Explorer review 02/01 Royally sweet but sour grapes too!

Lushpuppy

Alhoa43 and DWjoe..consider yourself officially invited:D

Deal is though, one of you got to take 9618

Will watch those roll calls, maybe one day some cruise who knows

If we get enough of us....we can all split the cost of 9618, and then play that piano to our hearts desire!:D

If my DH and I could ever have the chance to be able to afford the RS, he would be playing that piano, and singing a lot! Oh....I wish! He could be your entertainment.

Boy, it sounds like so much fun! I have such a long way to go.

Thanks for the invite!:)

If we get enough of us....we can all split the cost of 9618, and then play that piano to our hearts desire!:D

If my DH and I could ever have the chance to be able to afford the RS, he would be playing that piano, and singing a lot! Oh....I wish! He could be your entertainment.

Boy, it sounds like so much fun! I have such a long way to go.

Thanks for the invite!:)

Nah, I have a better idea..lets all split the cost of the RS ESPECIALLY if your DH plays piano:D

Mr&MrsLushpuppy it was wonderful to meet and be embraced by you and your family.

We opted out of the 2nd formal night... so sadly we missed the great event revolving around your daughter's engagement. You are a talented wordsmith so in that manner we were able to 'experience it' through your words.

OMG your tales of tubing on Dominica reflect mine - save for the busted toe and lip. It sure did awaken my senses for the rest of the excursion. :eek: I have a picture of that fateful first rapid... if I had only known what lay ahead..... YIKES!! I would have done it, I just would have not been so nonchelant about it.

Remember....."Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out & loudly proclaiming--WOW--WHAT A RIDE!"

Bottom line- we had a great time on this trip - more great times than not - so we will take the best of times and replay them in our thoughts. :rolleyes:

We second that. We could not have asked to meet more kind and enjoyable people! :)

Oh you guys you have me with tears running down my cheeks now. Dont forget - I love the BONES of you all! See you soon we hope big x x x x

To Lushpuppy: Why pick on DJ Savio? He would have played any of your requests if he had them on file. He played our requests and wants all the guests to have a good time. After midnight, he generally plays the type of music that is heard in any major Club throughout the world.

Lushpuppy,

I loved reading your review. You obviously took a lot of time to write it and I thought it was great! I'm sorry about the way things turned out and it is a shame that you didn't get to have your final party. (especially because it could have been an engagement party) I really don't think you did anything wrong! This is a simple thing that RCI could fix. If they have volume controls on the stereo system and piano, then why don't they fix it where it can't go beyond a certain level that would not "disturb" others?? If I book a room by the disco and it bothers me, do you think they are going to make everyone leave? NO! This is crazy. You did NOTHING wrong! Hope I get to sail with you someday.

Jen

I have been avoiding this but i feel the need to comment briefly..

1) i was sailing with my sr citizen mobility imparied mother...this too could be one of our last big trips but that's no one's business...kyriecat, you are 100% correct in your analysis....

2) i chose the location due to proximity to the elevators....AND FYI on Voyager class ships, the hump balconies are NOT larger...this is only on Radiance class IIRC....

3) i have never heard anything from above when i have been below cabins...i HAVE heard things being under the WJ/Pool and above the karaoke bar (incidentally they DID tell them to turn it down)

sound DOES travel through the floors...dwjoe, you also provide correct insight....

pam_1024 i agree 100%

and there were no other cabins that we could have moved to......

those who said they were not there..you are right, you were NOT in my cabin...security was....more times than i can recall.......we lost an entire night's sleep...i am glad this didn't cause me to have to take my mother to the medical facility..............again, no one knows my situation but ME....no one else was there....but i have no reason to lie.....

hopefully when others are senior citizens you will understand what it is like.....and i hope you learn what it is like to look after someone....it isn't easy...and i wanted this time to be special for us...unfortunatley, our vacation was ruined...

that's all i will say on the subject...flame away...........

1) i was sailing with my sr citizen mobility imparied mother...this too could be one of our last big trips but that's no one's business...kyriecat, you are 100% correct in your analysis....

2) i chose the location due to proximity to the elevators....AND FYI on Voyager class ships, the hump balconies are NOT larger...this is only on Radiance class IIRC....

