Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Hi everyone! Wanted to start a board to be able to help people who are comming to my town. Figured the best thing to do was post this and take it from here.

I am a Bayonne New Jersey Resident and I love cruising. I'm sure others out there have a million questions that they cant find answers to, and I'm willing to help.

So ask away and i'll find out the answers for you and post them here.

Happy sailing!

Hi, we will be cruising on Explorer on June 11th, 2009 and I have a question (or 2):

We want to go to NYC after we return from our cruise and wondered if we would be better off to drive our car to NYC or to take a train/subway?

Also, can you recommend any particular guided tours of the major attractions around NYC? I have been looking at one called Circle Line Downtown.. Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!

I make the trip from Mass to NJ about 10 times a year. If I had to be a truck, I wouldn't take 95 through the Bronx either. I would take 287 to the Major Deegan (87) south to the GWB. If you stay in the left two lanes, you can get onto I80 West and then right onto the NJ turnpike. To get to Bayonne, you should follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel. This puts you on the east branch of the turnpike. Once you get near the tunnel, just stay on the turnpike. Be sure to watch for exit 14A.

This would definitely be an easy route on a Sunday morning. It also has a good chance of being an easy route on a Friday morning after 10 am.

I make the trip from Mass to NJ about 10 times a year. If I had to be a truck, I wouldn't take 95 through the Bronx either. I would take 287 to the Major Deegan (87) south to the GWB. If you stay in the left two lanes, you can get onto I80 West and then right onto the NJ turnpike. To get to Bayonne, you should follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel. This puts you on the east branch of the turnpike. Once you get near the tunnel, just stay on the turnpike. Be sure to watch for exit 14A.

This would definitely be an easy route on a Sunday morning. It also has a good chance of being an easy route on a Friday morning after 10 am.

Thing is, we want to avoid the GWB entirely so will be going over the Tappan Zee to the GSP and then take Rt 3 over to the turnpike. We just want to know if we can take a pickup on the Garden State. It is one of those crew cabs with 4 full doors and we are not familiar with city driving and have no wish to be on roads through the Bronx. We live in the country and this is a new truck and, we just want to go on the GSP, if we can.

Thing is, we want to avoid the GWB entirely so will be going over the Tappan Zee to the GSP and then take Rt 3 over to the turnpike. We just want to know if we can take a pickup on the Garden State. It is one of those crew cabs with 4 full doors and we are not familiar with city driving and have no wish to be on roads through the Bronx. We live in the country and this is a new truck and, we just want to go on the GSP, if we can.

i think you will be OK as it is tractor trailers that have an issue...there are several overpasses that are too low...

i would still email them and ask if it's ok though since the website is really unclear.

i think you will be OK as it is tractor trailers that have an issue...there are several overpasses that are too low...

i would still email them and ask if it's ok though since the website is really unclear.

Thanks Meg, I did e-mail them as their website does not address this issue. Hopefully, they will respond quickly. This is just one of those details I want to clear up before the serious stuff(packing) begins!!

Thanks Meg, I did e-mail them as their website does not address this issue. Hopefully, they will respond quickly. This is just one of those details I want to clear up before the serious stuff(packing) begins!!

I got a quick answer from the Turnpike Offices - as long as the pick up is under 7000 lbs it can go on the GSP the entire length. If it is over 7000 lbs it can only go from exit 105 South. I don't think we will carry 7000 lbs - we are not bringing that much so we will be OK.

Thanks for your advice.

This thread is great and has so much information for those cruising out of Bayonne. We are sailing on the EOS next January and plan to come into the area 2 days ahead of time. We are trying to decide where to stay and are hoping to get some thoughts and insight from those experts on this thread.

Here is our plans ... drive in from Ontario two days before and most likely arrive into the area around 8 pm. We are two families with two children each, so we want convenience, clean hotel that is in a safe area (yes ... we are asking for alot ... abd oh yeah ... we are also looking for a reasonably priced hotel!!) We want to spend the day before the cruise doing the tourist thing in NYC and then possibly some shopping in NJ. Our dilemna is where do we reserve a hotel?? I see our possibilities as follows:

NYC/Manhattan (great for the day visit, but more expensive rooms and parking and longer drive to port on cruise day)

Jersey City (great access on PATH to NYC, not far from port, but rates are higher and some charge for parking)

Elizabeth (closer to ports, great rates, but unsure how we would get to NYC without driving)

I would love to be able to park the car when we arrive in the area and then not use it again until we drive to the port.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestion??

Thanks very much.

What is your target hotel budget per room for 2 rooms with 2 adults and 2 children each? Are 2 double beds OK or do you need queens? What are the exact dates you are looking for rooms?

Right now I'm thinking either Jersey City or Secaucus because of the car parking. This would give you access to Manhattan via Path or NJ Transit bus. I'm also thinking the rooms should be cancellable.

most Jersey city hotels charge to park but you have faster access to NYC.....whereas many elizabeth hotels do not charge...however, NYC access, while good, will take a bit longer...

free parking for registered guests at this Jersey City Hotel.

