Tired of the bad Carnival Rep

CanWeGoYet?

3. A small percentage is what I call "second place syndrome". No one likes the biggest!! It is the reason that RCCL Cruise Directors do idiotic things like have passengers get on one side of the ship and yell "Walmart" at a Carnival ship docked beside it. RCCL will never get over the fact that they lost Princess and Cunard to Carnival. I don't care how big a ship RCCL builds....they still don't have Cunard!

You're kidding me, right????

Well, I have definitely heard the bad rap that Carnival has had over the years. My parents, though, are those kind of snooty people that you all talk about sailing other cruises. They have a tendency to hold their noses just a little too far up in the air for my taste. They first sailed Carnival back in 1992, it was their very first cruise and they loved it. They always travel with groups when they cruise and because of Carnival's bad rep they never sailed on her again. Well last year, they took upon themselves to go ahead and cruise on their own and they decided to give Carnival another chance. They absolutely loved it!! And as soon as I told my mom we were doing Carnival this year she said, "That's the best line there is as far as I'm concerned. You are going to love it!" I knew if my hoity toity parents loved Carnival it can't hardly be as bad as folks were making it out to be. Because my parents are NOT party animals in the least.

Tahoe-

If you've done all that research, you already know this but, you are going to LOVE the Legend.:D My favorite ship to date. I always say never go on the same ship twice with so many choices out there, but I am looking at booking her again in 2010 for a group cruise/work related because I would love to go on her again.

Let us know...

Happy sailing!

Lisa:p

or why do people let what others think of a certain thing bother them or base their choice off of that. Make up your own mind......Carnival for me is a love affair...I got married on Carnival.....have been back on 6 times since then and will stay with them.......make up your own mind...people will talk bad about Jesus but we do not stop going to Church.....lol lol

If you want a pretty good party ship book the 3 day out of California;)

After 8 3day and 4day cruises on the Paradise at all times of the year, this past February 4day was the one that was partying the hardest. It also had the most walkers, scooters and wheelchairs than any HAL cruise I have been on. It was a very interesting cruise.

This ship (and the Elation) are going to see a more diverse crowd now that they are the only line on the west coast doing the 3 and 4 day cruises.

People will and do give bad reps based on past years. I mean like well, you know, not all of us who, like you know, were teenagers in the San Fernando Valley in the 80's spoke Valley girl, like you know. :p

It would be silly, but the transatlantic I've booked with X is no more expensive than what I had reserved on carnival - carnival canceled the whole cruise. Went up to a balcony with X, after recent price reductions I believe the balconies on the Carnival sailing were more expensive.

Transatlantic repositioning cruises are the best priced cruises on any line. The ta prices are in no way a reflection of a lines normal home port cruises.

We love ta's and only look at the itinerary and price [and date]. The name of the line is unimportant. We will enjoy the cruise and some time in Europe pre or post cruise.

Tink and Kurb,

I guess my first post wasn't sarcastic enough for either of you. Sure the CCL board has a defensive attitude, but not near the defensive attitude found on other boards. That's why I hang here and only spend time on the other boards when I'm booked on their line. On board, they are more like people than they are on the boards. [OR, I manage to avoid the die hards.]

The only lines I ABSOLUTELY would not sail again went OOB after 9/11 [or before]

Dan

Well, honestly, who cares what anyone else thinks? I don't cruise to please anyone but myself and my family. We love cruising and feel like it's genuinely enhanced our lives. I can't imagine caring what anyone else thinks about what lines I choose to cruise on and why.

I've been on RCI, X, and Carnival and we're currently looking at Princess. The truth is that we enjoy Carnival, ten to 1, more than other lines we've chosen, so far. As a matter of fact, we HATED the Mariner. That was the worst cruise we've ever taken, and while it wasn't horrific, it certainly wasn't even close to great! We enjoy the service on X, but other than that, it's quite sedate and, quite frankly, a touch boring. Of course, we're 37 and 40, with four children, and I'm not quite ready to be hitting the sack every night at 10 p.m. sharp or sitting stiffly in a lounge listening to Sinatra while sipping a cognac.

Most of the mass marketed lines are so similar, I really don't see the fuss in one being "better" than the other. There are some slight differences, but most of them just aren't enough to turn us completely away from one line or the other. Carnival works for us because we like the options they offer, the food, and the relaxed atmosphere.

There are those that believe Carnival is inexpensive, and therefore cheap. There are those that believe Carnival is geared toward the less educated, as well. I've heard every excuse under the sun, and then find out later, they've never stepped foot on a Carnival ship. That sounds like ignorance to me. ...insert a shrug there... To each his own, right?

