Is it normal to suddenly be terrified instead of excited?

mrssoexcited

Tomorrow (OMG) we go on our first cruise. After 13 months of waiting and counting down, it is finally here. I have been bouncing off the walls for the last few weeks, so excited. But now I am terrified - I am practically hyperventilating!! I don't quite know whats freaked me out: maybe being sure I havent missed anything, stressing about the weather, worried about sea sickness. Disaster movies keep running through my head: Air Crash Investigation (we are flying from Sydney to Brisbane) Poseidon, Titanic.:o Please tell me these are normal pre cruise nerves and I will have a great time?:eek:

Poseidon was on the night before our last cruise which we found amusing. Now if Titanic is on the night before the next I reckon I am doomed for disaster LOL. But really I felt like that before the last one and it wasnt until the morning after boarding that I fully calmed down. The bingo win helped!!!

Dont stress too much and enjoy it. You will be fine

Megan

My cruise is just over 2 weeks away, and I'm just starting to move into the worrying stage. It doesn't help that I've been reading about the tragic case of Dianne Brimble. Also recently there was the woman who went overboard in the early hours of the morning, what if it wasn't suicide? She may have been pushed. I'm worrying about the plane being delayed going, and the ship being delayed on return. Our plane tickets were bought during a sale with very strict conditions. The flights can't even be changed with a fee. Then there's the fact that it's hurricane season, at the very least there's an increased chance of rain. What if there's an injury? I think this is normal, after much anticipation, and investment of time and money, most people might worry about the possibility of problems arising. If we worried so much at the time of booking, far fewer people would be enjoying holidays.

I also did the foolish thing of going on YouTube and watching video of ships coping with huge seas and the view from inside as people and furniture goes flying across the rooms. It was scary stuff - loved it at the time but now its all I can think about:( OK big deep breath, CHILL OUT, I have been looking forward to it for too long to upset myself at this point - I have so much info from all you guys I will be the best prepared newbie on board - thanks to everyone for your help.:o:):D

Based on the law of averages most planes only crash once.In the case of cruise ships very few actually sink more than twice.This being because the metal used on today's ships by law contains approx 10% floatillium,a rare element used to maintain buoyancy.Just a word of warning.Should the water around the boat have a greenish tinge,this shows that the floatillium is breaking down and chemically changing to gurgillium....from whence the the famous old nautical term comes "going down the gurgle"

Try not to worry too much. Probably the only thing that you need to be prepared for is seasickness, so just make sure you have some medication with you.(and take 1st tablet tonight then again in the morning).

If you forget anything, you can buy most things on board (ask your cabin steward first ...he may have it) or you can just wait till you get to Noumea.:rolleyes:

I'm sure you will have a great ime. ....just take some deep breaths and think of that cocktail at sailaway....haha:D

Have a wonderful cruise and come back addicted!!!!

Tomorrow (OMG) we go on our first cruise. After 13 months of waiting and counting down, it is finally here. I have been bouncing off the walls for the last few weeks, so excited. But now I am terrified - I am practically hyperventilating!! I don't quite know whats freaked me out: maybe being sure I havent missed anything, stressing about the weather, worried about sea sickness. Disaster movies keep running through my head: Air Crash Investigation (we are flying from Sydney to Brisbane) Poseidon, Titanic.:o Please tell me these are normal pre cruise nerves and I will have a great time?:eek:

Nah no need to worry , you are normal. They are just the jitters of being mum and having to get everything organised.

I literally worried myself into a migraine 20 minutes after getting on the ship for our first cruise. Took my medication and was up there at sailaway with not a care in the world.

5pm tomorrow you will be wondering what you were worried about.

As long as you have tickets, passports, credit cards and family, you are good to go, You can buy a few things on board.

The weather you cannot control. Take your seasickness tablets before you go....AND quit watching those videos and YOUtubes you crazy thing....:D:D:D

My cruise is just over 2 weeks away, and I'm just starting to move into the worrying stage. It doesn't help that I've been reading about the tragic case of Dianne Brimble. Also recently there was the woman who went overboard in the early hours of the morning, what if it wasn't suicide? She may have been pushed. I'm worrying about the plane being delayed going, and the ship being delayed on return. Our plane tickets were bought during a sale with very strict conditions. The flights can't even be changed with a fee. Then there's the fact that it's hurricane season, at the very least there's an increased chance of rain. What if there's an injury? I think this is normal, after much anticipation, and investment of time and money, most people might worry about the possibility of problems arising. If we worried so much at the time of booking, far fewer people would be enjoying holidays.

Hi Debbie,

You will have a great time believe me everything will be fine. A friend of mine in Melbourne also on this cruise. We had a lot of nerves before our cruise on Pacific Dawns maiden voyage and all was well, so don't worry and make sure you leave the ship in good condition as we are on her on the 20th.

The security on these ships now is very strong with up to 500 cameras on board. So if you are out of your cabin and in a public area you will be seen and be safe.

