Insight on Chanakaab Park?

cjb1879

We're thinking about visiting Chanakaab while in Cozumel on our July cruise on the Carnival Liberty. However, I was wondering whether there is a regular beach area there? All the pictures I've seen show a sandy area on top of a sort of rocky promontory next to the ocean- perhaps this is the snorkeling area. This is fine for my sister and I, but our mom won't be snorkeling and I was hoping there was a regular (zero-entry) beach for her to enjoy while we snorkel.

Any help? Thanks!

The beach club we went to was not free, but it was only about $15 to enjoy it the whole day and just go to the beach. They also had other packages that included snorkeling and clear bottom kayaks at prices much less than the cruise excursion. It was called Playa Uvas. I'm not sure about what is offered for free in other parts of the park.

We're thinking about visiting Chanakaab while in Cozumel on our July cruise on the Carnival Liberty. However, I was wondering whether there is a regular beach area there? All the pictures I've seen show a sandy area on top of a sort of rocky promontory next to the ocean- perhaps this is the snorkeling area. This is fine for my sister and I, but our mom won't be snorkeling and I was hoping there was a regular (zero-entry) beach for her to enjoy while we snorkel.

Any help? Thanks!

There is a beach you can walk into right near the snorkeling area. The steps going to the snorkeling area are pretty tricky. So becareful using them. There is also a swimming pool if that would work better for your mom. Plenty of chairs at the beach and pool. We've done the dolphin encounter and had a blast. This last time we just snorkeled and swam. One of the restaurants there is quite good. The park is beautiful. The grounds are well kept and very beautiful. Restrooms are immaculate and you can get a locker to keep you stuff in. If you go to their web site you can ge additional information on packages and what you get with them. We love it there.

We're thinking about visiting Chanakaab while in Cozumel on our July cruise on the Carnival Liberty. However, I was wondering whether there is a regular beach area there?
You mean a beach where the sand goes out into the water? Chankanaab really doesn't have that. There is only a small "lagoon" for little kids where the sand goes into the water.

All the pictures I've seen show a sandy area on top of a sort of rocky promontory next to the ocean- perhaps this is the snorkeling area.
Nope, that's pretty much it.

Here it is:

14Chanakaab-shore1.jpg

15Chanakaab-shore2.jpg

Thanks for the info- this is helpful. One last question. Approximately what was the depth where the stairs led into the water? Would she be able to stand in that (she isn't a particularly strong swimmer)? Thanks again!

We went last year with our then 3, 6 and 10 year old kids and all of them were able to get into the swim area on their own. We had a great time and spent most of the day in the water swimming. They also have a large are of Mayan Ruin replicas which we thoroughly enjoyed. BTW there are also lots of iguanas roaming free which are fun to watch, but sometimes startle you! We enjoyed every minute of it!

Thanks for the info- this is helpful. One last question. Approximately what was the depth where the stairs led into the water? Would she be able to stand in that (she isn't a particularly strong swimmer)? Thanks again!

Sorry, I can't answer that question.

It's very difficult to enter the water at the stairs as others have posted. Once in, there are big rocks, boulders, that are slippery and hard to stand on. Added to that is the wave action that is trying to smash you back into the stairs. It gets deep very fast and unless you can maintain a footing on those rocks, you'd have problems. The lagoon area is nearby. It doesn't get deep at all, maybe thigh to waist deep. There is a barrier there that I have seen people go over that leads to deeper water. If she just wants to laze around, the lagoon would be fine, and there are chairs there to "set up camp".

Sewut

Are there life vests available for the kids? If they do the dolphin encounter can they keep the vest on while in the lagoon are swimming? If they aren't hand to get or cheap to rent, seems like we should bring our own.

No the water is not shallow enough to stand there. Some people stand on the stairs and hold onto the railings. However, that is a bad idea and a bit rude as it makes it more difficult for others to get into and out of the water. They are not true stairs, but more or less large rocks that act like stairs.

Archived