Are you First class or Steerage?

The reserved chairs for suite passengers wouldn't take away from the other passengers either, if they enforced their own policy on reserving chairs.

But... If they enforced the policy and there were plenty of chairs to go around, then having a reserved chair wouldn't be much of a perk, now would it?

With that (very twisted) mindset, one must assume that NOT enforcing the chair hog rules is a deliberate no-cost effort on Royal Caribbean's part to improve this perk for suite passengers. :rolleyes:

For those that didn't get it -- I'M KIDDING!

Originally Posted by YSTim:

don't need a robe, I can go around the ship...

...to find my own chocolates.

For a split second there, I was worried about what was coming next!

I guess that serves me right for not checking the post to see I typed a period between the words chocolate and if (as opposed to the comma it should have). ;):D

It's a zero sum game once the entitlements creep into common areas/activities...as the perk list increases for some (more & more plusses to lure the big spenders), it means more take-aways for those down the food chain (more & more minuses)...question becomes, how much can be slowly stolen away from the commoners before there's rebellion (lost budget conscious loyal cruisers)? Perhaps we'll soon be seeing BYOC?:rolleyes:

I am not usually at the pool; however, I do see that this may be a perk to some. My question is, what exactly do they qualify as "VIP seating?"

On the Voyager and Freedom class they are reserving the tiered sections on either side of the pool bar. At least that's what has been reported. Personally I don't care for those seats and unfortunately I don't think a lot of other do. My fear is that the suite passengers won't sit there leaving their seats empty and will end up taking away seats from those of us in 'steerage'.

Now, they have the right to sit wherever they want just as I believe everyone does in the public areas. If they are cruising with other that aren't in suites, don't like those seats, want shade, etc their seats will go unused. This is where I have the issue with this policy.

milford_cruiser - I know you are kidding but thought the same thing myself!

It goes beyond the thread, truly. My DH actually stated the other night that he is concerned that fellow passengers will be negative towards myself and him, due to us taking advantage of our "out of suite perks".

No passenger should be treated any differently based on their room selection.

Perhaps the reason as to why the seats are empty, is due to fellow passengers acting negatively towards them. I for one, will utilize all if not most of my suite perks and will do so because they are available to me. No one will prevent my DH & I from enjoying our cruise, as will DH & I ever "flaunt" our status as suite guest's or act differently towards any other passenger.

From RC in an e-mail:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Currently, reserved pool seating is only offered on Voyager- and Freedom-class vessels as part of the Enhanced Suite Program.

So-the reserved chairs are not fleet wide.

I never did understand the "chair hog" problem. DH and I are not "chair" people; however, on our recent Explorer cruise, he wanted to sit in the sun. We went to the Solarium and saw numerous chairs with towels on them. One even had a full glass of Coke (no ice) beside it. We asked the lady in the adjoining chair if someone had been there recently, and she said no. We moved the Coke and removed the towels. No problem. No one ever showed up.

Why is that so hard?

Because sometimes they do come back and are confrontational @$$es.

Because sometimes they do come back and are confrontational @$$es.

U are suggesting because someone might take offence we do not assert ourselves?

Simply ignore them (this usually does it) but start screaming or raise your voice to a yell if male :), if u feel threatened (this also is most effective) or ask for security if it esculates & if although extremely unlikely - u are physically attacked - they can be arrested.....

It is simple, folks sometimes choose to make it more complicated though..IMO anyway!

Well, that seems to be becoming a standard come back when ever there is a discussion around here on any subject that raises a bit of controversy. If you don't like the "whining" don't read the thread.....

And if u don't like his/her post he/she cld ask u the same - why are u reading & responding to it...? We all have the same rights on CC...or did or has it changed?

Besides, IMO, the poster is correct, whining will not change anything, RCL has decided, and it is their cruiseline, that suite pax get this perk. Doesn't cost them anything and that is the name of this game.

Give more, get more suite pax and it costs nothing...the cruiseship co & shareholders are happy!!

U & some others might not be but I don't suppose they really care as this will soon be accepted as the norm and folks forget fairly quickly...ask any polititian :)

U are suggesting because someone might take offence we do not assert ourselves?

Simply ignore them (this usually does it) but start screaming or raise your voice to a yell if male :), if u feel threatened (this also is most effective) or ask for security if it esculates & if although extremely unlikely - u are physically attacked - they can be arrested.....

It is simple, folks sometimes choose to make it more complicated though..IMO anyway!

I was simply answering petesweet's question, not "suggesting" anything.

Some of us have no desire to engage in the behaviors you describe while on vacation (or any other time, for that matter).

I would ask the pool attendant to remove the items once I was certain the chair-hogging owners hadn't been around for a while. Your mileage clearly varies.

They need a simple little egg timer attached to each chair with a 15 minute count. If you need to get up for a short time, you set the timer. People should politely leave a chair empty if the timer is running. DING! When the 15 minutes are up, if you aren't back, the chair is fair game.

I was simply answering petesweet's question, not "suggesting" anything.

Some of us have no desire to engage in the behaviors you describe while on vacation (or any other time, for that matter).

I would ask the pool attendant to remove the items once I was certain the chair-hogging owners hadn't been around for a while. Your mileage clearly varies.

I apologize then, I thought u were intimating that some folks cld be confrontational and implying thereby that it might be dangerous..

While I agree with u that likely none of us wishes to confront anyone & esp when on vacation sometimes, u might agree, it does become necessary.. What wld u do if after obtaining the seat u were confronted by the former 'owner' who is as u said an a-- & aggressive?

