Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2009 - all dates, all lines

odblnt

We are doing the same GCT cruise but earlier, Nov. 21.[/quote

Not sure where you are starting, but at least in Munich - most Christmas markets do not start til Nov 26 or 27. Just so you are not disappointed if you do not experience them the first few days.

We are still looking for anyone going on our cruise - doing the Christmas Market cruise with GCT from Basel to Amsterdam - departing the US on Dec. 3rd but we are doing the 3 day pre-cruise in Basel as DH wants to go back to Lucerne for a day. Are we going to be the only ones on the ship?!!!

We did the Christmas/New Year's cruise with Vantage a couple of years ago and it was absolutely magical! Best cruise we have ever taken! (We do a lot of ocean cruises) We always said we would do it again and GCT had better pricing this year. We, too, will be bundled up as we live in sunny south Florida.

Anyone else joining us?

Cindie

Hi All,

I just booked GCT's Christmas Markets on the Rhine cruise :). It leaves Basel on Dec, 11th, and I am really excited. All of my cruises thus far have been on the ocean, on B-I-G ships, I am really looking forward to being on a smaller ship! With GCTs 'no single suppliment' sale I could actually afford to go by myself. Is anyone else going on this cruise? Would love to hear from you

Hi everyone,

Did my first river cruise last month with Uniworld on the River Baroness Paris & Normandy has a wonderful time and now am ready to do a Christmas markets cruise. This is the itinerary I have wanted to do since I heard about it 5 years ago. Haven't booked yet, trying to decide ship, price (big factor) and best itinerary. I have narrowed it down a couple times but since I need the first or 2nd week in Dec. I find many of the cruise dates for that time are already sold out!!!!!! Any info/ suggestions you past christmas markets veterans can provide on the various itineraries out there for a first timer to Europe in winter who has not done this area before is greatly appreciated.

Anyways, looking at high prices from LAX to Europe & in order to get to some of the places like Nueremberg, Cologne, etc the air is even higher so we are thinking of flying into a major city and taking the train as some of you have mentions on this thread. We took the train last spring in Copenhagen from the airport to the Central Train station and it wasn't very easy getting you & your luggage on board in the short amt. of time provided + there was no where to store it while on the train. My questions is about taking the train from major airports or towns (like Frankfurt, Prague, Munich, Amsterdam, etc ) to ports.

ODBLNT, you seem to be very knowledgeable on that . Do you find certain stations better to use? What about your luggage? Do you buy a Eurail pass or buy your ticket at each point? Do you make advance reservations?

In some of the cities has anyone any suggestions on good, clean hotels close by the stations or ports or do you ususally take taxis once you get off the train?

Missbsmom

Hi everyone,

Did my first river cruise last month with Uniworld on the River Baroness Paris & Normandy has a wonderful time and now am ready to do a Christmas markets cruise. This is the itinerary I have wanted to do since I heard about it 5 years ago. Haven't booked yet, trying to decide ship, price (big factor) and best itinerary. I have narrowed it down a couple times but since I need the first or 2nd week in Dec. I find many of the cruise dates for that time are already sold out!!!!!! Any info/ suggestions you past christmas markets veterans can provide on the various itineraries out there for a first timer to Europe in winter who has not done this area before is greatly appreciated.

Anyways, looking at high prices from LAX to Europe & in order to get to some of the places like Nueremberg, Cologne, etc the air is even higher so we are thinking of flying into a major city and taking the train as some of you have mentions on this thread. We took the train last spring in Copenhagen from the airport to the Central Train station and it wasn't very easy getting you & your luggage on board in the short amt. of time provided + there was no where to store it while on the train. My questions is about taking the train from major airports or towns (like Frankfurt, Prague, Munich, Amsterdam, etc ) to ports.

ODBLNT, you seem to be very knowledgeable on that . Do you find certain stations better to use? What about your luggage? Do you buy a Eurail pass or buy your ticket at each point? Do you make advance reservations?

In some of the cities has anyone any suggestions on good, clean hotels close by the stations or ports or do you ususally take taxis once you get off the train?

Missbsmom

I noticed that AMA Waterways has a sale going on right now (Aug 6 - 13) to fly free from NY. It's only good on their cruises departing the US on Nov 20, Dec 6 & 11). If you can get the right cruise with air from NY, maybe you can pay the difference or do a separate ticket to JFK.

