I am totally going thru withdrawals this year. :(

Moira, you really have a challenge with the distance, so my hat is off to you! I've done this trip with my Mom twice and now my daughter is making noises about being able to go the next time. Since she will finally have her BSN and can hopefully pay for herself, her wish just might come true!

Hi AZPam

We did a Uniworld December 2007 Basel to Cologne Christmas cruise and in Dec 2008 did Regensburg to Budapest. Mom and I loved it so much that she is going back Dec 2009 to do Budapest to Passau with dad. I am so envious, but still having so much fun helping with planning. I would love to do the Paris Christmas cruise but will have to wait until next year. To all the others out there going on your Christmas cruises - have the best time and I know you will love every minute of them.....they are really very special trips.

And Moira we were like you, left Durban in flip flops and t-shirts. Quiet a shock to our system to get off the plane in Europe - I actually found it far colder than the UK winter. But we were fine with layers and a ski-jacket PLUS are lined boots - which we could not have done without. On the first Rhine cruise mom did not buy a pair of lined boots as they were "the wrong colour" - well her poor feet froze. So, we went straight to the boot shop for the next trip. It is so much fun for us to dress up. Have a wonderful trip

Greetings from sunny south Florida where the temp is still 96 degrees! We are looking forward to colder weather on the cruise - the last one we took (with Vantage), it snowed every single day and the crew built snowmen on the top deck. Let me tell you about one magical moment - Christmas Eve - we walked to a church (can't remember which German town), it was snowing, all the Christmas lights were lit - a very moving service (even though we only understood a little of what was said) - came out of the church at midnight, still snowing, lights glowing, slow walk back to the ship - it was just so magical - like being in a fairy tale or a movie. I am so looking forward to eating Nurnburg sausages again - how to explain to people that the sausages "taste like a Christmas tree smells" - wish I could bring some home!

Finally looked up our ship - could never remember which one we were on - we are on GCT River Rhapsody - Basel to Amsterdam. Any one else going to be on the ship with us?

Looking at my clothes now - will need to layer and thankfully when we moved to FL, we kept some winter clothes. I am looking for some warm winter boots right now - I have boots but they are more 'fashion' boots than made for cold weather. Don't want to pay a fortune for them as they will get so little use - anyone have any ideas on where to look for them? We are taking a road trip leaving next week and going to New England, so I am hoping that perhaps I can find some up there. With having to pay for bags, we will stick with the one alloted suitcase each (and a carry on) - we will just be repeating our clothing as we go along.

Hope someone else comes along that will be joining us on this trip!

Cindie

Finally looked up our ship - could never remember which one we were on - we are on GCT River Rhapsody - Basel to Amsterdam. Any one else going to be on the ship with us?

Cindie

Hi Cindie,

I have done the exact trip with GCT twice, on the Ravel and last year on the Harmony. It is such a great trip! Are you doing the pre tripin Basel? If you are, let me recommend on the first full day in Basel that you take the train over to Lucerne if you have never been there. It's super easy and about 60Euros for a 2nd class ticket. The train station is a short walk from the hotel in Basel and it dumps your right in the middle of town in Lucerne. The optional trip to Bern is pretty interesting too.

I really didn't need any boots for either trip. Last year was much colder and more rainy, but there was only about 2 days that were super cold, at least for me. Living in the Phoenix area, we aren't used to winter temps either! If you really think you need a pair, shoe prices once you get to Germany are pretty reasonable and it might be easier to find them there than in Florida.

I would really like to do the Danube Christmas trip next year if I could somehow swing it financially. Have to save my pennies!

Hi all,

We are breaking our trip with two days in Kuala Lumpur first - which will be even warmer, wetter and more humid than Brisbane will be. But we will wear the singlets which go under our winter wear and board (surf) shorts which we'll use for swimming (indoors!!) in the UK.

I read somewhere recently not to pack ANYTHING you won't wear a minimum of THREE times. I think that's very good advice and have already informed my daughter that is what we will be doing.

The luggage is certainly a challenge since on our last trip to the UK three years ago we were allowed up to 32kgs each. Shoes in particular will be minimised.

Cheers,

Moira :)

PS. As of today I can say we are off on holidays NEXT MONTH (Nov 30th). Very good cause for the excitement to be building :D

Hi all,

I read somewhere recently not to pack ANYTHING you won't wear a minimum of THREE times. I think that's very good advice and have already informed my daughter that is what we will be doing.

What I did was take a fresh blouse for every day, but wore my pants at least 3 times. It's easier since you aren't sweating thru everything since it's so cold. I also take a couple of really nice, velour type warm up suits. So comfy for traveling or sail days. I switched shoes every day so that my feet wouldn't get so tired and that helped me personally.

Moria, forgive me as my geography is terrible, but I just want to say that I hope these earthquakes haven't been felt by you too. So sad what has happened the last few days with the tsunami and now multiple earthquakes. My heart just goes out to those people

Hi Cindie:

I'm not taking your trip until next year but I was already thinking about finding warm boots! Living in NC I don't have any.

