To Glacier Bay or Not To Glacier Bay

PastorD2

The closest port town to Glacier Bay that regular cruise ships visit is Icy Strait Point. Anchorage is nowhere near there.

After doing some research it looks like you have to drive to Juneau and then fly to Gustavas, then take a boat out to glacier bay (if you wanted to see glacier bay from the land).

After doing some research it looks like you have to drive to Juneau and then fly to Gustavas, then take a boat out to glacier bay (if you wanted to see glacier bay from the land).

You can't drive to Juneau - you would have to get there by plane or boat. You can also take the ferry from Juneau to Gustavus. If you're on a cruise ship - you could fly to Glacier Bay from Haines, Skagway, or Hoonah (Icy Strait Point).

If you really want to see Glacier Bay, it's much easier to choose a ship that goes there.

Glacier Bay is a National Monument and a World Heritage Site. There is a reason for that. It is because it is one of the most spectacular natural displays you will ever see. It would be a shame to take your first trip to Alaska and miss Glacier Bay! Do it!!

Also, IMHO there is no comparison between Carnival and Crown Princess. Princess does a wonderful job in Alaska and I would choose them in an instant over Carnival.

So -- Glacier Bay with Princess = one of the best possible Alaska trips!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

for a good look at Glacier Bay.

Check out http://bully4.us/cruising.html

for reports on several other trips to Alaska and several Princess ships.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Marilyn,

Would you mind emailing me elg4144@charter.net We are going on the coral princess begining of July and I was concerned abut the weather. Will it be cold and some what warm? A lot of clothes to take. Thank you, Ellen

There is no way to predict ANY Alaska weather, you need to be well prepared for a wide range. IF you get yourself outside, then you are going to need jackets, hat and gloves for your glacier sailing, along with perhaps a pair of shorts for a port visit. In my opinion you need the same stuff, no matter when you go there.

You can greatly cut down on bulk if you do some laundry.

Marilyn,

Would you mind emailing me elg4144@charter.net We are going on the coral princess begining of July and I was concerned abut the weather. Will it be cold and some what warm? A lot of clothes to take. Thank you, Ellen

Elwinnie, Budget Queen is correct. That is one thing you cannot predict is the weather in alaska so go prepared. I always layer, layer, layer. i waear a turtleneck for an example, a medium weigt coat. I do not bring a heavy weight parka unless I am going to climb around a glacier.:rolleyes: Always bring a umbrella, hat and gloves. Now this last year we did a B2B on the Coral and the trip going up Ketchikan was raining cats and dogs. Coming back it was 80 degrees. Wow what a change. So you just never know. So basically if you have turtlnecks, a pair of jeans or docker type, a medium weight coat with the gloves, umbrella, etc you will be fine. For evening I bring 1-2 pair of nice slacks, maybe a couple of tops to interchange and I am fine.

Marilyn

Mrs. wants balcony but after reading here/elsewhere re weather in first week Sept, wonder if we'll actually get a chance to use it.

On a one way northbound sailing, first 3 days are ports/land excursions right? Then Glacier Bay scenic cruise - which I assume parts will be better on deck listening to rangers/naturalists? Then shorter College Fjord scenic cruise before hitting land again.

And if the weather is so finicky and unpredictable, how much real time/opportunity for balcony sitting?

Mrs. wants balcony but after reading here/elsewhere re weather in first week Sept, wonder if we'll actually get a chance to use it.

On a one way northbound sailing, first 3 days are ports/land excursions right? Then Glacier Bay scenic cruise - which I assume parts will be better on deck listening to rangers/naturalists? Then shorter College Fjord scenic cruise before hitting land again.

And if the weather is so finicky and unpredictable, how much real time/opportunity for balcony sitting?

Again, you are asking a question that can not be answered. The only sure thing here will be the need for proper warm attire. Totally up to your tolerance for sitting and viewing from your balcony??

We're booked on Regent which doesn't go into Glacier Bay - a big mistake? We're planning on doing the excursion in Tracey Arm. Is there any other way of seeing Glacier Bay besides being on Princess or HAL??

Glacier Bay certainly is a glacier highlight way superior to the Sawyer's of Tracy Arm. You have no option for getting there except via air, which in my opinion, sailing there is grossly superior. I'm assuming you have an all day port time, at least 7a-7p to add Tracy Arm?? An excellent tour.

So, a "mistake", definately no. :) Alaska does require "repeated trips". You've made a great choice which will certainly offer you a fantastic trip.

Again, you are asking a question that can not be answered. The only sure thing here will be the need for proper warm attire. Totally up to your tolerance for sitting and viewing from your balcony??

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an 'interrogation'. Thanks ;)

Just to give an update: OP decided on the Coral Princess cruise out of Whitter on August 31st. We plan to fly into Anchorage a week earlier and to our own land tour. Still trying to figure out where to go and what to do. So many choices!! :eek: I am torn between working Seward or Fairbanks into our travels. Don't see how I can get both and have time to enjoy all that we want to do.

Archived