I know what you mean about the trains in Europe. Last year for our tulip cruise, we flew in to Frankfurt and took the train across to Amsterdam. After the cruise we trained back to Germany and then went to Heidelberg, Stuttgart, & Munich before flying back out of Frankfurt. We used a 10 day rail pass for Germany & Benelux because of how much traveling we were doing. This year we're flying in to Munich and taking a train to Dresden for the night and then on to Prague. After the cruise, we'll be taking the train from Budapest through Munich to Garmisch. During our week in Garmisch, we'll take train or bus to visit the surrounding area. It looks like regular tickets will work best for us. I've got the calendar marked at the 90 point when you can purchase tickets on the German rail and hopefully get a good discount. They do sell out early.

As for the luggage, we each had a regular (28") suitcase and a small carry-on bag. Fortunately, I was able to lift the big ones up overhead to the luggage racks. We did have to plan ahead and figure out exactly which car we were going to be boarding. Fortunately, DW and I had been in Germany years ago and knew how to read the signs.

As for hotels, we did both. For those hotels that weren't right across from the train station, we took a taxi. In addition to having the printout of the reservation (showing the address), I did a mapquest map to show exactly where it was (proved very helpful in Heidelberg).

I hope all this helps.

Thanks for the info ODBLNT,

We just returned from a party. Some of the people there just returned from Europe and suggested I check air fares from East Jet and Ryanair. They said they couldn't take the train for what these airlines are charging. So I am going to check it out. I will contact AMA about that air promo on Monday, thanks for the info. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Uniworld opens there early Dec. Christmas to some good promo. They offer some benefits for return cruises, like $100.oo shipboard credit, and a possilbe cat. upgrade if available at time of sailing.

Missbsmom

The cheap fast train tickets usually do sell out in advance, but if you are traveling within the same state, you can do the 'Laender' tickets last minute. These are usually around 30 EUR for up to 5 people and are good within certain states, on the local and slow trains (RB only). For example, you can go anywhere in Bavaria - example. Nuremberg to Munich to Garmisch - on the Bayern ticket on one day. There is also a new ticket coming soon which is supposed to be good for all of Germany on the RB trains weekdays and also can be used by multiple people, but I could only find the weekend version of this on the Bahn website. http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/prices/germany/swt.shtml

The IC or ICE trains also have luggage racks in the middle of the cars, so you do not have to lift larger suitcases on the overhead racks. While I would not leave my passport there, I travel frequently on the train, and have never had anything stolen in Germany.

Air Berlin and German Wings are two other cheaper airlines to check out.

We are toying with the idea to throw in the Christmas Markets river cruise on possibly AMA or Uniworld the end of November. There seem to be some nice pricing and schedules. Anyone have a recommendation? We are looking at Christmas Time on AMA, 11/20 Danube Holiday or Basel to Cologne on Uniworld.

Okay, without a doubt, Avalon Affinity hands down for the Christmas Market's cruise departing 12/10/09. We wanted it on the cruise prior to this one, but there was nothing available. We are doing Vienna to Prague. Looking forward to it. Any feelings, folks?

Ok I jumped on a single-supplement waived rate for Uniworld River Duchess Rhine and Main cruise (leaving US 12/17) - even got Cat 3 cabin. I get that the markets will be closed for the last few days of my trip, that is OK. What happens on the ship Christmas day?

Well,

After researching and researching somemore we finally decided and went with Uniworld on the River Countess Vienna to Nuremberg, sailing on Dec 1. All the itineraries looked good. I wanted to go to the markets in Nuremberg to buy some "Prune People" so that helped narrow our choices. Now just got to get the air & hotels down. We are planning to spend a few days pre in Vienna. Plan to do a day trip outside of town somewhere. Anyone who has spent time in Vienna and has any suggestions, feel free to post them. Looking at the Hilton since we have points. Any suggestions? I understand the boats in Vienna don't dock right in town like they do at some of the other cities. Need to find out how far our of town and the distance from the Hiltons.

Will take train from Nuremberg to Frankfurt to catch flight back to US (LAX).

Coming from Sunny California I'm sure even my warmest clothes won't come close to being warm enough.

We are planning to spend a few days pre in Vienna. Plan to do a day trip outside of town somewhere. Anyone who has spent time in Vienna and has any suggestions, feel free to post them.

Coming from Sunny California I'm sure even my warmest clothes won't come close to being warm enough.

Hat, gloves, scarf - if you have these, you will survive the cold. And Xmas 2006 was very warm (high 50's) so you might get lucky.