However, just to stir the pot for all you that judge with no prior knowledge, I'm quite educated and own my own company, as does my husband. We don't struggle to cruise, nor do we choose Carnival because it's "cheap". We choose them because, for us, the people are more...real. They don't pretend to be anything other than someone having a good time on a vacation.

I've never had someone ask me what I "do" on a Carnival cruise. On both RCI and X, it's an inevitable question. They seem to need to know whether to be impressed or not.

I always get the biggest kick out of seeing your average, every day person dressed to the nines and giving those, "I'm SOOO much better than you stares", to people dressed in blue jeans. I suppose they simply don't see the irony in believing themselves "better" than someone they've never met simply because that complete stranger is wearing denim. It's just too funny to me.

...RCCL Cruise Directors do idiotic things like have passengers get on one side of the ship and yell "Walmart" at a Carnival ship docked beside it.

Seriously?! Does anyone else see that as extremely immature and insecure?

I can't really speak to Carnival...yet! We will sail that line (Pride) for the first time late this summer. We chose it because we wanted to leave out of Baltimore and it was a good 1K less than a similar cruise with RCCL (our family of 5 is cruising).

I am excited to give them a try. Hubby and I sailed on Princess in the fall and I loved it. The only frustrations I had on that cruise, save one night of bad Caesar salad in the dining room (and that wasn't even a frustration, the lettuce just happened to be bitter that time, and I just didn't eat it - plenty of other things to choose from :)), were with rude passengers, not the cruise line itself.

Bottom line: I want to have fun and meet real people who are also there to have fun. I don't care what they look like, where they come from - as long as they are considerate and appropriate in their words and actions.

Well, honestly, who cares what anyone else thinks? I don't cruise to please anyone but myself and my family. We love cruising and feel like it's genuinely enhanced our lives. I can't imagine caring what anyone else thinks about what lines I choose to cruise on and why.

I've been on RCI, X, and Carnival and we're currently looking at Princess. The truth is that we enjoy Carnival, ten to 1, more than other lines we've chosen, so far. As a matter of fact, we HATED the Mariner. That was the worst cruise we've ever taken, and while it wasn't horrific, it certainly wasn't even close to great! We enjoy the service on X, but other than that, it's quite sedate and, quite frankly, a touch boring. Of course, we're 37 and 40, with four children, and I'm not quite ready to be hitting the sack every night at 10 p.m. sharp or sitting stiffly in a lounge listening to Sinatra while sipping a cognac.

Most of the mass marketed lines are so similar, I really don't see the fuss in one being "better" than the other. There are some slight differences, but most of them just aren't enough to turn us completely away from one line or the other. Carnival works for us because we like the options they offer, the food, and the relaxed atmosphere.

There are those that believe Carnival is inexpensive, and therefore cheap. There are those that believe Carnival is geared toward the less educated, as well. I've heard every excuse under the sun, and then find out later, they've never stepped foot on a Carnival ship. That sounds like ignorance to me. ...insert a shrug there... To each his own, right?

However, just to stir the pot for all you that judge with no prior knowledge, I'm quite educated and own my own company, as does my husband. We don't struggle to cruise, nor do we choose Carnival because it's "cheap". We choose them because, for us, the people are more...real. They don't pretend to be anything other than someone having a good time on a vacation.

I've never had someone ask me what I "do" on a Carnival cruise. On both RCI and X, it's an inevitable question. They seem to need to know whether to be impressed or not.

I always get the biggest kick out of seeing your average, every day person dressed to the nines and giving those, "I'm SOOO much better than you stares", to people dressed in blue jeans. I suppose they simply don't see the irony in believing themselves "better" than someone they've never met simply because that complete stranger is wearing denim. It's just too funny to me.

Agree 100%...Those people who go around the ship looking down on others because of how they are dressed or how they are acting are not real people. The majority of these people lead very miserable lives...They wouldn't know how to let loose and actually enjoy themselves if it kicked them in the A$$!! The funny part is, the majority of the rest of us probably live alot more productive lives, have better jobs, live in nicer homes, drive nicer cars and are able enjoy our cruises or any other vacation a whole lot more. Just happier in general. I know, thats all material and superficial but these people feel those things are important therefore have to act as if they have it all. Damn, that must be tiring!!