I forgot to answer your last question.."will I have a good time?"

Only you can answer that. You can read reviews on here from the same cruise where one cruiser will say they had a terrible time and another will say they had the best time.

That answer is one you have some control over.

Have fun and I am sure you will have a great time.

I must be strange - I love watching Air Crash Investigation, Seconds from Disaster, etc etc - they all help me understand how it all works, and actually reduce the worry.

If I see something else crash or ride rough waves, it's less likely to happen to what I'm on or in.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. You'll be too excited about being on board to be worried!

Talking about Poseidon - in the original movie there's a scene where the woman singer in the bar is singing "There's Got to Be A Morning After".. as the clock heads towards midnight.

On our cruise on Pacific Dawn we were in Bengal Bar at 5 to 12, watching a woman sing in the bar- I suddenly wondered if her next number was going to be There's Got to be a Morning After! :)

You're going on a fantastic holiday - why would worry come into it at all?? Relax and enjoy..

I must be strange - I love watching Air Crash Investigation, Seconds from Disaster, etc etc - they all help me understand how it all works, and actually reduce the worry.

If I see something else crash or ride rough waves, it's less likely to happen to what I'm on or in.

Yes, we also watch Air Crash Investigation - on the whacky principle that the more crashes we watch on the TV, the less likely we are to be actually involved in one! :D

To the OP - once you are on board, I am sure you will have a great time.

Based on the law of averages most planes only crash once.In the case of cruise ships very few actually sink more than twice.This being because the metal used on today's ships by law contains approx 10% floatillium,a rare element used to maintain buoyancy.Just a word of warning.Should the water around the boat have a greenish tinge,this shows that the floatillium is breaking down and chemically changing to gurgillium....from whence the the famous old nautical term comes "going down the gurgle"

floatillium... ha ha! I like that..

I thought that all ships had Byzanium in them - at least Titanic did, which is why they raised it in that dodgy 70's movie :D!

I must be strange - I love watching Air Crash Investigation, Seconds from Disaster, etc etc -

I love watching those too and I've always been a disaster movie fanatic. I first saw the original Poseidon Adventure at the movies when I was about 12 and god knows how many times I saw it before I ever went on a ship. I think I've seen every movie made about the titanic. I loved the one with Leo & Kate in it but I also loved A night to Remember.

And how many people remember Juggernaut?:)

Based on the law of averages most planes only crash once.In the case of cruise ships very few actually sink more than twice.

does that sound funny to anyone else.. :p I know I must be reading it wrong but the wrong way is quite amusing.. Id like to see the few ships that sink more than once let alone twice :eek: LOL :)

Bon Voyage...what you are experiencing is the totally over the top excitement of your first cruise..the pre cursor to a total cruise addiction. Savor every moment every cruise is special but none will top the wonderful sense of excitement that you will get tomorrow.....

Smooth seas!:):):):):)

thank you all - I will be sure to blog when I get back and I know I'm about to become a cruise addict just like the rest of you tragics!!!:D

Breathe in .... Breathe out .... (repeat!) Are you feeling better yet???

Mrssoexcited - I hope you have a great cruise - as everyone has says you'll be fine! Just relax and enjoy --- if you've forgotten anything you'll either get by, or be able to buy a replacement on board or somewhere (just double check your tickets/passports/prescription medication:)).

Hope you sleep well tonight! Make sure you tell us all about your cruise when you get back!

Enjoy!:):D

Hi Debbie,

Only when the ship started pulling away from the wharf on my first cruise did I go into "WHAT AM I DOING ON HERE" mode. While I reasoned that there wasn't much chance of hitting an iceberg in the south pacific, I felt a slight panic lying in my bunk the first night. By the next morning I was over it. There was soooo much going on to get involved in. Relax and enjoy your time on the ship. Like me you will probably be eager to sign up for another after this one. HAVE A GREAT TIME

Regards Julie

Talking about Poseidon - in the original movie there's a scene where the woman singer in the bar is singing "There's Got to Be A Morning After".. as the clock heads towards midnight.

On our cruise on Pacific Dawn we were in Bengal Bar at 5 to 12, watching a woman sing in the bar- I suddenly wondered if her next number was going to be There's Got to be a Morning After! :)

Fortunately for all of us onboard that cruise it wasn't - she sang something else !!!

But on the very first cruise I went on on Pacific Sky, the first thing I heard as I stepped onto the ship for the first time was Celine Dion wailing out 'My Heart Will Go On', which is of course the theme song to Titanic!

You've certainly chosen a very appropriate username. You post oozes with excitement, but don't let the "worry attacks" get out of hand. I think this happens when you've "crossed your T's and dotted your I's". I'm sure you have planned your cruise very thouroughly. I'm the same when it comes to organising. I don't suppose it helps to have 14 months to fuss over it either. You'll have a awesome experience....enjoy.

Cheers,

Anna

Archived