I have been to Vienna twice - once for the Xmas markets - and I would just stay in town, if you want to really get a feeling for the city. There is plenty to do for just a few days. I have been to Schloss Schoenbrunn in the summer and it was lovely, but apparently the Xmas market is really wonderful.

Hi All

Last Christmas, the markets were very cold. No bad weather... only drizzled one day, the entire rest of the trip was awesome weather, but very cold. Invest in some good, warm walking boots that are lined. I had read on one of the blogs before last years trip about these boots... and they were awesome, they are called: Trotters Blast, Black Patent. They are the perfect height to tuck in your pantleg, fully lined inside and you only need one pair of socks and your feet stay toasty. Traction on the bottom is great for all of the cobblestones also. Just a suggestion. Also, I wore a camisole underneath a shirt, then a lighweight fleece with a coat or no fleece with my cloudveil coat (which is made out of that lightweight material that is waterproof the skiers wear) and it was great also. I stayed very warm. Hats are a must, and although the hat I bought at the Christmas Market was expensive, I have worn it many times since. It is quite stylish... don't you think? Being from sunny California, I truly do not get to dress warm like this often, so usually it is when I go back east to visit grandchildren. So I loved this cold weather cruise because of this.

If you have any questions about the trip on the Danube, I did take it last year on Viking. We chose AMA this year, just so we could compare lines. We are going with two other longtime friends...this is their first Christmas Market Trip.

Any ideas and suggestions from others that have taken these Christmas Market cruises are all greatly appreciated.

I love the planning! Hope you are enjoying your planning and hope to see a few of you on the AMA AMAYLRA on December 4th, 2009 with two days in Prague, pre-cruise.

IMG_8691.jpg.6302892c73a80e8bccc31887d1c4b653.jpg

catkoe1 (and OTHERS READING THIS)

Great Hat !! Does it keep your ears warm? That seems to get colder than my head.

Where did you find those shoes you were talking about?

I keep telling my DH the temps there for this time of year & how he will need to dress. He says he LOVES the cold. Well, since he hasn't spent more than a day or 2 up in the mountains in the real cold and snow I guess I had better just Shop & pack for him. I hope by Nov. the Calif. stores will have their thermals out.

SO FAR IS THERE NO ONE ELSE OUT THERE ON UNIWORLD EUROPEAN HOLIDAY MARKETS SAILING VIENNA TO NUREMBERG 11/30/2009 (it actually sails on 12/1/09) ????

Come on, I am sure there must be, don't be shy, the ship is almost full.

Just finalize our plans pre cruise ( 4 days in and around Vienna) and air. Thanks, folks like Steamboats for all the info.

Hoping to do some Christmas markets on our own before the cruise, maybe in Salzburg area or a friend of mine who did the Christmas markets a few yrs. back said that they were surprised how many bargains they got in Bratislava, Slovakia ( our USD has a better value there because they are not on the Euro). They also thought it was a cute little town. Since it's not one of our stops and its only a 1.5 hr ride from Vienna we are also looking at that.

Any other places within a hour of Vienna we should check out for touring and /or Christmas Markets ?

Still haven't been able to find out how far the cruise dock in Vienna (for Uniworld) is from the Vienna Hilton or the main train station in Vienna. Trying to get an idea of taxi cost to the ship. If anyone has stayed in the area near that Hilton and has info....please tell!!

We did go to Bratislava on last years trip. It is an awesome little town.

if you go to my webshots at http://community.webshots.com/user/catkoe1 and go to the Christmas Markets 2008 album , starting with page 17 (approximately) and look at photos 8140 to 8243 ...that is Bratislava. Awesome statues around town. Very whimsical in the presentation. You will see if you view the pics. Someone asked me of all my travels what were the two most memorable places... I said Cesky Krumlov and Bratislava. Cesky being so newly renovated since the communists left and such an "old area" behind the iron curtain at one time. Very interesting to me. Just thoughts to help you decide whether to go to Bratislava.

ps: yes the hat keeps my ears almost too warm... I have lots of hair under there so it can get bothersome for such a small hat. Also those Trotters Blast... google them, I bought them online and yes they are true to size. I had originially bought them for my Alaska cruise and cruisetour. They sure came in handy for my Christmas trip. I also agree, last years Christmas Market river cruising board was hoppin'. This year, so quiet.

Hi there,

I would say, too expensive. We did this once from Scotland and did cost us $187, which was more than the contents.