Check out this website www.endless.com I was on it the other day and they had hundreds of boots. The best part is you can sort by the style you want and the type i.e winter/waterproof etc. I have ordered from this company before and they are very good. Free shipping and free shipping back if they don't fit.

Good luck & stay warm!

I also live in Florida so most of my boots are fashion boots. Last year I bought a pair of Uggs for my trip to Germany and Austria as the other trips I have taken there in winter were pretty cold for this Florida gal. And cold feet are just not fun.

I wore my Uggs all day and we walked miles and miles. My feet never got cold and I did not wear socks yet my feet were always warm and cozy. I did put a pair of arch supports in them as I knew my feet would be happier with walking 10-12 miles a day on old streets.

They are going back to Germany with me this winter as well.

I never cared for the look of the slouchy Uggs so shopped for a more appealing pair and found them on Zappos.

Thanks for the boot info - last time we did this, it snowed literally every single day of the cruise and was (to us) freezing! I had good 'snow' boots - old, but did the trick. But since they were so old and seldom worn (since I have lived in FL the past 9 years), they just kind of rotted and fell apart. We were in Australia in Feb. and I kept looking at Ugg boots and DH kept telling me to buy a pair, but I just kept thinking 'where in the world would I wear them?" So, I didn't get them and then of course we booked this river cruise in December! I have been looking online for some - so hard to know 'online' if they are comfortable and how they will fit with heavy (or 2 pair) of socks.

We are going on a 3 week road trip starting this week and will be up north in New England, etc, so I am hoping I can find a pair up there. And, I don't want to pay $200 for a pair because I just don't wear them enough. So, fingers crossed that I find some in the next few weeks. We already have the silk longjohns, gloves, coats, hats, etc - just need some new boots. Nothing worse than having cold, wet feet and trying to walk around all day! And I am not about to stay on the ship and miss anything because of cold feet! I figure the last pair of good snow boots I bought lasted me 20 years + - and since I am in my later 50's, this should be the last pair I ever buy!

This time we are doing some Christmas Markets in France and Switzerland so that will be different from last time. We are also taking a day trip to Lucerne as suggested - had already planned it as DH sang on Mt. Pilitus (sp?) way back in the day - when he was in a college choir - and this was the one request he made - that we at least spend a day there. So we are doing the 3 day pre-cruise in Basel and will go to Lucerne.

Got our plane tickets the other day - was surprised to get them so early from GCT! But, one big mistake - for 3 months now, I have called them every single month and told them I am NOT a "MR" - I am a "MRS" - each month it is 'fixed' and a correction will be send. NOT! Again, I am a 'Mr' and now with all the rules, according to the TSA, that is enough to be denied boarding. So, called once again (GCT - are you listening?) and they say it is fixed and a new ticket will be sent to me in 4-5 days - we will see!

Only a couple more months and we are on our way - whoo hoo!!

Cindie

Cindie, I was also very reluctant to pay 200 for boots but in retrospect it was worth it for the comfort. If my feet are not happy, I am not happy.:)

You can always find a style you like in the stores that works for you and then go hunting on ebay.

BTW, they tell you not to wear socks with Uggs and they are right. My BFF was traveling with us, bought Uggs and wore them with socks one time - she never wore them with socks again. I do not know how they work, and my feet are cold all the time, but no matter the temps (and we were in snow many days) my feet were toasty.

My husband waterproofed mine before we left the US.

Hi All,

I went online and bought Trotters Blast Too Boot for only $64.95. True to size, lined and the greatest!!! I have worn them on my CHRISTMAS MARKET CRUISE last Christmas... My Alaskan Cruise and Cruisetour and now again this Christmas Market Cruise on the AMA AMALYRA DECEMBER 4, 2009 Prague to Budapest. Also, they doubled as "Cyndi Lauper" 80's costume lately!!

I danced all night in them! Hope you can find what you need.

Good Luck

Here is a pic of them

base_media.jpeg.24f35de1c48e263e96787312fad01243.jpeg

DH & I just booked Vantage's River Odyssesy for the 11-nt Christmas Markets cruise from Cologne to Nuremberg, departing US Nov 23.

They sent us an email with prices we just couldn't refuse ... much lower than the same cruise we tried for last year but had to cancel due to a medical situation.

Our neighbors/friends are also going with us, and we're really excited! Can't wait to feel the cold crisp air and visit the Christmas Markets!

Anyone else on this sailing?

I will be on the GCT Christmas Markets Cruise in December and since I live in So. California have never bought snow boots in my life! I got an email from a site called shoebuy.com advertising that they are having a boot sale....$15.00 off any boot purchased. After reading all of the reviews, I settled on the Toe Warmers "Michelle" model for about $69.00. Hope they work out.

ttgro123842_65015_fs.jpg

Toe Warmers Michelle - Black (Women's)

What I did was take a fresh blouse for every day, but wore my pants at least 3 times. It's easier since you aren't sweating thru everything since it's so cold. I also take a couple of really nice, velour type warm up suits. So comfy for traveling or sail days. I switched shoes every day so that my feet wouldn't get so tired and that helped me personally.