Candlewood Suites

JERSEY CITY

21 SECOND STREET

JERSEY CITY, NJ 07302 UNITED STATES

Back to the drawing boards for you, Skeetercat. Here is my suggestion for your group since Jersey City is currently too expensive for Jan 12-14.

1) Secaucus NJ - hotels are a short distance out Route 3 with quick and easy access from the NJ turnpike and access into NY by bus to Port Authority terminal at 40th & 8th Avenue. From there it is one avenue across to Times Square. All the hotels have parking and seem reasonably priced for your dates. They are all "brand" hotels with the expected amenities - no surprises here, which can be good when traveling with children. Additionally, there are some shopping outlets. Check out http://www.secaucus.org/tourism.html

A second choice would be the Newark/Elizabeth area, but the transportation into New York becomes more complicated and time consuming. Also, you plan to arrive around 8 pm, which is on the late side. Do you know what route you will come into the NY area on?

Back to the drawing boards for you, Skeetercat. Here is my suggestion for your group since Jersey City is currently too expensive for Jan 12-14.

1) Secaucus NJ - hotels are a short distance out Route 3 with quick and easy access from the NJ turnpike and access into NY by bus to Port Authority terminal at 40th & 8th Avenue. From there it is one avenue across to Times Square. All the hotels have parking and seem reasonably priced for your dates. They are all "brand" hotels with the expected amenities - no surprises here, which can be good when traveling with children. Additionally, there are some shopping outlets. Check out http://www.secaucus.org/tourism.html

A second choice would be the Newark/Elizabeth area, but the transportation into New York becomes more complicated and time consuming. Also, you plan to arrive around 8 pm, which is on the late side. Do you know what route you will come into the NY area on?

I'm not sure of the route yet ... we will be coming in through NY State from Buffalo. The hotels in Secaucus do look alittle better priced, but still close to $200 each. How long of a drive is it from Secaucus to the port?? Since we are not familiar of the NY and NJ area ... which area is the easiest to navigate around??

Thanks again for this information ... i'd be lost without it!!

I'm not sure of the route yet ... we will be coming in through NY State from Buffalo. The hotels in Secaucus do look alittle better priced, but still close to $200 each. How long of a drive is it from Secaucus to the port?? Since we are not familiar of the NY and NJ area ... which area is the easiest to navigate around??

Thanks again for this information ... i'd be lost without it!!

maybe 20 minutes more or less depending on traffic............

Secaucus is at exit 16 on the NJ turnpike. You would go south to exit 14, which is Newark airport (about 10 minutes) and follow the signs to exit 14A in Bayonne (another 10 minutes). The port is 5 minutes from the turnpike.

Did you look at La Quinta - I'm seeing it for $125 - and it offers breakfast.

I'm thinking that it will be easier for you to find this hotel area than to find some of the hotels at Newark Airport. The offerings are similar and the rates are similar, particularly when you take into account the time and cost of getting into NY. From Secaucus you would take 1 bus - total time probably about 20-30 minutes. We can focus on the bus numbers and cost later - about $2.50-$3.00 each way per adult and children half that. From Newark you would have a choice of bus or train. For the bus, you would have to walk from the hotel to the bus stop (really not recommended) For the train you would the hotel shuttle to the Airtrain which would be $15 each way to NY for the adults and less for the kids. To keep the cost lower, you could take the bus to the train station in Newark (or even drive there) and take the train to NY for $4 for adults and about 1/2 that for kids.

Think through the logistics with your group and let us know what you are interested in. Perhaps someone will have some other suggestions to offer about Secaucus.

Thanks again.

A couple of other questions ... if we stay by the airport/Elizabeth area or in Secaucus, could we drive to a PATH station and park in Jersey City area and then catch the train into NYC?? Are there parking lots beside the PATH stations??

Can anyone help me here, I read through several pages of posts but couldn't find the answer. I'll be flying in from LAX and would just like the most direct and inexpensive way to the port. Which airport should I fly into and what type of transportation options are there from there? Thanks to all.

Linda

Can anyone help me here, I read through several pages of posts but couldn't find the answer. I'll be flying in from LAX and would just like the most direct and inexpensive way to the port. Which airport should I fly into and what type of transportation options are there from there? Thanks to all.

Linda

sorry about that last post, i haven't been cruising:( or used the board for a couple of years!

For Bayonne you should fly into Newark. Transportation options are:

1) cab to the pier $45-50

2) car service to the pier - $45-50

3) Country Inns offers a hotel package that includes transfers

4) Royal Caribbean transfer - you have to take your hotel shuttle to the airport to meet up with them.

I'm sure Meg will respond - her blog has lots of useful information. What date are you flying in? Do you need a hotel room?

hi! what carol (138east) said!

if you're cruising from jersey fly into EWR in jersey as it will cost more to get into NJ from one of the airports in New York (LGA/JFK)

check my blog for hotel and transportation info...

cabs and car services are basically the same price.

i used www.blackexecutivecars.com and they were great but they book up fast....

what else would you like to know???:p

how long will you be here..just 1 night?? do you have plans to do anything??

Archived