Chair Hogs

paulred

Oops, sorry Leejnd4 - I think I was typing the same time as you. Basically just repeated what you just posted! :o

Thanks for setting it straight.

Happy cruising!

No worries - and thanks! I have to say I LOL'd over your comment that there was once a thread on this topic that was closed by the admins. Multiply that by the hundreds, and you might come close to the history of booze-smuggling threads in Cruise Critic!

Standing behind one's opinion does not mean you have to belittle or criticize the other person's opinion. Thank you once again.

Nor should it involve questioning someone's morals, comparing them to shoplifters, comparing what they do to eating unpaid-for fruit in the grocery store, calling someone "unethical" - all things that have happened in this thread. And trust me, this was all terrifically mild compared to things that have been said to us in other threads. Compared to that, tossing out a few sarcastic comments in defense is, I should think, pretty understandable.

No worries - and thanks! I have to say I LOL'd over your comment that there was once a thread on this topic that was closed by the admins. Multiply that by the hundreds, and you might come close to the history of booze-smuggling threads in Cruise Critic!

Nor should it involve questioning someone's morals, comparing them to shoplifters, comparing what they do to eating unpaid-for fruit in the grocery store, calling someone "unethical" - all things that have happened in this thread. And trust me, this was all terrifically mild compared to things that have been said to us in other threads. Compared to that, tossing out a few sarcastic comments in defense is, I should think, pretty understandable.

Now I understand why some knickers seemed to be in a twist. I wasn't comparing anyone to a shoplifter. If you go back and read my post I was comparing the concept that certain factors cause the cost of goods to increase. I could have just as easily used the word "breakage" or "returns" or "spillage".

Now I understand why some knickers seemed to be in a twist. I wasn't comparing anyone to a shoplifter. If you go back and read my post I was comparing the concept that certain factors cause the cost of goods to increase. I could have just as easily used the word "breakage" or "returns" or "spillage".

Now we're getting somewhere! Could there be some actual empathy and understanding going on here? Thank you! Yes it certainly would have come across as less hurtful and insulting to compare our behavior to things that aren't actually criminal - and I think you get that now. Progress!

Once again, I did not compare anyone to a shoplifter. The term "shoplifting" was used in the concept of what things can cause an increase in the price of goods. If you carefully read the post you will see that. I can understand you jumping to conclusions after hearing about the heated discussions on this site. Stick to your guns in what you believe in and try to read every post with an open mind and not a defensive attitude. Thanks.

One of the biggest differences between the chair hogs and booze smugglers is shown on the Cruise Critic board...I have never seen anyone asking for ways to be a chair hog, but I have seen a lot of questions about Rum Runners, and other ways to safely take booze on-board. I have never seen anyone defending chair hogs on this forum either. :)

One of the best things about this whole board is to opportunity to learn from others, to come to an understanding, whether or not you agree with someone else...but the only thing I understand about chair hogs is that they don't think about the fact that they are keeping other people from enjoying the lounges during the time the "savers" are using the lounges only for storage of their towel, shoes, books, etc. I bet a lot of times, those same lounges could be used by several different people during the time the chair hogs are not using them.

I have decided that there are people who leave their belongings on the lounges so they can go back to their cabin, go to an event like trivia, or wander around the ship and still come back to the lounge they staked out. Would they do that at one of the tables in the buffet?

Archived