Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Just an update on the 'getting from EWR to Newark Penn station' debate. On another site I go on, someone has suggested using your hotels free shuttle to the airport (P4?) and then hopping on the the Hilton Newark Penn's shuttle to take you effectively to the station, so its free all the way. Anyone know if the Hilton shuttle bus checks your 'validity' to travel on their shuttle?

Simon

Frank - are you near Meadville? My sister-in-law used to live there. Spent a few days there many years ago. BTW - 211 W.56th St. is the closest Hooters and don't forget the senior citizen fares on NJ Transit!

Ma - glad you are all set. I am staying in the Holiday Inn tomorrow night and I will let everyone know how it is. We will have an entourage of DH and myself, DD and DS, and 2 DGD's, one of whom is a 4 mo. old baby. It should be interesting.

Simon - I like the idea of using the Hilton Hotel shuttle. For some reason I didn't think they had one.

Simon - I like the idea of using the Hilton Hotel shuttle. For some reason I didn't think they had one.

I've just checked the hotel website Carol and apparently they do..24hrs. Thats why I wondered how stringently they check to see if you are a hotel guest.

Simon

Would it be unwise to stay at a hotel at LGA airport the day before the cruise and get a shuttle or taxi to Red Hook the day of the cruise. Are there any nice hotels by LGA and do you have any hints on a good way to get to the pier. Any help would be appreciated, we are thinking about LGA because SWA flies there now or would ISP be better.

Would it be unwise to stay at a hotel at LGA airport the day before the cruise and get a shuttle or taxi to Red Hook the day of the cruise. Are there any nice hotels by LGA and do you have any hints on a good way to get to the pier. Any help would be appreciated, we are thinking about LGA because SWA flies there now or would ISP be better.

Hi..you should start a new thread...this thread pertains to cruises leaving from Cape Liberty in New Jersey and the people who can help you may not see this....

I have no idea about your question....except LGA is easier to get around and is closer than ISP.......

airport hotels by LGA are fine...not fancy or special, but if you stick to the name brands you should be ok....

again, please post this as it's own thread for the best advice!

Hey Meg,

Question for ya: What's the weather normally like in NJ around the end of April?

Thanks bunches!

Michelle

well it should be warmer...BUT it's ben coolish....i would pack layers...it will be a little cold at night and for the 1st day or so at sea.....should be in the 60s (F) but it can be chilly. Bring a sweater/sweatshirt or something, and a light pair of sweatpants, just in case it hasn't warmed up...plus the motion of the ship along with the breeze on the ocean will make it seem cooler!

Just an update on the 'getting from EWR to Newark Penn station' debate. On another site I go on, someone has suggested using your hotels free shuttle to the airport (P4?) and then hopping on the the Hilton Newark Penn's shuttle to take you effectively to the station, so its free all the way. Anyone know if the Hilton shuttle bus checks your 'validity' to travel on their shuttle?

Simon

most likely not....just say, Hmm....we wouldlike to check out the hotel...or we are going over for dinner or something....(they really don't usualy give a rat's behind....that hotel is pretty busy so they won't care! (couple bucks usually helps...wink wink!)

Frank - are you near Meadville? My sister-in-law used to live there. Spent a few days there many years ago. BTW - 211 W.56th St. is the closest Hooters and don't forget the senior citizen fares on NJ Transit!

Ma - glad you are all set. I am staying in the Holiday Inn tomorrow night and I will let everyone know how it is. We will have an entourage of DH and myself, DD and DS, and 2 DGD's, one of whom is a 4 mo. old baby. It should be interesting.

uh, i think i mentioned that carol!!:D

IIRC they get a lot of business travelers and i believe they also have contracts for flight crew rooms.....i always see an array of peeps in navy polyester with the tell-tale black travelpro roll on, pilots case etc getting on that shuttle.....

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/EWRHGHF-Hilton-Newark-Penn-Station-New-Jersey/directions.do

that's the page with shuttleinfo...24 hours, but on demand from 11P-6AM.....

Hi Carol,

Well, well, what a small world !!:) Do-do-do-do-do-do-do

I was born and raised in Meadville lived there for 40 years and I am still there almost everyday. My town, Saegertown, is 6 miles from Meadville and since Saegertown has one small grocery store, and one small hardware store, we spend all of our time shopping, eating out, and everything is done in Meadville. So it is like I never left. I graduated from Meadville High School and spent and still spend much time at the YMCA. I probably know almost everyone in town. I even hate to ask your relatives name, BECAUSE I PROBABLY know her/or her family. :eek:

Meadville is also the home of Allegheny College, where my son and step daughter graduated.

Thank you for the Hooters address !!:D

Frank

The 62 bus actually stops 1/4 mile from your hotel. However, we really don't recommend walking in that area.

Here's Your Best Route...

From 901 Spring St. to RT 1 & 9 & NORTH AVE.

orange_pixel.gif Walk approx. 2 blocks on Spring St. Turn right on North Ave E. Walk a short distance on North Ave E. orange_pixel.gif

Also, there are half price reduced fares if you are 62 or older.

Hi Carol,

I couldn't open these sites !?!?

Frank

Frank,

My sister-in-law didn't live there very long - only one visit from us. I remember going to a county fair (??) and seeing the biggest livestock I have ever seen. I never knew that cows could be that big!!! The size of a small car! Anyway, it was a pretty area and we had a nice time.

I don't remember from all the posts - have you been to NY before? Unfortunately, the Newark area does not present the best of New Jersey. You are in for a culture shock.

The 62 bus actually stops 1/4 mile from your hotel. However, we really don't recommend walking in that area.

Here's Your Best Route...