I was simply outlining possible solutions, attempting to assist others who might find themselves in this situation hoping of course, none ever do..and I hope I succeeded.

My mileage clearly varies - yes indeed!

Have happy cruisin'!

They need a simple little egg timer attached to each chair with a 15 minute count. If you need to get up for a short time, you set the timer. People should politely leave a chair empty if the timer is running. DING! When the 15 minutes are up, if you aren't back, the chair is fair game.

Excellent suggestion - wld work for 'moi' anyway...:)

Have happy cruisin'!

I apologize then, I thought u were intimating that some folks cld be confrontational and implying thereby that it might be dangerous..

While I agree with u that likely none of us wishes to confront anyone & esp when on vacation sometimes, u might agree, it does become necessary.. What wld u do if after obtaining the seat u were confronted by the former 'owner' who is as u said an a-- & aggressive?

I was simply outlining possible solutions, attempting to assist others who might find themselves in this situation hoping of course, none ever do..and I hope I succeeded.

My mileage clearly varies - yes indeed!

Have happy cruisin'!

worst case scenario I a) refer the chair hogs to the pool attendant and b) ask my 6'3" 250lb DH to stand up and .... call security, LOL.

worst case scenario I a) refer the chair hogs to the pool attendant and b) ask my 6'3" 250lb DH to stand up and .... call security, LOL.

Giggle...works for me...unfortunately I am not so lucky - 5' & female but if one of those a--es bothers 'moi'...they had better watch out for their 'ankles' :D

Have happy cruisin'!

And if u don't like his/her post he/she cld ask u the same - why are u reading & responding to it...? We all have the same rights on CC...or did or has it changed?

Besides, IMO, the poster is correct, whining will not change anything, RCL has decided, and it is their cruiseline, that suite pax get this perk. Doesn't cost them anything and that is the name of this game.

Give more, get more suite pax and it costs nothing...the cruiseship co & shareholders are happy!!

U & some others might not be but I don't suppose they really care as this will soon be accepted as the norm and folks forget fairly quickly...ask any polititian :)

I read it because it is part of this thread which I am interested in. We all have our opinions and we all have a right to express them. However, telling folks to "get over it and stop whining" is just plain rude. Disagreeing with people is fine. Dismissing their concerns as, in my opinion, that comment does is rude and wrong. No matter how much I disagree with people I at least try to acknowledge their concerns and try to understand where they are coming from. And THAT was my issue with the post.

By the way, I am a share holder and I am anything but happy about that....but it has nothing to do with suite perks....$5.95 close today!

And....you are very right about Americans' short memories and politicians!!

I never did understand the "chair hog" problem. DH and I are not "chair" people; however, on our recent Explorer cruise, he wanted to sit in the sun. We went to the Solarium and saw numerous chairs with towels on them. One even had a full glass of Coke (no ice) beside it. We asked the lady in the adjoining chair if someone had been there recently, and she said no. We moved the Coke and removed the towels. No problem. No one ever showed up.

Why is that so hard?

Works for me; that's what I do. I'd bet half the time people just leave towels on the chairs after they're done. It's not like you can't just go to the towel area and pick up another one if you want.

I just go up to someone near where I want to sit and ask has anyone been in these two chairs recently. If they say no, we take 'em. I haven't been approached by anyone yet.

I read it because it is part of this thread which I am interested in. We all have our opinions and we all have a right to express them. However, telling folks to "get over it and stop whining" is just plain rude. Disagreeing with people is fine. Dismissing their concerns as, in my opinion, that comment does is rude and wrong. No matter how much I disagree with people I at least try to acknowledge their concerns and try to understand where they are coming from. And THAT was my issue with the post.

By the way, I am a share holder and I am anything but happy about that....but it has nothing to do with suite perks!

And....you are very right about Americans' short memories and politicians!!

I agree - so far my "buy high and watch the countdown to bankruptcy" approach to investing isn't working out so well :rolleyes:

btw next month's cruise is in a JS, but that's still technically "steerage" (so this isn't a total thread hijack ;) ). we have never booked above a JS. I think if we decided to pay those suite fares, we'd rather move up to a premium cruise line.

Giggle...works for me...unfortunately I am not so lucky - 5' & female but if one of those a--es bothers 'moi'...they had better watch out for their 'ankles' :D

Have happy cruisin'!

Hahahahahaha! An ankle biter? Are you seriously calling yourself a toy poodle? :D

FWIW, I'd come to assist you. Sounds like we'd get along just fine... ;)

Have happy cruisin'!

ya know i have read about people fighting over chairs but i have never actually seen it. it's hard to imagine fighting over something so stupid. hopefully neither of us ever have to deal with it! but I like your plan!!

I read it because it is part of this thread which I am interested in. We all have our opinions and we all have a right to express them. However, telling folks to "get over it and stop whining" is just plain rude. Disagreeing with people is fine. Dismissing their concerns as, in my opinion, that comment does is rude and wrong.

Oceanboy, it's not rude. There should be no concern as to the "out of suite perks" that RCL or any other cruise line offers to it's suite passengers. What is rude is fellow CC's suggesting that suite passengers should feel shame in utlilizing such perks, or hence not be entitled to such perks due to it "limiting access" to public space to fellow passengers. Luxury hotels have been offering such perks for years now, cruise lines are late in the game, IMO.

Yes we all are entitled to our own opinion's, of course. However, the constant critisim of such perks, does project a negativity which is IMO beyond your control, even as a share holder.

Archived