Are you First class or Steerage?

Oceanboy, it's not rude. There should be no concern as to the "out of suite perks" that RCL or any other cruise line offers to it's suite passengers. What is rude is fellow CC's suggesting that suite passengers should feel shame in utlilizing such perks, or hence not be entitled to such perks due to it "limiting access" to public space to fellow passengers. Luxury hotels have been offering such perks for years now, cruise lines are late in the game, IMO.

Yes we all are entitled to our own opinion's, of course. However, the constant critisim of such perks, does project a negativity which is IMO beyond your control, even as a share holder.

I hope you were not directing the negativity part of that to me. I, actually, have not voiced any opinion on this subject anywhere on this thread. And I certainly have not supported anyone who has made such comments.

I completely agree with you that if RCI offers a perk to a particular set of guests then those folks have every right to take advantage of those perks and in no way should they feel any guilt about it. If anything, folks could have an issue with RCI which is making the rules but not the passengers who are simply taking advantage of them.

I am still on the fence about this entire issue. I do see the point people are making that seating by the pool could just go empty because the folks who are entitled to that space may prefer to sit elsewhere. And we all know that pool seating can be at a premium. Maybe at the ice and other shows seating could be reserved until a certain time and then past a certain time any empty seats would be opened up to everyone. I would hate to see people denied space that ends up going unused. That would be my major issue with this program at this time.

Overall, I need to give the concept more thought. Though premium hotels may have been doing this for awhile it is a new concept to mass market cruise lines. The other difference with hotels is that they do not tend to be the "destination". They are a place to stay when visiting some place. When it comes to a cruise ship it is far more than just a place to stay on your way to an island. For many it is the destination.

Time will tell how this all plays out.

I hope you were not directing the negativity part of that to me.

Actually no...I was directing such at you.

I completely agree with you that if RCI offers a perk to a particular set of guests then those folks have every right to take advantage of those perks and in no way should they feel any guilt about it. If anything, folks could have an issue with RCI which is making the rules but not the passengers who are simply taking advantage of them.

That's was indeed my main point and thank you

I do see the point people are making that seating by the pool could just go empty because the folks who are entitled to that space may prefer to sit elsewhere.

I do agree, as I prefer to sit in the solarium area.

Maybe at the ice and other shows seating could be reserved until a certain time and then past a certain time any empty seats would be opened up to everyone.

Of course, it would indeed be silly to keep such seats empty for the show's. They should indeed be released, say 10 mins to showtime.

On the Voyager and Freedom class they are reserving the tiered sections on either side of the pool bar. At least that's what has been reported. Personally I don't care for those seats and unfortunately I don't think a lot of other do. My fear is that the suite passengers won't sit there leaving their seats empty and will end up taking away seats from those of us in 'steerage'.

Now, they have the right to sit wherever they want just as I believe everyone does in the public areas. If they are cruising with other that aren't in suites, don't like those seats, want shade, etc their seats will go unused. This is where I have the issue with this policy.

milford_cruiser - I know you are kidding but thought the same thing myself!

The # of chairs is less than the # of suite pax. So if a suite guest does not sit there it is not taking away from someone else in the other deck areas. On our sailing the suite chairs were pretty full so it didn't appear those chairs were wasted either. So your concerns about unused chairs may not be necessary.

If everyone saw those areas firsthand I don't think there would be as big a fuss about this because the reserved areas are relatively small.

The # of chairs is less than the # of suite pax. So if a suite guest does not sit there it is not taking away from someone else in the other deck areas. On our sailing the suite chairs were pretty full so it didn't appear those chairs were wasted either. So your concerns about unused chairs may not be necessary.

If everyone saw those areas firsthand I don't think there would be as big a fuss about this because the reserved areas are relatively small.

awatt, I sure do hope you are right, but until this has been proven out I do have a concern. I know exactly what area is being talked about and I believe on an earlier thread someone counted the seats and it was around 60. I could be off on that but it was close to that number. On a ship the size of Freedom is that a large percentage of seats, no, but it could make the difference on a busy sailing. There have been a few reviews saying it did make the seating issue worse. Were they exaggerating? I can't say.

Is the concern too much, maybe, but people do need to understand it could be an issue.

awatt, I sure do hope you are right, but until this has been proven out I do have a concern. I know exactly what area is being talked about and I believe on an earlier thread someone counted the seats and it was around 60. I could be off on that but it was close to that number. On a ship the size of Freedom is that a large percentage of seats, no, but it could make the difference on a busy sailing. There have been a few reviews saying it did make the seating issue worse. Were they exaggerating? I can't say.

Is the concern too much, maybe, but people do need to understand it could be an issue.

If I remember correctly there were 4 rows on each side with 6 chairs each. So 48 total,give or take depending on how good my memory is.

The theater seats were even fewer- maybe 15 at most. Don't quote me, but it was a vey small #. And no staff monitored it, so basically anyone could sit down there at the theater. The ice show had someone checking cards.

They need a simple little egg timer attached to each chair with a 15 minute count. If you need to get up for a short time, you set the timer. People should politely leave a chair empty if the timer is running. DING! When the 15 minutes are up, if you aren't back, the chair is fair game.

But I swim for more than 15 min...should I give up my chair?

That's was indeed my main point and thank you

I am glad that you clarified where you were coming from. I just didn't get that from the first post of yours that I commented on. With some of what I have read on this thread coupled with the thread a short time ago where people wrote of not wanting to sail on a ship with the "cheapos" because of what they have "seen" (whatever that means), and another having to pay more for her pictures because other people are not spending enough money on board, I was just starting to get some bad vibes about class and elitism rearing its head. I hope that is not where we are headed with cruising.