From 901 Spring St. to RT 1 & 9 & NORTH AVE.

http://www.njtransit.com/images/orange_pixel.gif Walk approx. 2 blocks on Spring St. Turn right on North Ave E. Walk a short distance on North Ave E. http://www.njtransit.com/images/orange_pixel.gif

Hi Carol,

These sites won't open for me.:confused:

Not sure what is on them...maps maybe ??

Oh, Yes, the Crawford County Fair..largest agriculture fair in the state. It is held in August every year for one week.

We have never been to NYC before.

Wed, Oct 28 noon to ? Take bus 62 to Newark Penn Station, take Path to midtown NYC to see Empire State, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and whatever else we can. Then take Path back to Newark Penn Station, take NJ Train to airport station, airtrain to P-4, take hotel shuttle back to Crowne Plaza. Should we be concerned with the time we go back to the hotel ??(safety?)

Thur. early AM take hotel shuttle to airport,( or take bus 62 from the pickup area near the hotel to Newark Penn Station and eliminate the airport get off) then take Path to Ground Zero, get off walk to Battery Park(for Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island,) after that walk back to Ground Zero to visit, then Path back to ERW. We thought this would take most of Thursday. Friday at 11:00 AM take supershuttle, goairlinkshuttle, Carmel or Dial 7 to Manhattan Port OR call MEG or Carol for ride to port !!!:D

Back in the BC and BM days,(Before Carol---Before Meg) I knew nuttin, but now I almost feel like I know what I am doing !!:)

THE PROBLEM: HOW TO GET 2 POUNDS OF CHOCOLATE HOME FROM THE STORE IN A HOT CAR.

THE SOLUTION: EAT IT IN THE PARKING LOT !!!

Thanks,

Frank

I saw this today...seems appropriate for our conversation:p

If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control top pantyhose. An entire garment industry would be devastated !!:):D

Frank

frank..you always come up with interesting little quips!:D

YO CAROL!!!???!! can you look on the East coast board for the fenway thread please and see if you can help this person?? they're gonna be in beantown on july 4th and are going to fenway (they have an ALL DAY port call...)

they wanna know about traffic and all...you guys up in beantown do it up on the 4th so i said there will be many peeps around.....so maybe you can add better insight since you live up there now??!

OK...back to our regularly scheduled stuff here in joisey

I have a few questions about parking at Cape Liberty and 1 about Bayonne lodgings.

1. Do you drop your luggage off first and then go to the parking area? If not, what is the process? If yes do you walk or bus it to the terminal.

2. At the end of the cruise how do you get all of your belongings to your car?

3. I have only been able to find 1 hotel/motel in Bayonne (Hudson Plaza Motel) and from what I can determine it is "strongly" not recommended. Is anyone aware of any recommended Bed and Breaksfasts in Bayonne?

Thanks in advance.

I have a few questions about parking at Cape Liberty and 1 about Bayonne lodgings.

1. Do you drop your luggage off first and then go to the parking area? If not, what is the process? If yes do you walk or bus it to the terminal

the parking lot is before the terminal......you can park first then haul your stuff or pull up, drop off and send one person to park.

you take a bus from the terminal to the ship..

2. At the end of the cruise how do you get all of your belongings to your car?

send someone to get the car and one waits or haul everything back....

3. I have only been able to find 1 hotel/motel in Bayonne (Hudson Plaza Motel) and from what I can determine it is "strongly" not recommended. Is anyone aware of any recommended Bed and Breaksfasts in Bayonne?

have you bumped your head????:rolleyes::p NO!!!!!!!!!! do not stay there....

click the link in my signature below....lots of suggestions....do NOT stay in bayonne.....

i do not know of any B&Bs and no offense to the people who started this thread, but really, there isn't much around the pier area....

read my blog then come back here and ask if you need more info!Thanks in advance.

see above!

generally the word "motel" when used in New Jersey means a place where rooms are rented by the hour, or by local social welfare agencies to house people without homes.....

many people stay near Newark airport, or in Jersey City.....it really depends on how long you are spending (just a night or a couple days...and what you intend to do...ie, go into NYC, do nothing, whatever....

hope that helps!

Hi Carol,

These sites won't open for me.:confused:

Not sure what is on them...maps maybe ??

Oh, Yes, the Crawford County Fair..largest agriculture fair in the state. It is held in August every year for one week.

We have never been to NYC before.

Wed, Oct 28 noon to ? Take bus 62 to Newark Penn Station, take Path to midtown NYC to see Empire State, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and whatever else we can. Then take Path back to Newark Penn Station, take NJ Train to airport station, airtrain to P-4, take hotel shuttle back to Crowne Plaza. Should we be concerned with the time we go back to the hotel ??(safety?)

Thur. early AM take hotel shuttle to airport,( or take bus 62 from the pickup area near the hotel to Newark Penn Station and eliminate the airport get off) then take Path to Ground Zero, get off walk to Battery Park(for Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island,) after that walk back to Ground Zero to visit, then Path back to ERW. We thought this would take most of Thursday. Friday at 11:00 AM take supershuttle, goairlinkshuttle, Carmel or Dial 7 to Manhattan Port OR call MEG or Carol for ride to port !!!:D

Back in the BC and BM days,(Before Carol---Before Meg) I knew nuttin, but now I almost feel like I know what I am doing !!:)

THE PROBLEM: HOW TO GET 2 POUNDS OF CHOCOLATE HOME FROM THE STORE IN A HOT CAR.

THE SOLUTION: EAT IT IN THE PARKING LOT !!!

Thanks,

Frank

Frank - you may be able to find the sites by exploring NJTransit.com.

Now - a really personal question for you. Are you 62+? If so, we need to talk about senior citizen fares, which will save you a lot more money than the already ridiculously cheap fares we have worked out with you.

Archived