Update on our 'no cabin at the pier' problem

Carol_Hill

Some of you may remember the problem we had in January when we went to board the NCL Sky and were told that there were no cabins available for us. Here is the link to that thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=899881&highlight=

Our travel agent was in contact with NCL while we were waiting for a cabin and since then, and this week she received a letter from NCL offering us a $200 OBC on a future sailing. I haven't received the actual letter and voucher from my TA yet, and I was unable to figure out how to post the scanned in copy of the letter she emailed me here. So I am typing in one section of the letter.

One section of the letter stated:

"We want to assure you that your client's stateroom situation and the delay in rectifying the problem were unusual. Our staffs (sp!! :) ) are trained to handle any type of stateroom problem, in a polite and professional manner, so that our guests can embark and begin their cruise vacation on a positive note. We regret this was not the case for your clients and extend our sincere apology for any lapse in service extended to them. "

The letter concludes with a $200 OBC for a future sailing. I was seriously HOT at the time, but am basically over it now, and think this was a pretty good apology, or at least as good as we're going to get. I am really more pleased that they actually ADMITTED a lack of service in our case, than anything else. Frankly, as a result of a lot of other things that were not satisfactory to us on this cruise, I don't think NCL is the cruise line for us and we are back on Princess where we belong in the fall. My vacation time and money is very precious to me, so I don't know that we will use the OBC at all. However, we might use it IF they start running some stupid cheap sales on the Sky again, say in September or something, just to get away.

In any event, I thought it fair that we post this update.

Depends on what the issues were, I suppose and whether they felt it was their fault or not. In this circumstance, I feel this is an acknowledgement that they handled it badly.. (Whether that's what they really feel or not is anyone's guess! :) )

Thanks for coming back to tell us what happened, especially after you were "beat up" a bit in the original posting.

As to the $200 OBC, not sure if I would be pleased or upset at them all over again. I have mixed feelings. I would guesss most people would just file it in the circular file, and I could not blame you.

Though I think I was somewhat mis-interpreted (new word?) in some of my earlier postings, I do feel that NCL treated you poorly. You did get a cabin eventually, so they did not "high and dry" you. But, they did handle it very poorly when they really could have done a few little things to comfort you as they worked out whatever was going on behind the scenes. And surely, there were some things going on that will never come to light.

May your future travels be pleasant.

I did not read the entire first thread, only your posting stating what happened. I do think that would be horrific and would ruin our first day of a cruise for sure. I do think it was an NCL mix up and not an issue wth the TA. That is just my gut feeling though. And I can see why that would turn you away from ever sailing NCL again. I have said several times in postings that it is not my job to try to sway people to NCL, as I am not on NCL's payroll. So although I am sickened that your cruise started out on such a bad foot, it doesn't personally matter to me if you sail NCL again or not. I do want to say that I am glad NCL offered you the OBC and that I also think that it could possibly happen with any cruise line you sail with. Don't get me wrong, I understand that you probably realize that it could happen with other cruiselines, but once bitten twice shy. So I totally understand your position on this. I do also think it was very nice of you to come back and post the resolution of the issue.

garycarla--when my TA called me and told me that she had a call from NCL about our situation and that they were going to be offering us some compensation, I said 'that's nice, unless they give me money BACK, which isn't gonna happen, tell them to take it and stick it where the sun don't shine". Interestingly, the date on the letter was January 20, but my TA JUST received it on Tuesday, February 10. I actually do think some fairly high up people at NCL were involved, primarily because my TA knows the President personally. They give out $200 OBC to everybody and their brother these days, just for booking, it seems, so the OBC doesn't blow my skirt up. I was actually more impressed with the letter, in that I think they actually did acknowledge their screwup, which is the important thing to me, not the OBC, which I really doubt we will use. As I said, I MIGHT use it on another real cheap weekend cruise, but no way would I go on a week cruise on NCL at this point.

terrymtex--I felt it was appropriate to post a follow-up, as I know everybody comes on these boards and makes a big fuss about this or that, and then if or when they are offered something, you never hear about it.

We have not had "no cabin at the pier", but did have one interesting experience. This was on a Royal Caribbean Alaska cruise 7 years ago. We flew to Seattle, and had purchased the airport to cruise terminal transfer. There were 6 of us. We got checked in with RC, got our ID cards, etc, and were sent out to wait for a limo. We waited and waited and waited. Finally, the limo showed, with a surly driver who complained about our amount of luggage, which was not at all excessive. We got to the ship with little time to spare.

I was the group leader for 24 people. I had asked for 2 tables for 12. We did not get that. I went to talk to the person in charge of table assignments. He informed me that I was a "no show." He would not change anything.

When we got to the first port, the six of us were not allowed off the ship. We had to spend 30 minutes at the reception desk while they figured out that yes, we really WERE on the ship.

Thanks for coming back to tell us what happened, especially after you were "beat up" a bit in the original posting.

As to the $200 OBC, not sure if I would be pleased or upset at them all over again. I have mixed feelings. I would guesss most people would just file it in the circular file, and I could not blame you.

Though I think I was somewhat mis-interpreted (new word?) in some of my earlier postings, I do feel that NCL treated you poorly. You did get a cabin eventually, so they did not "high and dry" you. But, they did handle it very poorly when they really could have done a few little things to comfort you as they worked out whatever was going on behind the scenes. And surely, there were some things going on that will never come to light.

May your future travels be pleasant.

I agree, I think the letter they sent you is great, but I do not think they are being very generous at all!!!!!

IMO:rolleyes:

I really don't have any idea what kind of compensation they ever give people for things, as this is the first time in our 30 some cruises that we ever had an issue of this magnitude, or actually any kind of a major issue. I doubt we will use the OBC anyway, but just posted this note to give a coda to the original thread.

Carol, Yes, I remember your original thread and agree that you were treated poorly and glad you received a letter from them admitting it.

Although, I mostly cruise NCL (for many reasons mainly price, itinerary and FS when DH and I are not traveling with others) we too have had issues with them. One couple in our group refuses to cruise with them again and another couple puts NCL at the bottom of the list.

I guess if someone in a similar situation is ambivalent they may use the OBC. I agree with you, and your situation would be the last straw for us too.

Archived