3) i have never heard anything from above when i have been below cabins...i HAVE heard things being under the WJ/Pool and above the karaoke bar (incidentally they DID tell them to turn it down)

sound DOES travel through the floors...dwjoe, you also provide correct insight....

pam_1024 i agree 100%

those who said they were not there..you are right, you were NOT in my cabin...security was....more times than i can recall.......we lost an entire night's sleep...i am glad this didn't cause me to have to take my mother to the medical facility..............again, no one knows my situation but ME....no one else was there....but i have no reason to lie.....

hopefully when others are senior citizens you will understand what it is like.....and i hope you learn what it is like to look after someone....it isn't easy...and i wanted this time to be special for us...unfortunatley, our vacation was ruined...

You don't have to be a senior or have a disabilty to get annoyed by rude, loud people making a ruckus above you. I would have called security every single time I found the noise unacceptable and demanded they do something. I would not put up with not having enjoyment of my cabin because of something curable by RCL.

WOW... when I posted my original comment to this thread regarding those cabins below and to the side of the RS being able to enjoy their cabins, I had NO IDEA that another cruise critic member was in the vicinity and could attest to the accuracy of the OP. This sheds an entirely new light on this thread. I am very sorry that your trip was so impacted by the cabin above yours. That is not only sad, but it also does NOT speak well for RCI.....

You will not get any flaming from me.

WOW... when I posted my original comment to this thread regarding those cabins below and to the side of the RS being able to enjoy their cabins, I had NO IDEA that another cruise critic member was in the vicinity and could attest to the accuracy of the OP. This sheds an entirely new light on this thread. I am very sorry that your trip was so impacted by the cabin above yours. That is not only sad, but it also does NOT speak well for RCI.....

You will not get any flaming from me.

Actually no - not to the side and below! There were NO COMPLAINTS from anyone either side of us and NO complaints from the other THREE cabins below us two of which were directly under the two rooms where we could have played music. Only complaint came from 9618

pam_1024 i agree 100%

It's a shame that your vacation had to be ruined by people with so little regard for others.

Lushpuppy,

I loved reading your review. You obviously took a lot of time to write it and I thought it was great! I'm sorry about the way things turned out and it is a shame that you didn't get to have your final party. (especially because it could have been an engagement party) I really don't think you did anything wrong! This is a simple thing that RCI could fix. If they have volume controls on the stereo system and piano, then why don't they fix it where it can't go beyond a certain level that would not "disturb" others?? If I book a room by the disco and it bothers me, do you think they are going to make everyone leave? NO! This is crazy. You did NOTHING wrong! Hope I get to sail with you someday.

Jen

Thanks Jen! Yes totally agree and this is the suggestion we made to them at our meeting. We have come across volume limits before. They kind of laughed it off tho have to say - dont think its something they will do but who knows. In all honesty though I would say we had the volume loud on the one night at 7pm but that late night - nah we were talking, eating etc whilst one at a time was having swing dance lessons with a fellow cc on the carpeted lounge. It wasn t exactly a rave so I would doubt that the music would have reached i max volume anyway. As only one cabin out of potentially six complained can only assume they are extra sensitive to noise. And jen - add yourself to that invite list! :)

pam_1024 i agree 100%

Thats it - withdrawing my hand of friendship - springstein is now officially OFF the playlist :)

Thanks Jen! Yes totally agree and this is the suggestion we made to them at our meeting. We have come across volume limits before. They kind of laughed it off tho have to say - dont think its something they will do but who knows. In all honesty though I would say we had the volume loud on the one night at 7pm but that late night - nah we were talking, eating etc whilst one at a time was having swing dance lessons with a fellow cc on the carpeted lounge. It wasn t exactly a rave so I would doubt that the music would have reached i max volume anyway. As only one cabin out of potentially six complained can only assume they are extra sensitive to noise. And jen - add yourself to that invite list! :)

Only one cabin had the balls to complain, the others suffered in silence.

Meg, sorry for the major frustration you experienced on your vacation.

I agree it's not appropriate to question your motives for choosing your cabin and you are under no obligation to move.

I've been in the same situation... loud party next door keeping me awake... I am a light sleeper and am easily disturbed by noise.

Your posts are mainly a plain statement of what happened to you... thanks for avoiding drama.

Firstly, Lushpuppy and Meg, thank you both for your reviews, we are sailing on EOS in April and your comments and observations have been very insightful.

Regarding the partying issue, there are always two sides to every story and noise does carry, sometimes in unexpected ways.

Now, FYI no green-eyed monster here – we cruise in the Penthouse Suite on Celebrity’s Millennium class ships (I really recommend this, the wrap round balcony really makes a huge difference)

I agree that the volume of the piano is a problem, we ourselves don’t use it simply because of this. However, whilst it may be considered a little too early in the morning, I wouldn’t make a fuss about anyone playing it at 8.30am and there is certainly nothing wrong with 7pm for goodness sake.

