Are you First class or Steerage?

I will start out by saying that I love Royal and would not sail with any other but really. We now have 2 classes on each ship...First Class which is suite guests and lower class which is everyone else on the ship. The new perks for suite guests don’t bother me other than the reserved seating by the pool and for all the shows.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=62966135.blog

Outside of reserved pool-side seating, I don't see anything on the list that would bother me or most others. Anyone staying in a hotel - if you rent a suite you always get perks. As one who, when attending a concert often ends up in the "cheap seats", I'm not bothered, but I do think a cruiser looking for a lounge chair, and not being able to find one while empty chairs exist in the "suite" area, will quite likely be aggravated.

This is the same as in any walk of life. If you can afford the perks they are there. Why worry about what other people are receiving and why not focus on what you have? Just compare the prices of what you paid and the prices of the suites, Personally I think suite passengers should receive much more.

I have noticed that people that live in million dollar homes often have alot more perks than I do, so what?

If you buy it, they will come.

My two non official cents.

We book a jr suite because of the space and extra cruise credit. Any extra perk is fine.;)

These additional perks only pertain to GS and higher. The Jr. Suites are not considered suites for these perks. The additional space and credit is nice however.

Gregg

I am steerage:)I havent booked a suite and dont plan on it...the extra $ just isnt worth it to us...we dont spend enough time in the cabins and the extra $ isnt worth the perks...but as always, just my opinion...

Same here. If I had the $x,000's it costs to live in a room FOR A WEEK, I would STILL rather take that money and pay a little extra on my mortgage, and be able to live in several rooms (read: my house) FOR MONTHS.

And, I would still have enough $$ left over to get on that same cruiseship and enjoy the same shows, beaches, meals, and bars with the '1st class' people.

I am steerage:)I havent booked a suite and dont plan on it...the extra $ just isnt worth it to us...we dont spend enough time in the cabins and the extra $ isnt worth the perks...but as always, just my opinion...

I agree. We did 2 cruises this year and have 3 more booked. I would rather have the inside stateroom and cruise more. We get real good perks with our diamond status. There are so many nice areas on the ships to sit and relax.

Jan

Not a biggie. We had some warning that this would be starting in March (we discussed it on our Indy roll call). So I tried to pay attention to the perks that they had already rolled out. The "Gold" sea pass cards for suite guests, yep, they've already started. And those in a JS have silver cards. The rest of the steerage are white cards. :p (It may be different for D or D+, I didn't get a chance to ask)

I had a GS on Freedom and a JS Aft on Indy. I preferred the JS on Indy, hands down. So I have no desire to spend the money and get a fruit tray. I can get my own fruit. :D

Those in a suite can have the CL and pool chairs. I'll keep my money. :D

I confess, I am booked in a GS for the upcoming cruise.:o

I'm really, really claustrophobic (elevators even bug me) and sensitive to motion sickness (I wear one of those electric nerve stimulators on my arm so I don't puke--made the mistake of taking it off on last cruise, BAD IDEA). My Mom, husband, and DD are all traveling with me. Cost-wise it was a good deal for the space because we got a senior citizen rate due to my Mom.

I'd rather book inside and cruise more often, but that just doesn't work for us.:mad:

If I promise to actually use the deck chairs will I be forgiven?:eek:

Outside of reserved pool-side seating, I don't see anything on the list that would bother me or most others. Anyone staying in a hotel - if you rent a suite you always get perks. As one who, when attending a concert often ends up in the "cheap seats", I'm not bothered, but I do think a cruiser looking for a lounge chair, and not being able to find one while empty chairs exist in the "suite" area, will quite likely be aggravated.

On Freedom on 2/8 sailing thepool attendants were in full force watching all the seats reserved by the "hogs". They were timing them and unless you were in the immediate area (i.e. pool) they removed items to open up seats. You did not have to worry about giving up your chair to go eat or whatever, as there were almost always chairs available when you returned.

Didn't even notice designated "sweet" seating area(s) by the pool(s) on recent Indy cruise (were there any?)...too busy having way too much fun on this sensational boat to be fussing over reserved seats for the elites (vacant or not) - a week cruise zooms by too fast to be spending time getting spun up about anything so trivial, unless it leaves people standing while special seats are unused. We were always able to find lounge chairs whenever/wherever we wanted, including during that must see belly-flop competition.

Then tell them to book a suite. :)

Or "let them eat cake" I guess. It flies directly in the face of our experiences in cruising for nearly three decades. They may charge a pretty penny for those suites, but the majority of their income on every cruise comes, I suspect, from those who book all those non-suite staterooms. The perks in the form of extra room and amenities in the suites are IMHO sufficient recompense for the cost of booking a suite.

Establishing a class system on a mainstream cruiseline is fraught with possible problems and won't do much to contribute to a happy environment among all cruisers onboard.:rolleyes:

I am booked in my first JS on the EX out of Bayonne. I thought JS also received priority boarding but the article at the top of the thread does not list it as such. Anyone know for sure? I was pretty certain that a JS did receive priority boarding...

I'm a VERY SIMPLE person. In fact, it would embarrass me even to have a butler and concierge, so I wouldn't take a suite if it were offered to me.

That said, there is one point that bothers me:

-- Elite keycards. Passengers in Grand Suites or higher category cabins will receive distinctive gold SeaPass cards that will tip off crew to their elite status.

The rest of the perks are, I believe, fair because people in suites are paying a whole lot more than I pay for an inside guarantee. The Elite Keycards, however, seem to say that those wonderful staff members who treat me "special" maybe won't be doing so in the future. JMHO.

Archived