But what we did do this last time... We had bought an extra suitcase on our last day. It was a duffle.... all the dirty clothes went in that and all the great bubble wrapped, styrofoam boxes went in the regular suitcase. Nothing broke in the suitcases, and there were many handblown glass ornaments bubble wrapped and boxed well. Used dirty clothes to protect them also. I was flying business class and had two 70 pound suitcases for free, so only paid the extra $15 for the dirty clothes bag. But in economy it would have cost $50 for the two extra...but still cheaper than mailing. Also, we spent over an hour buying the box, bubble wrap, taping everything, finding a post office and hauling everything to the post office. In my opinion, too much trouble. However, a handmade ornament I was carefully carrying from Melk, got broken. Who knows why, because the other one did not break. But who's to say the airlines wouldn't lose the suitcase... just the chances we take. But good luck with your decision.

Catkoe1

Thanks for the picture of the shoes. I am going to look for them.

Glad to hear good things about Bratislava. If we take the train, do you know how far away the Christmas Markets are?

I am really looking forward to this trip. Since my DH isn't much of a shopper I have to make sure that we mix in some sightseeing along the way.

On my last 3 trips I knew I was going to be bring home some breakables. So I packed bubble wrap, ziploc bags and tear apart shipping tape . I purposedly brought a good size hardsided rolling suitcase (TJ Maxx $79.99), I highly recommend it. It's actually lighter weight than my rolling fabric suitcase. On the outbound flight I used a small duffle bag as my "carry on". Inside my suitcase I packed another "carry-on" type fold up tote. At the end of my trip I put some of my clothes in it to make room for the breakables that I put in the hard sided suitcase. I checked the 2nd bag on the return. I am either a very good packer or just extremely lucky but nothing broke (good thing because some of the "gifts" were liquid).

Great advice catkoe1!

Loved your pic with the hat - I've actually purchased a pashmina scarf in almost identical colours to yours to take with me.

I read elsewhere that a good tip is to take two lots of headwear, gloves and footwear for walking in case one set gets really wet and you need to dry them out overnight. Then you always have a dry set to go.

I'm originally from the UK so when visiting there I take pantihose/tights to wear under my pants/trousers to keep my legs warm in the cold weather.

Layering of clothes is a great thing for us - leaving Australia in the hot summer we can wear singlets/t-shirts which can then go under our warm clothes when we get to the colder climes.

Another tip for the plane - I use a backpack as my 'handbag' and pack the bag in my case. Then I can take it as well as a carry on case. All the important items such as medication, purse, camera and heavy chargers, books etc go in the backpack leaving me more weight allowance in the case. I'm just careful not to pick too big a backpack.

And my umbrella is always packed in the backpack as 'insurance' against the weather. It has worked well so far :cool:

Cheers,

Moira :)

We did the Uniworld Cologne to Basel last Dec. As someone from New Hampshire we did not expect to be cold! The dampness makes it feel colder, I had bought Dankso shearling lined boots (I have Uggs but they do not have enough support for long walks on cobblestones). These worked very well with silk or wool sock liners. Gloves and hat are a must.

Second seating

• 2 weeks later...

Secondseating, your shearling boots sound so warm and comfortable. We learned the first day out..... warm lined boots and only ONE PAIR OF SOCKS. By the end of the day... our feet were tingling from being too bound up across the bridge of the toe area. OUCH. Next day, we wore our furry lined boots with one pair of socks.... awwww heaven! No cold toes, no tingly toes, just right toes! Makes a huge difference when walking extensively.

In two days we are only 12 weeks away for our magical trip again. We can't wait.

Enjoy the planning, IMO that is the best of the trip... but then I am in the industry, and love to plan it all. See you on the AMAYLRA IN DECEMBER!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

this is becoming a one woman thread... Anyone else out there going on Christmas Market Cruise this December? What do you think our weather will be? What do you find to be the most beneficial item you take on a River cruise? Packing for the river cruise is slightly different that the ocean voyages. I like to take our very good binoculars to see the details on the castles as we cruise by.

Hope everyone is enjoying their planning and hope to hear from you before the cruise.

I cruised on the Viking Europe last year in the first week of December from Vienna to Passau. If you have any questions, I could help answer them for you.

This year we are cruising on AMA, Amalyra again the first week in December from Prague to Budapest with four days in Prague before the cruise and three days in Budapest after the cruise. Looking forward to going on this magical trip again. These small European Villages celebrate Christmas in a way that I wish we all did here in the states.... without commercialism, out in their town squares at night, re-connecting with family and friends around a Christmas tree decorated with dried fruits, handmade ornaments and a glass of gluhwein! what a great way to celebrate!

Archived