However, what time did the complaints about the party start? If it were around midnight, then I would consider this to be over sensitive, however if you were still partying at 3am and later, then I too would kick-up a fuss. It is an ‘entertainment’ space, however, even if it only occurred the one night, you should still be sensitive and considerate of others. It is possible that the other cabins didn’t complain because either they didn’t like to, or like yourselves they are party people and were still out and about. Either way, if you were loud enough to keep others awake after 1am, then IMO it is inconsiderate, regardless of what type of cabin/suite you are staying in.

You state that Guest Relations agreed that the complaints were unfounded, however it is their job to try and keep everyone happy, they more than likely told Meg that she was right to complain and that they would ‘have a word with you’ – this is how they work.

Meg – I think you saying that your ‘vacation was ruined’ is unfounded, particularly as you make is clear from your excellent review that you had a good time – in your words ‘this cruise was a lot of fun’

You don't have to be a senior or have a disabilty to get annoyed by rude, loud people making a ruckus above you. I would have called security every single time I found the noise unacceptable and demanded they do something. I would not put up with not having enjoyment of my cabin because of something curable by RCL.

Agree that this issue is not limited to seniors, I am also a light sleeper and have been in this terrible situation. But there is a "fair use" concept. If the next door neighbor wakes me up it doesn't automatically follow they're at fault. Like I said to Lushpuppy, it's a combination of 1) their noise 2) soundproofing 3) my sensitivity. The ideal is to have great soundproofing then this issue won't arise. But if it's a question of 1 vs 3 then (barring obvious cases) it's not a question of right and wrong, but of opposing rights, as Cruisekeeper said. And there's no perfect solution to that.

However, what time did the complaints about the party start? If it were around midnight, then I would consider this to be over sensitive, however if you were still partying at 3am and later, then I too would kick-up a fuss. It is an ‘entertainment’ space, however, even if it only occurred the one night, you should still be sensitive and considerate of others. It is possible that the other cabins didn’t complain because either they didn’t like to, or like yourselves they are party people and were still out and about. Either way, if you were loud enough to keep others awake after 1am, then IMO it is inconsiderate, regardless of what type of cabin/suite you are staying in.
I'm impressed! You travel with some hard-partying seniors if that is typical hours for them! My Paw Paw is in bed by 10 PM but he gets up before 6 AM everyday. His hearing still works great and he's a bear if he doesn't get his rest! For that matter, I've had a few excursions, mostly in Europe, where we had to be ready to leave the ship by 7 AM and didn't get back until after 7 PM. The next day, it was the same thing - up by 5:45 AM to get ready and eat before the excursion. Those nights I was in bed almost right after late seating dinner (so around 10:30 or 11) and I would have been a real bear if someone was waking me up with noise.

Agree that this issue is not limited to seniors, I am also a light sleeper and have been in this terrible situation. But there is a "fair use" concept. If the next door neighbor wakes me up it doesn't automatically follow they're at fault. Like I said to Lushpuppy, it's a combination of 1) their noise 2) soundproofing 3) my sensitivity. The ideal is to have great soundproofing then this issue won't arise. But if it's a question of 1 vs 3 then (barring obvious cases) it's not a question of right and wrong, but of opposing rights, as Cruisekeeper said. And there's no perfect solution to that.

Posted earlier the noise was 1am -4 am not a reasonable hour.

Eh - were you hiding in the Butlers pantry then? How do YOU know you were not there!

Out of curiosity, what time did security make contact with you regarding the nosie? It was I belief at midnight you decided to take the party back to your suite.

I, too, am an extremely light sleeper therefore I wear ear plugs every night on the cruise, not only so I don't hear my beloved husband snoring ;) but so I can't hear noise from anyone in the hallway, above us, below us and to the sides.

But in regards to the noise level coming from the royal suite, and disturbing someone else, the noise makers should have been more considerate of others around them. If the OP brought the party back to their suite after midnight then I feel they were rude to continue partying that late at night.

My husband and I enjoy camping and we sit by a campfire almost every evening, sometimes with other people but most all campgrounds have "quiet hours" usually from 11:00 PM to 8:00 AM give or take an hour each way. You have to turn your music down to a level where it can't be heard at neighboring campsites, keep your voices low when talking, etc. and we've heard of people being told to leave the campground if they would not comply with the quiet hours.

But really it's just common sense and courtesy not to be partying in your room after midnight, where the sound level will probably annoy others. Just because someone pays for the royal suite does not give them the right to infringe on other people's right to be sleeping after midnight on any given night.

Archived