I remember this one lady, we shared a table with in the dining room a couple of years back, she threw a complete fit because I didn't use the proper fork for what ever it was I was eating at the time. She was absolutely horrified that I didn't know the difference. I simply explained that if it picked up the food and got it in my mouth, that was enough for me. The funniest part of this story is that as she continued her rant about proper etiquette and which cutlery was for what I abruptly dove my face into the plate, made grunting noises and started shoving food in my mouth with my fingers. Although, I made a total mess of myself, my clothes and the table, the look on that poor womans face was priceless and will forever be etched in my mind. Never saw her again. I guess she switched her seating arrangement.

Ok, I went off topic a little but it felt good to get that out!!

People with tattoos don't cruise on other lines :confused::confused::confused:

Cruisetobeaches if certainly more correct than most ever know...Better believe some people you think would NEVER have a tattoo do...Sometimes even the children of those parents who don't care for tattoos later hear that their kid got it in a usually unseen place. So righteous Moms & Dads, once that kid is over 18 yrs. old...never say never!

You have no idea how many young people I have heard of getting them done in spots covered by a bathing suit & never telling their parents.

My BIL owns 3 tattoo places & let me tell you, my sister & her family go on top of the line vacations well paid for by the ever growing desire to get inked!

Bad etiquette? Which is worse, using the wrong flatware or making such a scene? :eek:

Your response made me laugh!! Bad etiquette on my part? Absolutely!! It was an uncontrolable meltdown.I guarantee though if you had been there you would've been laughing right along with us!! Even our waiter had a chuckle when he saw the mess I was in.

Your response made me laugh!! Bad etiquette on my part? Absolutely!! It was an uncontrolable meltdown.I guarantee though if you had been there you would've been laughing right along with us!! Even our waiter had a chuckle when he saw the mess I was in.

I had to laugh at your post also, but I guess I didn't make myself clear, and I guess you missed my previous post. I thought her reaction was the height of bad etiquette, far worse than any exhibition on your part. :)

I vote this post as the stupid one of the day....and it is quite early in the day !!

Jen

Look back, the "why so defensive?" post is from a one post wonder, who knows whether just trying to stir the pot. I'm leaning toward it being an alter ego of a poster who was dripping snooty attitude regarding carnival passengers on a different section of the board.

I had to laugh at your post also, but I guess I didn't make myself clear, and I guess you missed my previous post. I thought her reaction was the height of bad etiquette, far worse than any exhibition on your part. :)

Absolutely. The crux of etiquette is to consider the feelings of those around you - far far more rude to point out & carry on about selecting the wrong fork than to be the one using it.

You're kidding me, right????

Actually she is not kidding.........but it is all about kidding. Carnival and RCCL have had this rivalry for years.......It is a joke people. Some people can't take a joke;)

On board, they are more like people than they are on the boards.

Dan

OMG This is sooo true........but the sad thing is some people that only sail Carnival believe the attitude of these boards are how it is in reality:D

Pretty sad........

I have done 6 of the 3 day cruises to Ensenada from LA. 1/2 were on Carnival and 1/2 were on RCCL. The only differences that I noticed were nicer carpeting on RCCL and funner passengers on CCL. Each time I cruised RCCL, I ended up wishing I was on Carnival because all of the coolest people that I met in Ensenada were always on the Carnival boat.

Cruisetobeaches if certainly more correct than most ever know...Better believe some people you think would NEVER have a tattoo do...Sometimes even the children of those parents who don't care for tattoos later hear that their kid got it in a usually unseen place. So righteous Moms & Dads, once that kid is over 18 yrs. old...never say never!

You have no idea how many young people I have heard of getting them done in spots covered by a bathing suit & never telling their parents.

My BIL owns 3 tattoo places & let me tell you, my sister & her family go on top of the line vacations well paid for by the ever growing desire to get inked!

I too know of those from all walks of life that are inked. I got my first when I was 50. It's in good taste (actually reflects cruising) and is covered unless I am wearing shorts. Our adult children, some with tattoos of their own, were a little surprised! I've had a lot of nice comments about it and none have been negative.

It just seems odd that the poster pointed out tattoos on Carnival...........I've seen much stranger things...........And not just on the ship!!:eek:

Look back, the "why so defensive?" post is from a one post wonder, who knows whether just trying to stir the pot. I'm leaning toward it being an alter ego of a poster who was dripping snooty attitude regarding carnival passengers on a different section of the board.

I am sure you are quite right....

Jen

My exhibition!! That would be a more subtle way to describe my meltdown at the table that evening. Poor thing probably had nightmares for weeks after. Oh well, she had a good tale of disgust about the kind of people on Carnival, meaning me, to tell her snooty etiquette proper friends back home. :D

Archived