Yes - that's what we tend to do - new top for every day. Re-wear the pants and warm jackets etc. I am trying to get through to my daughter that for our whole six week trip I don't want her taking a dress she will only wear once!

Moira, forgive me as my geography is terrible, but I just want to say that I hope these earthquakes haven't been felt by you too. So sad what has happened the last few days with the tsunami and now multiple earthquakes. My heart just goes out to those people

We have been monitoring the earthquakes and tsunamis also. I know people who are presently on P&O and Princess sailing in that area. We are a bit further south than where our coastal tsunami warnings have been issued. Very sad for all those people and the beautiful places which have been destroyed.

WE aren't traveling until 2010 but since we live in Arizona I am looking at what clothes I would need to bring for such a cold weather cruise. I appreciate the boot recommendations. Any other suggestions for someone who doesn't live in cold weather. Do you bring dress shoes for evening too? I have found on previous cruises and trips-shoes take up the most space. But I also think that the warm jackets/sweaters will take up space too.

WE aren't traveling until 2010 but since we live in Arizona I am looking at what clothes I would need to bring for such a cold weather cruise. I appreciate the boot recommendations. Any other suggestions for someone who doesn't live in cold weather. Do you bring dress shoes for evening too? I have found on previous cruises and trips-shoes take up the most space. But I also think that the warm jackets/sweaters will take up space too.

From one desert rat to another, it really won't be as cold as you think. Just think layers and plan to wear at least your pants a few times. Warm hat, scarf and gloves are a must of course. Most of the river cruises are pretty low key and don't get very dressy. I personally skipped the dress shoes and just had a nicer pair for the two more dressy nights on board.

Also, come check out our Arizona Cruisers thread in the Cruise Rituals section. We are a pretty chatty group!

Hello All,

Well the number is 44.... 44 days until we are in Prague waiting to go on our wonderful Christmas Market Trip on the Danube.

Who else is going? Who else is going to be buying Christmas Ornaments and presents for their families back home? I did this last year and this year they want the same... Oh boy, I just have to go again, don't I?

Hope you are all at least starting to think about warmer clothes. I am from sunny So. California and it is quite difficult to be laying out all of the winter (warm) clothes in 90 degree weather. But gotta do it. I actually had bought all of this stuff last year when I did the same itinerary, so it is still fresh in my mind as to what I need to take.

Don't forget your wine opener for your room. Oh we packed a cheese "scraper" as we bought some awesome cheese and crackers for snacks to go with those delicious wines. Oh and cover those ears.... they get mighty cold.

Hope everyone is getting as excited as I am...

Let's hear what you want to buy while on this cruise???

I've booked a Christmas Market Danube River Cruise leaving Vienna on the 13th of December, ending in Regensburg, Germany on the 17th. I'm looking for others that may be going on this cruise. This is my first river cruise, so I'm really looking foward to it.

Our flight leaves 5 weeks from today. We head first to Berlin for 4 nights and then train to Frankfurt to meet our Avalon ship.

This is my fifth Christmas market visit to Germany, my husband's second and our first river cruise. We are quite excited!:)

We will end with a couple of days in Munich before coming home.

We live in FL and the winter clothes are laid out and being checked for working zippers, loose buttons, etc. Hat, gloves and down coat are ready for duty and the Uggs are raring to go on their second visit to the markets as they were a huge success last year.

We don't go to shop, but rather to take it all in. It is simply a fabulous time to be in Germany and Austria.

Hello All,

Well the number is 44.... 44 days until we are in Prague waiting to go on our wonderful Christmas Market Trip on the Danube.

Who else is going? Who else is going to be buying Christmas Ornaments and presents for their families back home? I did this last year and this year they want the same... Oh boy, I just have to go again, don't I?

Hope you are all at least starting to think about warmer clothes. I am from sunny So. California and it is quite difficult to be laying out all of the winter (warm) clothes in 90 degree weather. But gotta do it. I actually had bought all of this stuff last year when I did the same itinerary, so it is still fresh in my mind as to what I need to take.

Don't forget your wine opener for your room. Oh we packed a cheese "scraper" as we bought some awesome cheese and crackers for snacks to go with those delicious wines. Oh and cover those ears.... they get mighty cold.

Hope everyone is getting as excited as I am...

Let's hear what you want to buy while on this cruise???

We are going with Uniworld on December 7th. Does everyone need a wine opener? Thanks for the tip.

We are on the Uniworld River Countess sailing right before yours (Dec2). From Vienna to Nuremberg. We are really looking forward to it. So far haven't found any one else on the boards on our sailing. Maybe someone out there who is on it will post!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Today it is ONE MONTH until I leave Brisbane and just over six weeks until our Viking cruise - Vienna to Nuremberg - on December 13th.

It's getting closer now! My daughter and I have been out shopping in the winter sales for appropriate clothing and new underwear (lol).

My packing list is updated and it's time to print it out and start crossing things off.

will be back to watch the videos on those posted links (Thanks very much).

Cheers,

Moira :)

Archived