I find it a bit odd that folks here have commented on the different color of the seapass cards for suite guests. I don't think I would have ever noticed. Just like I take no notice of what people are wearing, how much they are spending, or how much they are tipping. It seems that some folks spend way too much of their time on a cruise worrying about what others are doing. I just go to spend a week with no pager, cell phone, interupted dinners, and having a good time with my family.

I find it a bit odd that folks here have commented on the different color of the seapass cards for suite guests. I don't think I would have ever noticed. Just like I take no notice of what people are wearing, how much they are spending, or how much they are tipping. It seems that some folks spend way too much of their time on a cruise worrying about what others are doing. I just go to spend a week with no pager, cell phone, interupted dinners, and having a good time with my family.

I don't think people would worry about it as much on a cruise as on cruisecritic. On an actual cruise I think we'd all be in a better and lighthearted mood! :)

I am glad that you clarified where you were coming from. I just didn't get that from the first post of yours that I commented on. With some of what I have read on this thread coupled with the thread a short time ago where people wrote of not wanting to sail on a ship with the "cheapos" because of what they have "seen" (whatever that means), and another having to pay more for her pictures because other people are not spending enough money on board, I was just starting to get some bad vibes about class and elitism rearing its head. I hope that is not where we are headed with cruising.

I would've noticed the card colors but I wouldn't have cared enough to figure out that it meant they were in a suite. I might've been able to deduce it but I just wouldn't have cared. I also wouldn't notice how much people are tipping or spending.

I would notice what people are wearing though, but that's because I'm a fan of fashion. I wouldn't make snap judgements about them but I would certainly notice how well they put an outfit together.

I am glad that you clarified where you were coming from. I just didn't get that from the first post of yours that I commented on.

I did realize perhap's you did get the wrong vibe from my comment. Part of my post did come from my frustration as to why fellow cruisers are some consumed with the "suite perks". I have cruised since the age of 12yrs of age, from an interior room, to a balcony, and being that DH & I have yet to have children, we enjoy the posh setting on the suites and all that comes along with them. We have never, nor will we ever, think of ourselves as more worthy of a sun lounger or a theater seat, simply because we're suite guests. On our last cruise aboard the LOS, we were snubbed by fellow suite passengers in the CL lounge, due to our young appearence in comparison to them. For goodness sakes even the Concierge inquired as to what DH & I do for a living (perhaps given our age and cabin choice).

I would've noticed the card colors but I wouldn't have cared enough to figure out that it meant they were in a suite. I might've been able to deduce it but I just wouldn't have cared. I also wouldn't notice how much people are tipping or spending.

. I wouldn't mI would notice what people are wearing though, but that's because I'm a fan of fashionake snap judgements about them but I would certainly notice how well they put an outfit together.

I would never notice what "color" card anyone uses. Who cares? :confused:

But, I'm with you as I notice fashion. :o:o

I tell my DH, if I ever wear big white shoes, please shoot me. :D

I would never notice what "color" card anyone uses. Who cares? :confused:

But, I'm with you as I notice fashion. :o:o

I tell my DH, if I ever wear big white shoes, please shoot me. :D

My concern - and perhaps the concern of some others - was not that OTHER PASSENGERS would notice the color but that the different color was to alert the crew to provide special attention (as stated). That concern has been satisfied for me. I hope for others. It's probably just for a quick ID for entrance into special events.

I'm an inside cabin kinda guy; just don't spend enough time in the room to justify the extra expenses. That said, I have no problem with most of the extra perks suite passengers will receive. It's probably about time suite passengers got something extra for their extensively higher costs, especially since most of these perks are relatively low cost to the cruise line. I do, however, have a problem with the reserved seating. As others have iterated, this can be perceived as taking something away from non-suite passenger and can be very frustrating when prime location "reserved" seats are sitting empty during at sea days. Of course, the cruise line can minimize the impact by FINALLY strictly and consistently enforcing rules against the dreaded chair hogs.

Regarding the gold card - I see it more as a pass into suite passenger only areas. Slip the bar staff an extra $1 or $2 every round of drinks; believe me, they'll treat you first class....

So are they changing our card colors?

I only liked how carnival did it based on number of cruises, easy to pick out the experianced folks.

We travel steerage class on RCCL, outside, no balcony

On NCL, and carnival, always a balcony, cheaper rates, I always kind of put a limit on the room, If I can grab a balcony for 700 for a week, i will take it, but if not, nope. We are platinum crown and anchor on RCCL.

My guess is that the Gold seapass cards will mean about as much as Gold credit cards, with the only practical effect being quick ID to get into the suites-only section at the pool/shows.

Not to the pax who desperately want them so everyone will know who they are. ;)

I've even seen posts about how disappointed a pax was that their card was not the appropriate color.:rolleyes: So it can be very important to certain pax that they get to flash that card so everyone will know just how important they really are.:p

Royal Caribbean has wheelchair accessable cabins that are NOT suites! They have a few wheelchair cabins in the Interior category, the Oceanview category, and Balcony category!

I think what the poster was trying to point out was that the highest catagory cabin you can have , that is accessible is a JS.

Therefore disabled people will not be able to get these perks whether they wanted to pay for them or not.

Good grief. :eek:

If we sail in a balcony (white card), JS (Silver card), or a GS and above (Gold card). Who the f cares??? We certainly don't. :rolleyes::cool::eek:

It's all about having fun on a cruise and meeting fun people. :):)

Good grief. :eek:

If we sail in a balcony (white card), JS (Silver card), or a GS and above (Gold card). Who the f cares??? We certainly don't. :rolleyes::cool::eek:

It's all about having fun on a cruise and meeting fun people. :):)

Could NOT have said it better myself!!

(Hey, are we neighbors? We're in Summerlin)

Archived